SkydiveNFlorida

Nextel phone users, please reply..

Hey, i'm looking for a new phone service as mine is local only and I need travel capability. .

Do you like Nextel? What does the gps (global positioning system) capability help you with? What kind of phone did you pick? Which service do you have? Are you happy with it? Is roaming free? If roaming is free, and you are away from home, and call home, is that a long distance charge (assuming long distance isn't free)?

Any help would be awesome!
Angela.

There is no roaming with Nextel, you have service or you don't. I have an old phone the 550, will have had it for 3 years this November and never have had to change the battery. My plan is 1000 minutes a month, free incoming, free long distance, unlimited walkie talkie, and unlimited-limited online service, can check weather and such but can't get on MSN all for a low 63.00 a month. When talking to my friends, it seems I have the best phone out there, compared to other plans and phone, serivces, price, ect.

I talked to a Nextel person last week and said I wanted to increase my 1000 minute plan. She said that it was a special deal when I got it, and they don't have anything like it now. She told me to keep it and make more calls at night (I get 4000 minutes at night). Starting today, the radio will cost $10/month extra to go nationwide. Within your local network it's probably still free. Overall I'm pretty happy with Nextel in Florida, there are a few dead spots, but you can usually drive out of them quickly.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I have Nextel and quite frankly I don't like it. It works fine inside citites and major highways. However, as soon as I hit the countryside, I have no signal. At least here in my neck of the woods. I used to have Verizon and am definitely considering switching back. I have a nationwide coverage with free roaming free long distance and talkie walkie. But if I can't use it, there's no use.
You better check for the best coverage in your area. It might be different in Fla than MD, NoVA and DC.

JM

Hispas Brothers President
HISPA #2,

Yeah, I don't think I can keep it under 400. I had a 600 min plan and always ended up at like 800 mins... Looking at Verizon's "america's choice" plan, that looks pretty reasonable and seems like the coverage is pretty good here in Fla, and in RI. Not much coverage in the midwest, but don't plan on visiting anytime soon, so thats ok:)

thx!
Angela.

My company uses Nextel - I want to chuck the phone out the window on a regular basis. The only use I get out of it is the walkie talkie, however my customers don't have this, thereby they are subject to my usual disconnects on a regular basis. I resort to using my personal cell (Verizon) in order to get business taken care of. ciao, g

Raddest ho this side of Jersey #1 - rest in peace brother
Beth lost her cherry and I missed it
.... you want access to it, but you don't want to break it.

thought I would bump this up. I just found out that I get a discount on Nextel through work. I see that a lot of this thread is negative. I'm wondering if they have gotten better in the year since this thread or what other users can add. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

I had a Nextel and just switched to TMobile. I had one small issue with my Nextel Blackberry 6510 that no one really seemed to want to address. Through basic process of elimination, it wasn't the phone and possibly wasn't the network. Narrowed it down to the software on the phone. Unfortunately, Nextel's response was to swap out the phone ($35 cost to me) or upgrade ($160 cost to me). Well, I had already done the phone swap twice so I did the upgrade. Phone worked great...except where I primarily use it.
Nextel was great except when I had an oddball hardware problem. Then no one really cared.
-----
~~~Michael

Is expensive and no that great, for the reasons post go with something else anything, I have one my company pays 20% of it and still don't like it, the only good thing is I can call Skydive sebastian using the radio to check on the weather and things like that.
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

I just switched from Sprint to Verizon and have been quite happy. My sprint phone barely picked up a signal on the highways immediately around Atlanta. My verizon service has been strong throughout all of the rural travelling I've done since I got it.

I used to use a Nextel phone on occasion for work and never had anything but trouble. The whole walkie-talkie feature actually drives me kind of crazy too. One of my big pet peeves so I hated when people could contact me using it on the work phone.
Killing threads since 2004.

I have Nextel and use it thoughout a 5 state territory that I cover. I also have a T-mobile phone and have had Verizon in the past. I really like my Nextel Phones. Verizon has hands down the best coverage, but you will pay more for it. Sprint is hands down the worst in the midwest(I am based out of chicagoland area)
I have unlimited plans on my phones. If you go with nextel the i90 or i95 are both very good phones. Stay away from the i530 even though it is a newer model. Worst phone I have ever used. i730 is a great phone. You will not have as good as coverage as Verizon, but you will gain great features. Where you travel to(DZ location- ect.) may determine whether the Nextel will work for you. I use the Web based features on my Nextel on a daily basis. TWC, Mapquest, Up to the minute sports scores(play by play) E-mail ... much much more.
I also have a T-mobile Pocket PC phone which I can navigate any website with IE. I use this phone for getting my E-mail(pocket outlook) and the occasional web site. Besides the E-mail and reports(it has Excel and Word and is great for storing PDF which I can send[email or fax] from the truck) I use the Nextel more frequently. It is so simple and quick to use compared to other providers web services I have used. I am looking to getting a Verizon again, but I would really hate to give up my Nextel. I need to see what has changed in verizon as far as web navigation.

Josh
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.