AggieDave

VW pics!

Good call. Its a 1302 due to the type of front suspension. The 1302 is a 3-bolt pattern, where as the 1303 has a 2 bolt pattern. My '73 is a mix of '72 and '73 parts. '73 curved windshield and "large" dash, elephant feet tail lights, but with a generator (not an alternator) and the 3-bolt front struts.

;)

It took me a while to figure that stuff out. Basically the more I took the car apart to replace parts and rebuild stuff, the more I would sit there scratching my head going "its not supposed to be like that on a '73, its like that on a '72.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

No clue how many were built like that, but come to find out its not too uncommon.

No pink flowers.:P

The only thing I've been able to do since bringing the VW down to College Station 2 years ago is put it in the garage on jack stands, pull the engine and tear the engine down. Atleast in tearing down the engine I've found that there are more parts then I thought that I can use for the rebuild.

I figure I'll get it back on the road in a year or so...after I get married and have a "real" job so I have a bit of income I can use on something like this.

So atleast I have it off the suspension and tires so its better for the car overall...although I do have a tough time convincing Morgan that the car is worth keeping. I don't think she understands the love of a man and an old car...;)B|

Naw, I'm going to build a 2110cc stroker with dual IDF 44s...sooo noice

----

You want to put something fun in that. See if you can find a RX7 engine. The same guys that made the conversion plate for my 2.8l v6 made one of those.
---------------------------------------------

Randy

You want to put something fun in that. See if you can find a RX7 engine. The same guys that made the conversion plate for my 2.8l v6 made one of those.

Then its not an aircooled horizonally opposed engine and it looses some of its VW-ness. Atleast that's my outlook. There are those out there that have put Subaru watercooled engines in Type 1s, but but but...I want a VW aircooled engine that kicks ass.;):P

My cousin's 12-second '68 would tote the front tires so high that he drug the bottom of the stinger (exaust header) flat. It was a fucking brute. As to rebuilds, even with having to replace the big jugs he had on on his car he could do a complete top end for under $500. That was a fun car.

Chuck

Sure, I'd build a Type4 with a turbo setup if I could afford the parts. I don't even have the money to get a Type1 case right now, though.;)

The turbo system I would love to build is built on a Type 1 2110 with the CB Performance fuel injection built off the IDF bodies. Using baskets and a Garret T04.:)
Good find, though, who ever built that engine used some nice things (from what I could see on the outside and I love that aftermarket fan shroud, Bernie Bergmann has made a small fortune off of them. They're perfect for keeping everything cool and they're very stylie.B|

although eventually I want some Porsche 17" allows from a '98-ish Boxter.

noooooo. gotta go with some old school Porsche Fuchs. boxster wheels wont even come close to fitting the look of a beetle. not the cleanest example, but you get the idea

-b
I'm not the percent you think survives,
I need sanctuary in the pages of this book...

dave you are the luckyest fucker i would love to get one of those

Then get one. Do what I did, get a basket case cheap. My dad bought me this VW when I was 15 for under $1000. It barely ran and many many things were very broken on it. A lot of hardwork in the garage brought that car up to what it was. In a couple of years I'll hopefully have the money to take it the next step.

SM1,

I love old school Empi wheels. They look funny on any type 1 past 1969 in my opinion...they look best on a '67, which is the sexiest looking year model they had.;):)

I love old school Empi wheels. They look funny on any type 1 past 1969 in my opinion...they look best on a '67, which is the sexiest looking year model they had.;):)

werd. my friend had a real sweet 67 that was fully restored. with the bumper over-riders and small taillights. it was the hotness. unfortunately it wasnt practical for him to drive on the highway, so he sold it and bought a gti.

-b
I'm not the percent you think survives,
I need sanctuary in the pages of this book...

Well, the '67 had some transmission quirks limited to that year, and it was a swing arm instead of IRS, so more people tend to love the '69, but the '69 had some minor differences that didn't lend its self to the '67's beauty.

Selling one for a GTi is pretty bad...not an honest and fair trade, IMO, since you just lost a great classic and went to a Audi influenced water cooled VW wannabe. But then again, I'd rather have an aircooled pre-1979 VW then a new watercooled VW.;)