skybytch

SoCal jumpers w/ O negative blood

Beautiful Teal colored tape on the left arm, stomach full of cookies, and a nifty gift for my 1 gallon donation level reached! :^)

Even if they won't take 'credit'?, we can make a huge donation in Eric's name by all going and donating. You just need to know his name and what hospital he's at. They'll do the rest.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Beautiful Teal colored tape on the left arm, stomach full of cookies, and a nifty gift for my 1 gallon donation level reached! :^)

Even if they won't take 'credit'?, we can make a huge donation in Eric's name by all going and donating. You just need to know his name and what hospital he's at. They'll do the rest.

ltdiver

It's really great to hear about all this donating!

I have not donated now in almost 2 years, but I have a very good reason.

I am O negative. A few years ago, I decided I wanted to donate blood. I went in, got poked and prodded, in other words, typed. I already knew I was O neg, but they had to be certain, of course. A doctor came out, before I donated, and had a heart to heart with me. You see, we have a small community, with a very small blood center. In fact, much of what is donated is shipped away to larger cities. This doctor asked, hell, practically begged me NOT to donate my blood.

OK, now you're thinking, this Doc's a quack. Well, sorry, you're wrong. He had a different proposal for me. He asked me to sign up on a list of type O neg donors, that would be available for an emergency transfusion. With his explaining, and almost pleading, it all made sense to me at the time.

So, I have now, to this day, donated 2 times. Both times, though, I can say I saved a life. These people would not be here were it not for a quick transfusion.

So, even though it's almost been 2 years, I'll wait, until that one person, in a life or death situation, needs help now.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I'm the same i havn't a clue what my blood type is b/c i am violently afriad of needles. :( I have the whole week off so i am gonna go find out what mine is. whats the fastest way to get typed?

Funny. I used to be just like that until I had to get used to taking GH injections (injecting myself in the leg) with 29 guage needles. Really shook me up at first but now its as easy as taking a pill, and I actually like it.

Last time I had blood tests taken, I insisted on watching the needle go in so I could see the blood spill out into the vial, I thought that was so cool! I wanted to stick the vain myself but the nurse wouldnt let me.[:/]

To everyone who is very small (under 110 lbs.) and wants to donate blood:

I called around and was told anyone under 110 lbs. WILL NOT be ALLOWED to donate blood at all to the Red Cross due to FDA regulations.

They explained that donating could be dangerous to the donor under 110 lbs. as the volume of blood needed would be too much blood to "safely" lose. They said basically that the donor could get sick as the smaller body could not handle it. Sorry, small people. At 95-100 lbs., I feel your frustration, but they will still take your monetary donations!

Hey girl, I've given blood while under weight at office blood drives, and it takes a good week to be even semi recovered. You are really light headed and tired for 2 to 3 days. It's something I definately wouldn't do while living in CO, which kind of sucks cause I am O-. [:/]
Fly it like you stole it!

sorry, effinjump and mujie don't have the right types. i hope he pulls through this as quickly as possible.

You can still donate in Eric's name, Rob.

ltdiver

Viking: find your nearest local American Red Cross donation center... http://www.redcross.org/donate/give/

Wow Sparky... 10 gallons is waaaaay commendable.... you've been at this a while, huh? More power to you. Makes my measly 2+ gal seem wimpy by contrast. Awesome!

Gardner

I started in 1964, probably a little bit before you did.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

sorry, effinjump and mujie don't have the right types. i hope he pulls through this as quickly as possible.

You can still donate in Eric's name, Rob.

ltdiver

i already do, about every two months, for the last 20 years. gawd i'm getting old!

Eric Denney has O negative blood. He's used so much that the Riverside blood bank ran out and they are now having to get it from San Bernadino. He's going to need more.

I know nothing about getting a blood donation to a specific place or person, but I know that O negative is rare. If you have O negative blood, are willing to donate and can make it out to the Riverside or San Bernadino blood banks (or somehow specify that your donation is to go there and be for Eric), please do.

Thanks.

Sorry for the small (18 month) delay but I just found this thread. Thank you to all of you that gave blood, attempted to give blood, made a donation, said a prayer, sent a card, or anything else for that matter. I suffered extremely severe internal and external bleeding and they were unable to control it for at least a few days. I understand that I went through an unspeakable amount of blood initially, using up all available O negative blood in that region of Riverside County and a most of the supply they had at the San Bernadino facilities. I also went through a tremendous amount of blood during the several subsequent surgeries over the next several weeks while I was still in a coma. Were it not for blood donors I simply would not be alive today, period. So keep that in mind and if you're physically able to donate blood you should try to do so occasionally, even if it's once a year. It doesn't cost you anything, it's great for your karma, many employers will let you take some time away from work to do it, and you just might be saving someone's life.

Oh, and thanks for letting me know what my blood type is! I didn't even know that I had O negative blood or how rare it was until I found this thread just now :)
...Eric

Glad to hear you got as much O- as you needed and that you are on the mend. I have O- and donate every 60 days.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Thanks Lori, hope you're doing well And thanks for the blood :)
I'm going to have a big get together at the end of the month at the DZ so I sure hope to see you there. I'll be driving my car but I'm bound to crutches. I'll post the date soon...

Blue skies,
E

I'm going to have a big get together at the end of the month at the DZ so I sure hope to see you there. I'll be driving my car but I'm bound to crutches. I'll post the date soon...

Just let us know where and when and we'll be there! It's been WAY too long!

Remember these pictures? :)
Lori

O- isn't that uncommon (7%) but O- type recipients have a shortage of donors in part because unlike other types they can only receive their own blood type and O- donations can be used for anyone.

So if you have O- blood your blood is particularly useful. Unfortunately if you ever need blood you've drawn the short straw, depending on how stocks are managed.

Edit: oops, never noticed the data & the bump.

OMG....Eric Denney. You don't know me, and I don't know you, except through the nurses and doctors at Riverside County Med Center. I broke my femur at Perris in August of 2003, and all the staff there kept talking about this Eric person and how bad he was hurt, and how hard he was fighting.

Since I was another skydiver, they brought me news of you during my 4-day stay. I felt a small connection with you through them, even though my injury was so much less severe than yours. It is so good to see you posting!

Can't wait to meet you in person!

Andi
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

OMG....Eric Denney. You don't know me, and I don't know you, except through the nurses and doctors at Riverside County Med Center. I broke my femur at Perris in August of 2003, and all the staff there kept talking about this Eric person and how bad he was hurt, and how hard he was fighting.

Since I was another skydiver, they brought me news of you during my 4-day stay. I felt a small connection with you through them, even though my injury was so much less severe than yours. It is so good to see you posting!

Can't wait to meet you in person!

Andi

Not long after I came out of the coma about 7 weeks after I went into the hospital, the nurses told me about another skydiver that was in there for a broken leg. In fact whoever it was sent their flowers that they had received down to me when they checked out of the hospital. This was probably somewhere in late August or early September by that time, was that you? It was kind of neat to have another skydiver there during that time, not that I was happy to hear about anyone else being injured.

Yeah I was definitely the talk of the town by the staff at that hospital for a few months. The doctors and nurses all knew about my case and how miraculous it was that I survived. It was funny because I would be on my way down to X-Ray or something a couple months after I arrived there and run into a nurse in an elevator that would say "Oh my god, I worked on you the night you came in! You have no idea how lucky you are!" etc etc. I got that so many times from so many people and I since I was in a coma I had no idea who any of them were. One nurse that was assigned to me the first day when I came in didn't want to take my case because she knew by my chart that I wasn't going to survive. She did take it though and she used to stop by and visit me a lot after I came out of the coma and tell me how lucky I was.

Anyway, if you were the one that sent the flowers down then thank you! There were one or two other skydivers that came through while I was there so it might not have been you. At any rate, I'll be out a Perris at the end of the month to see everyone for the first time since the accident, hope you can make it out. I'll post the date soon...

Blue skies!
Eric

Yes, that was me. I was from out of town (at that time; I now live in SoCal), and I wasn't going to be able to take them with me on the plane, anyway.

I'd rather you have them than them just getting thrown away.

:)
Wow...what a great sport this is. I can't wait to meet you!

Andi
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!