superman0710

loud boisterious morbid 1st timers...and other DZ irks

The tandems that bother me are the ones that make the jump, bravado/macho or not, and then rip on a buddy for not jumping. I have never pressured someone to jump and hearing this "friend" tell someone they are (insert every derogatory word you know here) for not going is just wrong.

I guess I am just glad this is not a common problem.

-------
D.T. Holder
SIMstudy

It's hard convincing oneself (or others) who only have a couple of hundred jumps that they too are junior jumpers (let alone someone with just 3 tandems). I know I've always had a certain confidence level in this sport (hopefully I haven't come off as arrogant to others). But when I look back to when I had 200, 300, 400 and even 500 jumps I now know that I knew jack. And I can only imagine in a year or two when I look back to where I am now what I will think.

We all bring external experiences from other activities into this sport and often these can help our confidence levels. But we must always remember that no matter what we did in our previous life, how many jumps we have now or how well we are doing skill wise, this sport is different and there will always be someone else out there who has even more jumps than us, who has more experience and has more skill.

And to get back on topic, it's better just to ignore whatever comments the tandems make about how hard core they are for trying a jump (shit even we joke about death sometimes prior to making a jump).

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

"it's a beautiful day to die" is another one i hear occasionally. while it's annoying, the person saying it has just paid a lot of money to have a good time and will be gone before the day is over so it's best to just let it go. if the person making these comments decides to continue with his (i've never heard it from a female) training, the attitude will change as he becomes more educated to the sport.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

but the last thing i like to think about on the DZ is death, so it kinda gets under my skin when a new guy starts shouting about it.

hey bud, I am not going to flame you or judge you for this statement,and I am sure many will disagree with me here. But don't you think, in this sport, it's important to have a healthy attitude about death? I mean, it is something that could very well happen at a result of the activity you are pursuing; I am not being morbid, I just hope that being involved with skydiving, makes you think about death and your personal beliefs.
I think being aware of death on the dz, instead of trying to not think about it, can help you to be safer in your jumping career. Just my personal opinion:)

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

"(i've never heard it from a female)"

Joshezammit and I were discussing this on Saturday. The *guy* tandems seem to one of three varieties:
A) quiet/nervous/trying not to show it,
B) honestly enjoying themselves, or
C) DUDE I'M SUCH A BADASS!!!! (C being the most enjoyable to be on a load with, simply to watch them turn into A in the door)

... and the *vast* majority of girl tandems I've seen seem to be the B variety. Intriguing. No complaints here.

blues
w
------------------------------
Of course it hurts. The trick is not *minding* that it hurts.
- T.E. Lawrence

I brought a girl I've known forever out to do a tandem a few weeks ago....I was a lil ashamed on how calm and collected she was the airplane. I remember being quite a bit more scared and pale ...she was all smiles and giggling. :)
I'd suggest maybe you wait until you've flown your own canopy before you start referring to yourself as someone who's been around:D I've got 62 jumps and I know basically nothing compared to the real "old timers"

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

I'd suggest maybe you wait until you've flown your own canopy before you start referring to yourself as someone who's been around:D I've got 62 jumps and I know basically nothing compared to the real "old timers"

ironically enough, i never stated that i've been around, re read my posts. and 1st timer is not being used here as a derogatory statement to imply noob skydivers. I know i still have plenty to learn, but let's face it. a first tandem skydive doesn't involve a whole lot of work. (on part of the student.) cross arms, shuffle to door, arch, enjoy the ride!!! i usually talk to them about what to expect on the way down, what it feels like, try to calm em' down, reassure them they'll have a great time, etc.

just because i have 3 jumps doesn't mean i have less authority to talk to a new jumper about the experience than a person with 3,000. we were all there at one point and i'm sure we all remember what it felt like.

"it's a beautiful day to die" is another one i hear occasionally

This reminds me of a funny story. About 10-11 years ago I took my kids scrambling around some boulders on a nearby mountain. My daughter Laura -- about 10 YO at the time -- found herself at a precarious overlook and said exactly those words, just as casual as can be. :S I just said "Really?" My girlfriend responded "Well, I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree." I don't know, I had never used that phrase around her and it's really not my style. I think she saw it on TV or something.

Fast forward ahead a few years and she completed AFF in the minimum # of jumps. :)

That quote must be from a movie. When I went to make my first S/L the group of guys I went with kept saying it... all the way there, before we got on the plane... it was very nerve racking for me since I was scared shitless and didn't want to be there in the first place. [:/] Oh well... out of the 6 of us I'm the only one that kept with it. :D

just because i have 3 jumps doesn't mean i have less authority to talk to a new jumper about the experience than a person with 3,000. we were all there at one point and i'm sure we all remember what it felt like.

Talking to someone about their tandem experience with 3 tandems under your belt is fine, acting like your a hot shit skydiver who has even been on a DZ long enough to complain about how a tandem behaves is not...

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

Nah, those "macho" armageddon guys don't bother me....I love being their instructor and seeing the look on their face when I open that door for the first time

Ding, Ding Ding!

