Rebecca

Help- am organizing - where's the line? Keep or Toss?

I have finally, after years of procrastination, gotten around to doing a full-on clean sweep of all my crap.

And I'm torn.

My brain and my self-concept say I should be ruthless about throwing out the old - I must remove all and everything without practical, monetary, or strong emotional value. I must acheive Feng Shui and live effortlessly in a perfectly organized environment (yeah, right.) :S

My heart and reality tell me that in my years of moving around, I've become a sentimental pack-rat, holding on to every little scrap associated with every little experience I've had so that when I look at it, I'll remember and smile... and put it right back where it was to collect dust and create clutter...

And the wardrobe... I still own and wear t-shirts and sweaters from 1990. :$ I hate to shop, and of course, I "have nothing to wear" on a regular basis. So, how much should the organized person own? I'd like to be prepared for pretty much any likely scenario, but I can't keep holding on to things because I "might need it one day"...

Help! Have any of you reached organiZENtion? Tips?

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

If you haven't worn it or used it for a year, pass it on, recycle it, or store it in the garage.

I now have a double garage that I can't get a car into.B|
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Just insure it well. Then torch it all. That way you can get some money out of it and start over. ;)

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

:D:P:D

Good one slappie.

Rebecca, please let me know your final strategy on this. Sheesh I'm horrible - I hate to shop too, and when I start to clean I'm like "oh, I can't chunk this - I'll NEED it to clean in." Or, no those can't go I can mow the yard in them. Or, I'll get THAT skinny again - I might need that, OR that just looks so cute hanging there...(party dresses and stuff)

Let's either have a bonfire or garage sale.

After the first couple of things gotten rid of it gets a lot easier. For mementos, consider how much enjoyment someone else might get out of them. There are, in fact, others who are just as capable of loving worthy inanimate objects as much as you are :ph34r:.

There are people who have one set of clothing. Others who have two (one to wash, one to wear). But if you can fit all of your clothes into one dresser and one closet rack (i.e. not a whole walk-in closet) you're probably doing reasonably well. Better than I am, at least :P.

And once you don't own some of that stuff any more, you don't have the responsibility of "loving" it, maintaining it, keeping track of it, or anything else. It's easier then, and you have more time to really appreciate what you want to.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

And once you don't own some of that stuff any more, you don't have the responsibility of "loving" it, maintaining it, keeping track of it, or anything else. It's easier then, and you have more time to really appreciate what you want to.

Wendy W.

EXACTLY! That's where I'm trying to go.

Phew! Keep the motivation coming please! This is good stuff.

Sherry - that's exactly how I've been evaluating my stuff... :S

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

:S
What sux more is saving stuff for a garage sale - and in reality that sale is never going to happen because on a pretty weekend, I do not plan on sitting in my driveway selling junk for a quarter.

It would be scary to have a reality show go through my closets. Those queer-eye-type shows would go absolutely nutz!!

I believe along the same lines as everyone else. I started de-cluttering my life a few years ago and this strategy seams to work well for me....

Put it in a box, seal it up, and pack it away out of sight for a few months. If you forget what is in the box, just dump it.

It's the best, you get yourself down to just the necessities. Clutter causes a lot of stress. You don't even realize it until you get rid of all the "stuff". When I got out of school, within a year I had enough crap to fill a two-bedroom house!!! And I'm only one person!! :o Now, I have maybe a studio full of stuff... and not too much "junk".

Good luck!!! What a fun process!

I believe along the same lines as everyone else. I started de-cluttering my life a few years ago and this strategy seams to work well for me....

Put it in a box, seal it up, and pack it away out of sight for a few months. If you forget what is in the box, just dump it.

It's the best, you get yourself down to just the necessities. Clutter causes a lot of stress. You don't even realize it until you get rid of all the "stuff". When I got out of school, within a year I had enough crap to fill a two-bedroom house!!! And I'm only one person!! :o Now, I have maybe a studio full of stuff... and not too much "junk".

Good luck!!! What a fun process!

I dunno about fun - I've been staring at my unorganized junk in fear and reluctance for so long... but it feels really good to have gotten started!

Can't wait to be done. B|

My husband and I decided to get a dumpster since we had a lot of debris from home improvement projects. We filled it about 1/4 full with crap. So we decided to pitch everything that wasn't necessary, if it wasn't touched in the last 5 years, it was gone. If it wasn't going to be used in at least a year, it was gone. Clothes that did not get worn in the last year got donated to Goodwill (5 garbage bags full!) Everything from my first marriage was tossed too.

We filled the entire thing, and don't miss any of it. We don't even notice that things are gone, other than the much more storage space and less clutter in the house!

It is well worth being ruthless.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Unfortunately, I have lots of junk left over from my previous life.
In addition to that, I have had 10 kids who have spent a part or all of their lives with me, and have left me some or all of THEIR junk.
Then my father in law SUDDENLY left his house and left me a 60 year accumulation of his junk.
I have been doing some MAJOR cleaning. I know that my garbage men do not love me any more.
I have incentive tho, our city is going to go to a new collection service soon, and it is gonna cost me a boatload to get rid of this junk.
I'm with you on the yardsale. Much better ways to be spending the nice weekend, but I love to see stuff get reused, so I am torn.
I donated a couple of truckloads of stuff to one of our churches that has regular yardsales to raise money for the poor. They were very happy with me.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Take the things you are questioning and put them in a dated box, if you don't need them or look at them for several months just throw it away B|

IME putting your stuff is a sign of weakness, not ruthless enough:P

We ended up with 30 labeled box's of stuff moved a couple of times and then took most of the stuff to goodwill. Now we have a 2 yr rule if we haven't used it in 2 yr's (except rig, tools, pic's and guns:S) we don't need it :)
If it's wood we burn it:)
R.I.P.