kai2k1

I think I totaled my car this morning

Im heading to work this morning on snowpacked roads with the little bit we got overnight when I merged onto the highway and lost control of my car and hit the concrete barrier head on. The windhield is toast, front bumper is toast, and the hood and fenders.

I hit it head on and both air bags deployed, I was wearing my seatbelt which I normally dont do.

My question is that my car is only worth like 3700.00, and I owe like 3900.00 and Ill bet theres over 6k in damage. Do you all think the insurance company will total this? If so Im soooo fucked since I cannot get another car.

BTW I'm ok, just a bump and 2 gashes on my forehead and a sore neck.

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

That's 2 DZ.commers that have totalled their cars on icy roads in the past couple days. Drive careful folks! I'd say the insurance will total it. Depends on what your policy says as to how much they will pay. I had a 1982 Jeep that I had to pay a little extra to get REPLACEMENT cost on. If I hadn't done that and totalled it they would have only paid me like $900 for a Jeep that was actually worth $4000 or so. Hope you have replacement cost insurance! [:/]

I'm glad you had your seatbelt on. I hope now you have learned your lesson. (that's a mom thing)

Glad you are okay.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I hit it head on and both air bags deployed,

Sorry to bring bad news, but its a total loss. They will typically total a car when the damage reaches about 60% of its current worth.

I am glad to hear you are ok though. Be safe out there!

Your other option is to take the cash that they give you and buy another car with it. Everybody has their brand of choice, but you can usually find 88-95 Honda civics/crx's for about $2,000. They are reliable and cheap to fix! Then you've got the remainder of the cash for jump tickets or put it towards paying the debt of $3,900 on your totaled car.

Here's the most useful advice I got when I totalled my car: check with your insurance how much you'd get for the car, how much your insurance will increase and for how long. You may not *want* your insurance to pay up.. You see, they may count that as an accident and your rates could go up. If they do go up, you might end-up losing out.. You can probably find out what the red book price is on your vehicle for the year/make/model. Unless you've had the car previously appraised, they won't cough up more than the *minimum* amount it's supposed to be worth.

Check into it. Find out the red book price for the car first. Then ask your insurance if you "hypothetically" wrecked your car, what would be the consiquences. Does it count as an accident. How much more will you be paying and for how long. If your car is worth 2200$, and your insurance increases by 1000$ for 5 years.. You can add us as well as I can. Some companies will give you a "freebie". As in, your first claim won't be held against you. Just don't expect to get what *your* car was worth, but only what the minimus value is calculated to be.

Sorry dude.. These things really, really suck. Take your time with the insurance, though. You usually have at least a couple of days to put in a claim. Make sure you know what you're getting into.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss