dropdeded

Work Offshore???

Got a call yesterday, guy wants to know if Im interested in getting on a Medical/Safety team that works offshore. I guess my resume was sent out by the college i went to last year.

So, tell me about working offshore.

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

I used to have a skydiving friend in the 70's who was a driller on an offshore rig.

One month on, one month off. Very good pay. And since there was nowhere to spend money on his months on the rig (he didn't play much poker), he had plenty of money on the months off.

If you get enough off time to have a life off the rig, it's a good way to mark some time and figure out what you want, while you save money at it.

And you can always work on your tan :P

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I used to work offshore in the Gulf of Mexico as a "shopkeeper" I was basically the materials guy. That meant I kept everything locked up from tools to toilet paper. My shifts were 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. Work days were 12on/12off. Food was really good, once you get past the FNG part the rough necks and tool pushers can be some decent guys to hang out with. Was awesome money. Benes were pretty good to. With what you will be doing, offshore work would be pretty boring and long days. There can be alot of accidents, missing limbs, cuts, gashes etc... But they are normally few and far between.

If you aren't married or have a steady gf, offshore is a great way to make a nest egg and make some decent bank in a short period of time.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

I think its an Oil Rig, and I aint gettin no women anyways:P Pays well I believe so I would probably jump more :)
dropdeded

Ed will soon be hearing "You got a pretty mouth." from his co-workers:ph34r:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Hey Ed,

I take it you mean off Santa Barbara? I worked off shore for a bit but not in a real rotation. You should talk to Corky at Skydive Taft. We was off shore for a long time and can tell you about it. If the pay is good I say do it...

-------
D.T. Holder
SIMstudy

I think its an Oil Rig, and I aint gettin no women anyways Pays well I believe so I would probably jump more

dropdeded

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ed will soon be hearing "You got a pretty mouth." from his co-workers
------------------------------------------------------------

YOU little missy are SO gettin it :o
The Dude Abides.
-

A good friend of mine was a deep sea diver for most of his life. It's a hard rap offshore but depending on what shift pattern you get on (eg. 2 weeks on 2 off) it fits in pretty well for skydiving in comparison to a Mon-Fri 9-5.

Work your ass off for 2 weeks and earn real good money then skydive your ass off hard for 2 weeks!!!

I'd just give it a bit of thought if it's a long term thing.

Money is great and you end up working less than half the year with holidays but being stuck offshore can take it's toll.

------------------------------------------------------
May Contain Nut traces......

So, tell me about working offshore

not much scenery, hard work. you can get on a 7 x 7 14 x14 or a 28 x 28 depending on how deep the water is. try to get on a floater, or a jack-up. platforms and inland barges are allright, but there's better out there. free helicopter rides, free boat rides and all you can eat 24 & 7. do not hire on with a sub-contractor, work for the drilling company who owns the rig if the hire their own rstrs. i think you'd like it myself. i've been a co rep and in the drilling industry for over 29 years now i can't say i've ever had a bad paycheck. that said, i have allowed myself to be sent to some less than desirable countries. good luck.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

I worked off-shore in the Arctic for seven years back in the eighties. Some thoughts:
There is nothing to do on your time off so make sure you are getting paid twelve hours a day.
In the position you are looking at you will have a lot of slow time to add to your twelve hours off. You need to ask yourself whether you can amuse yourself. Distance education, writing a book, or having a purpose on line are good (no DZ.com is not a purpose). If you constantly need social interaction with those around you, you will be sucked into the petty politics of the rig. This is bad, real bad.
The food is unbelievable. you must go to the gym or you're gonna get fat. I ate smoked salmon eight or ten times a week for years. Do you know how expensive that stuff is? Jesus Christ!
You will probably not want to do this forever. If you are not saving beaucoup dollars it is likely not worth it.
Having two or three weeks off during boogie season rocks.

Goin to talk to some dude about this deal this morning. Im pretty happy with where Im headed right now so Im just checking this stuff out of curiousity. Maybe see about doing it sometime in the future. hmmm, smoked salmon eh;)

dropdeded
The Dude Abides.
-

I've spent all my 20 or so years since college on and offshore in the oil business mostly, UK sector primarily, but have been offshore US, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Holland, Norway, Denmark, and just got back from Bangladesh.

Its not a bad life, pretty much the same assholes you see onshore, only you can't really escape them as easily. A lot depends on who you work for and which company is running the installation.

PM me if you have any specific concerns, and I'll try and help out.

If they want you to be a medic, then chances are that they will want you perform some sort of other duty, such as admin (checking guys in and out, organising flights home etc), radio operator, or similar.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

If they want you to be a medic, then chances are that they will want you perform some sort of other duty, such as admin (checking guys in and out, organising flights home etc), radio operator, or similar

hello, dispatcher! :)
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"