Kramer

How Incredible Is Techno Music?

I'm sorry, but I just can't get enough of this stuff. I only recently started getting into it. I wish I had appreciated how good some of it is many years ago.

Anyone got any rec's they can give me? I am very new to this whole genre. I just downloaded the "Top 100 Techno Songs of 2004". Most of them are pretty badass. I'm really digging Laza's "Stepping Out" right now. The lyrics seem to fit with stepping out of an airplane. B|

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

Go back to the old classics:
Paul Oakenfold
Pete Tong
Paul Van Dyke
Timo Maas
All the "Essential" selections...

These I consider the "old" basics...

;)

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Can you give me any specific song titles?

I'd usually stick with full albums. They're usually one continuous mix. There's always the occasional hit like "Bullet in the gun" (Oakenfold), or "Around the world" by Daft Punk. But I recommend listening to full albums (especially Trance ones...).
Once again, "Essential Selection" (Essential is a club in Manchester) has some good stuff from the '90's, in many different albums.
Also, some of the Norman Cook (AKA Fat Boy Slim) have some pretty good stuff (and FBS has had his share of hits!).
I'll PM you some album titles.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

something like DUB!!

Brilliant choice. But quite different from Techno.

First there was techno then there was DUB.

First there was DUB ('70's in Jamaica), then there was techno, then there was NZ DUBS (and you know how I feel about it...;))

"Born Sleepy" is a great tune, which has pretty much been remixed by every DJ around.
Underworld has indeed produced some great albums.

I'm sorry...did you mean to say "Incredibly Stupid"?

Hey Mama,
Save the flirty talk for your friend Roger in the other forum, will 'ya?;)

Listening to it now, thanks.

So someone explain to me how techno works. I've noticed that Paul Oakenfold remixes a lot of other techno artists songs. Why? Isn't a techno song usually a remix of another song to begin with? Why is Oakenfold remixing remixes? I just don't understand all the "remixes" out there. Like I search for a certain techno song, and if its popular, there are like 10 remixes on it. Wtf?!? :S

Listening to it now, thanks.

So someone explain to me how techno works. I've noticed that Paul Oakenfold remixes a lot of other techno artists songs. Why? Isn't a techno song usually a remix of another song to begin with? Why is Oakenfold remixing remixes? I just don't understand all the "remixes" out there. Like I search for a certain techno song, and if its popular, there are like 10 remixes on it. Wtf?!? :S

See....!!! its starting to screw with your head already.
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

Its not really techno, but the newish Linkin Park remix with some rapper is pretty cool.

They redid some songs with Jay-Z

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

So someone explain to me how techno works. I've noticed that Paul Oakenfold remixes a lot of other techno artists songs. Why? Isn't a techno song usually a remix of another song to begin with? Why is Oakenfold remixing remixes? I just don't understand all the "remixes" out there. Like I search for a certain techno song, and if its popular, there are like 10 remixes on it. Wtf?

There are no rules for DJs (and remixes), everything is fair. Some tunes like Born Sleepy (Underworld) and I See You Baby (Groove Armada) have been remixed dozens if not hundred of times. Bowie offered his songs to mixers a couple of years ago. If the mix is good, it doesn't really matter whether it's an original, remix, or remix of a remix...
Check out Fat Boy Slim's remix of "Don't let the man get you down", it's pretty funny (though not really techno).;)

So say there is this really hot techno song released, let's just say "Starry Eyed Surprise" for example. In general, will the remixes of this song be just as enjoyable to listen to as the original?

It is all subject to opinion....just like story tellers...some are better then others...

Some DJ's are better at "mixing" the songs ;)
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

So someone explain to me how techno works. I've noticed that Paul Oakenfold remixes a lot of other techno artists songs. Why? Isn't a techno song usually a remix of another song to begin with? Why is Oakenfold remixing remixes? I just don't understand all the "remixes" out there. Like I search for a certain techno song, and if its popular, there are like 10 remixes on it. Wtf?!?

Because Oakenfold is a hack.

BT...the father of modern trance and breakbeat. Look him up. Much much better.

Also, Sasha's "Invover" CD is outstanding!

I'll send you my iPod list if you want, over 500 electronic dance songs (I hate when people call it "techno...that's so limiting)
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!