jumprunner

Land Ho!!!

Among all the things there is to do here, just found something else.

Im always watching Horatio Hornblower, get into Mutiny on the Bounty, big fan of Bristish sea captains and sailing vessels. There are times I keep thinking how cool it would be to be back in the 1700s, when everything was real simple, the ships were made of wood, canvas, and rope, and sailing to a distant place was a major life adventure.

I just found "as close as it comes". Was just in the harbor yesterday taking a look at an old ship made in 1863, which circumnavigated the globe 21 times before being retired in the late 1800s, named "The Star of India", and can still be sailed.

Digging a little more, I found out that for 450, you can be on the "guest crew" for three days when they take it sailing this summer to Catalina. So as guest crew, you have to take turns standing watch, hauling lines, manning the helm, and going aloft, aboard an 1800s British vessel.

I wouldnt mind sailing it to Tahiti...dont know about the misery index, but Id do it anyway if I had the chance. I think capt Blighs crew, once they hit Tahiti and got off that ship, didnt particularly want to get back on. Makes you wonder why.

That'd be like an 'old-style' version of the Windjammer barefoot cruises, I guess....

Makes you wonder why.

*tongue in cheek towards our UK friends*

"Rum, buggery and the lash", perhaps?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I run by that ship from base every day. It's always been a beautiful sight to me. Moored right next to it is the HMS Surprise from that Russel Crowe movie. The Star Of India makes that ship look like a canoe. I've always liked those movies where you see ships broadsiding each other.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I see the Star of India every day passing by Little Italy on the trolley, so stopped there one day and took a better look, asked if it still sails. Thats when I got the info on the guest crews aboard that and the Californian, another mid 19th century cutter.

Adventure sails are: June 24-26, July 15-17, Oct 14-16, all departing from and returning to SD.

Here is the reservations and info number:
619-234-9153 x 101

Good luck mate!

Damn...one look at the subject line and I thought you were bringing up something about my favorite people....:D

TripleF

BAH!

I like the sky ones better!

I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I like the sky ones better!

Well, those, too...actually, I've been accused of liking almost anything that walks, crawls or flies and hasn't been dead more than three days but I'm not admitting to anything...:D

TripleF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."

and hasn't been dead more than three days . . .

Pfft!

hell, the perfume is still good at that point!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Well, had my first day in sail crew training on board the Star of India. Wow, I had no idea operating a sail ship was that technical. We are talking about a wind powered transportation vessel that was built in 1863, so you got to figure how complicated can it be? The wind hits the sails, the ship moves forward.

There is about a ton of shit to learn, aside from navigation procedures (which the captain is mainly responsible for, along with floggings, hangings from the yardarm, ect.)

Today they were talking about with a normal crew from that time, it could take up to a full day to set sail and point the ship in the right direction, started out having to learn all this new terminology, learning how to tie 5 different types of knots...I couldnt take it all in it was so much info. And learning this these new terms: fore, main, mizzen masts, fore, top, royal sails, going aloft, starboard, port and aft, ect, its like speaking another language. Cant believe how much shit there is to learn. I started out knowing what the "deck" is, that much I knew...not much else.

I was talking to I think the owner of the Maritime Museum about eventually geting on the crew of the HMS Surprise (the ship in the movie "Master and Commander"), only this one cheats and has a diesel engine along with "fake" cannons on the starboard bow. Not that I care, its a cool ship and it means less work anyway. It may take them two years to get it in operation, but WTF, itll be like steping back into the 1700s.