Ron

I want to (re)learn Spanish

I know some, but it is so rusty that I want to work on it.

Two ways.

1. Anyone know of some good Audio CD's for learning it?

2. Anyone know a good immersion course?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I don't know where you live but I took the Clemson Language Immersion Program this past summer and it rocked. It brought together my highschool and college spanish in 5 weeks and now I'm able to speak (a good amount) and understand (some) native speakers in normal conversation. I'm going to study in Chile for a semester this spring.

Dixie
HISPA #56 Facil Rodriguez
"Scientific research has shown that 60% of the time, it works every time."

I pickedup instant immersion spanish on PC-CDROM at a truck stop a few years back for 10 bucks. I used it once.

I really should use it again though, that's why I bought it. :S As a driver, I was getting sick of knowing (by facial expressions) when a group of people were talking about me, and not knowing what they were saying. [:/]
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I studied French and Spanish in high school and was pretty good with both languages, but if you don't use it, you lose it! The past few years, I've been going to Mexico about once a year, and I've been trying to remember/ improve my Spanish. I've used tapes and 2 different computer programs, with varying degrees of success. If you're diligent, you can learn a lot this way, but you won't have the feedback of a teacher or the conversation practice. (I used to play the tapes in the car when I was driving to and from work or the dz.) I can travel in Mexico and get by, communicate with taxi drivers and sales people, order meals, no problem! But for me, that wasn't enough anymore so I finally broke down and enrolled in some classes. The classes I am taking are small (5 students in my class), designed for adults and are conversational while focusing on grammar and vocabulary. It really forces me to think and listen for 3 hours a week, anyway, which is better than just repeating after a tape! My suggestion is you look around and try to find something like that in your area, then go check the place out, maybe sit in on a class. If all else fails, there's always Berlitz, but they're kind of pricey and I've heard mixed reviews about them. Good luck!

maura

Yes, it is sad. But I learned Spanish (sort of) years ago in Memphis....So my Spanish was pathetic then, and with a southern drawl.

"Mi hablo espanola un poco,.....partner".

I never even tried to learn it once I lived here...And that I regret.

So now I am trying to fix it.

I am thinking of a three step approach.

1. A CD set that will refresh me some.
2. An Immersion course.
3. Talking to my Spanish speaking friends when I get back as much as I can.

So, I have the Spanish speaking friends...I need a CD course, and then an immersion course.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I think Berlitz has a course that's used for diplomats to teach them foreign languages fast.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

Also get some spanish magazines or books. Dont start of with Don Quixote, just something to exercise your mind and start getting use to the structure of sentances in Spanish. It will also help out your vocab too. Barnes and Noble and Borders have magazines from Spain and Mexico also newspapers too. Good luck.

I've used Pimsleur tapes which are pretty good, however unless you can get your hands on a used set, for what they cost new, you might as well take a class.

Check your local public library. The one on campus here has an audio book section and they have a variety of those language immersion tapes/cds.

Dixie
HISPA #56 Facil Rodriguez
"Scientific research has shown that 60% of the time, it works every time."

3. Talking to my Spanish speaking friends when I get back as much as I can.

As some one has said, the best way to learn Spanish is to live it.
So if you have Spanish speaking friends explain to them that you want
to relearn Spanish and that they only speak Spanish to you.that way you will pick up
the pronunciation, and be forced to think.
The problem with learning Spanish (or any language) from classes or courses is that it
is always gramatically correct, thats fine for asking questions or ordering a beer, but
every language is spoken colloqually So you'll need to learn the street version

Just my views Hasta luego amigo,

Gone fishing

Just take a trip to Mexico and get lost for a few days.....figure out where you are, how you got there, how to survive there, and how to get out, and you'll know it as well as you want to......or die trying. B|

(Holy run on sentence, Batman!! B|)

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Just move to Miami for a few weeks. I actually have 6 years of Spanish in School got mostly A's and B's. I did a term of Spanish in College and passed. Now I speak about 3 words and a lot of slang and profanity. At a time I could hold a converstaion, but if you dont use it regularly you loose it fast.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!