npgraphicdesign

Vector II, almost 20 years old.

Would you trust a container made almost 20 years ago? It looks good upon an in-person inspection, the rigger I'm buying it from says it's safe. I trust him, but wanted to get some more feedback from people here who either have jumped with the aforementioned container or still own it.

Thanks! :)

I have a Vector II that's definitely over 10 years old, maybe over 15... I'll have to check the packing data card to be sure, but it was well maintained, and yes, I'd jump it if I needed it. It's just sitting in a closet right now.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Would you trust a container made almost 20 years ago? It looks good upon an in-person inspection, the rigger I'm buying it from says it's safe. I trust him, but wanted to get some more feedback from people here who either have jumped with the aforementioned container or still own it.

Myself and many others have jumped gear much older than that. If it is well maintained it's just fine. You won't be able to do many things with it, but it should keep you safe on your belly.

think about it this way - 20 years is just a number. Not like EVERY 19 year old rig is safe, and EVERY 21 year old rig is junk :)

How much are you paying for it?
I'd jump a 20 year old container, but I wouldn't pay much for it.

The data card will list the date of manufacture of the container, reserve, and AAD (if installed).

Much more important than the age of the rig is how it was treated. My CRW rig is an 18 year old Vector II that is in better shape than a lot of 5 year old rigs I see. If you trust your rigger and he says it is in good shape, then go ahead and jump it. Make sure he explains to you the limitations of gear that old (freeflying and whatnot).

I'd suggest getting a second opinion. There are varying levels of comfort for wear and tear. It may need some maintenance. Velcro, new BOC pocket if it has an old one, new one if it doesn't have one. Most Vector II's that age didn't have a RSL. That can be added. A skyhook can't be added. Other components may need some help.

I have two vector II's that are close to that old that I jump routinely. Don't use them for freeflying. $300 is about right. Nothing wrong with a good condition Vector II for learning belly flying and canopy piloting. Won't be most comfortable. Other deals are out there. I know someone with a new never assembled Reflex for maybe 650 $700. I just bought one also new never jumped for $550. I also just bought an airworth Racer 15-20 years old, missing a couple of components for $55.;) You can get all sorts of stuff.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I have two vector II's that are close to that old that I jump routinely. Don't use them for freeflying. $300 is about right. Nothing wrong with a good condition Vector II for learning belly flying and canopy piloting. Won't be most comfortable. Other deals are out there. I know someone with a new never assembled Reflex for maybe 650 $700. I just bought one also new never jumped for $550. I also just bought an airworth Racer 15-20 years old, missing a couple of components for $55.;) You can get all sorts of stuff.

+1, the used pricing is spot on, that has been my experience as well.

Lastly, if you are payign $300 for a used VectorII with it's square shape and velcro all over, think that it may be worth it to spend another $200-300 for a slightly newer Javelin with tucktab riser covers and much more modern look.

Just a thought :)

A Vector II of 20 years old is still good provided the harness (the most important part) is structurally sound. A rig well maintained and protected from the sunlight is good for a while. I know of a guy who has a sort of museum with more than 40 old rigs (some with a chest mounted reserve having more than 30 years old) and still jump them. I would pay a particular attention to harness stitches. Have another rigger (independant from the guy selling the rig) to confirm everything is OK.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I jump a 17 year old Vector II. There is nothing wrong with jumping a rig that old as long as you realize that maintenance on older gear is not optional. The velcro does wear out. On problem I have had is that the hook wears out. You cannot tell this by looking at it, but only by replacing the pile and having it not solve the problem. Replacing the riser cover hook is a complicated and expensive process, but your rigger can just sew a new piece over the old one.
Personally I would rather have velcro on my riser covers than the ineffective early Javelin tuck tabs.

I have one for my CrW setup.

but it's in MINT condition

I think the condition of the rig is MUCH more important than the age

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

i was jumping my teardrop which was 17 years old up until xmas til i bought my new mirage and it has a 21 year old reserve in it :D. i still have the rig sitting in the house
Dudeist Skydiver #170
You do not need a parachute to skydive, you only need one to skydive again

If you are getting a steal on it keep the reserve and main. Get a used vector 3 container and sell the v 2 container and add a cypress. B| you can PM me if there is anything you would rather keep off the forums as in price and such if you need.

don't try your bullshit with me!!!

I wouldn't free fly it though.

Why not? because of the velcro issues??

Velcro is fresh. The reserve flap opens too easy in a sit. Not enough bridle protection, riser coverage when the wind hits at various angles. I've had a toggle come out when in a fast head down and dangle at my crotch and the reserve flap is guaranteed to tap the back of my head in a sit.

Well, next rig get a Vector III with magnet riser covers. It seems to be a secondary importance features but it provides you with an even resistance to the risers jump after jump and packers love it.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.