We have a winner. Its fun to prove their unmachoness to themselves without having to do anything but your job...taking them on their first skydive. I don't have to say a thing, to do that, I just take them out the door and their fear proves themselves to well, themselves for me.:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Talking to someone about their tandem experience with 3 tandems under your belt is fine, acting like your a hot shit skydiver who has even been on a DZ long enough to complain about how a tandem behaves is not...

when i'm going over my routine for my class and i'm distracted, i believe i have just as much right to complain as the next person.

as stated by kris:
"get what Superman is saying, to a low # jumper, having someone else going on about the end of the world is awfully disconcerting, especially when that student is possibly trying to gather their nerves and readying for their next jump. It's discourteous."

plus, i don't remember stating how i was such "hot shit" :|

and i've made repeated attempts to clarify that it is not my intention to portray myself in such a manner, so i'd appreciate it if you stopped accusing me of acting of such behavior.

when i'm going over my routine for my class and i'm distracted, i believe i have just as much right to complain as the next person.

Just think about how distracting it is up in the air...it shouldn't be any problem to block out whats going on around you to go over your skydive in your mind.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

ironically enough, i never stated that i've been around, re read my posts. and 1st timer is not being used here as a derogatory statement to imply noob skydivers. ***
that is not irony.
i have read your posts. well, over the last few days anyway... the only one with substance is "my third tandem"

I know i still have plenty to learn, but let's face it. a first tandem skydive doesn't involve a whole lot of work. (on part of the student.) cross arms, shuffle to door, arch, enjoy the ride!!!

exactly, because you're strapped to someone who knows what they're doing. i'm not going to bash tandems, i think they're fun. even working tandems help out with a.a., canopy control, and landings. but the actual freefall part? i'm not sure what to say about that... i don't know how your school does things .

i usually talk to them about what to expect on the way down, what it feels like, try to calm em' down, reassure them they'll have a great time, etc.

wth? who are calming down? your ti needs reassurance? i highly doubt it.

just because i have 3 jumps doesn't mean i have less authority to talk to a new jumper about the experience than a person with 3,000. we were all there at one point and i'm sure we all remember what it felt like.***

ummmmm yes it does. again, you are a new jumper and so am i.
i almost didn't respond to this but wth, here's your irony::D
we aren't in a place to start judging other students. talk is one thing, but experiencing is totally different.... different set of fears at first too!
you might not even like skydiving after you do your first solo (i lucked out with my first landing but my second one left me not wanting to drive home--- the whole sitting down thing!). you're lucky cuz you live in a state with a million dropzones open 7 days a week! with miami weather, you'll probably pass me up.:( i'm jealous:)it's not as easy as it looks and definetly not a "ride" -- people might disagree with me here but my bank account says otherwise(repeats:S)

i learn more reading than i do posting. this website has been around a while and history seems repeats itself in the posts. the search box is also an awesome feature!:)have fun,
heidi

p.s. welcome back, kotter

btw: keeping with the thread... i've never heard tandems say this stuff-- how weird & scary![:/]
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

i know, i was especially nervous about my level 3 tandem becuase i rushed through my maneuvers in my level 2, my instructor brought it up, but still said i did well enough for level 3.

no worries though, my level 3 went smooth as possible, dispite slight distractions. B|

something to look forward to... they will never rush you to the plane on a solo jump;) (but allow more time to practice your ep's!)
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

I know I've always had a certain confidence level in this sport (hopefully I haven't come off as arrogant to others).

Steve, I have never got that arrogant feeling from you. But then again, you know that I would kick your ass if you did;) I've seen you grow in this sport, and newbies would be so lucky to have you pass on to them what you have learned.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

i usually talk to them about what to expect on the way down, what it feels like, try to calm em' down, reassure them they'll have a great time, etc.***
wth? who are calming down? your ti needs reassurance? i highly doubt it.

any 1st timers there. if i see them solo or really nervous i'll walk right over and talk to them and chill with them

I don't want you to take offense to what I'm going to say, but from what I've seen from some of your post here, you tend to not think before you speak. Please, please, be careful what you say to students. Just a smile and a nod is some times all it takes to calm a student down.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

whyyyyyyyy B|B|B|
the thing is...
well, how do you know they are scared? maybe they are just by themselves waiting for the instructor to gear them up?
randomly spouting out "it's okay, you'll be alright... really, don't worry! cuz nothings going to happen..." ... that might be why they get worried. it's a reversed psych thing.
i like the way spaceland does it. when it comes time for the hop n pops to jump, they open the door (obviously) and people start yelling "no don't jump! we aren't there yet!" (or something like that) :D:D
its funny and it takes their mind off of their jump (and makes a funny video):)cya,
heidi

First-timers tend to (mostly) fall into 2 categories. Very-worried and over-compensating.

When I see the worried ones, their thinking is in a very tight, fast loop. They are thinking about all the bad possibilities. I try to engage them in a little conversation to re-direct their mind for a moment. Maybe tell them a joke. Even a nervous laugh is good for a moment.

The super-macho types are fair game. :ph34r: To the tandem master, "So, do those pills really help with the depression?"

"THE WHAT?" :D

About 3 months ago, a TM was giving the briefing to about 8 college age folks. As two guys walked away afterwards, one told the other, "Yeah, I've got lots of friends who have done this. It's really no big deal."

...and who would we see puking in the landing area 45 minutes later? :D

"Remember - very important safety briefing..." :)