highfly

Kite surfers

Because I have got access to some of the best beaches in the world in NZ, I am looking to take up kite surfing as an alternative to sitting around doing nowt on a windy day on a dz.
I was wondering if anyone out there is into the sport.
I am looking to hear from people who are across all levels of the sport.

Cheers

www.myspace.com/durtymac

At http://www.ikitesurf.com, you can log in for wind reports and forecasts for North America. There is probably a site similar to it for New Zealand, if that's where you are. Get yourself a four line kite 10 to 18 Meters in size for starters, a harness, bar, lines, and an instructional DVD. Definitely worth the effort to check it out and do it.

I just wanted to say that I purchased my initial set up for less than $400.

Olivia, where did you manage that (and what gear are you including)? I've been wanting to get into this for some time but I was under the impression it was a lot more expensive.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Hello Matt,

My memory is refreshed after a four mile walk on the beach. The deal I got from a local, St. Augustine kite shop was a $180 used, very nice 10 Meter kite, then an additional $120 for a Da' Kine harness, lines/bar, and an air pump for the inflated ribs of the kite.

As for the boards, I have two wakeboards and five skysurf boards from Surf Flite, as Jerry Loftis was among our best of friends before he passed away in '98. Kerry Vail made us a new wakeboard in 2000, but the 1993 "fatter" version was a little more ideal for kite surfing after the addition of a handle and different bindings. My friend Neal has a board made especially for kite surfing. It was a pain in the a-- for him, until he put tighter bindings on it. So suggestion #1 for a board - nice, fitting bindings are key to getting over the crest of the wave before you hit the highway.

If you don't have a local kite shop, try Ebay.com for gear sales.

Stay safe, have fun. Olivia

Hey I KiteSurf, been boarding now close to 4+years this April. Best advice I can give you is find a reputable dealer. They have to know the conditions you're gonna kite in, your weight and a few other factors. Also get lessons too. I know windsurfing is big in NZ and I wouldn't be surprised if kiteboarding is too so there have to be stores around. Also note boarding is VERY weather dependant. In the last 4 months I've been boarding maybe a handful of times. In the last week I've been out 2 times and might go 4 weeks plus w/o decent weather.

Hey there, not sure where you live, but my best friend from France moved to Christchurch this year. We started kitesurfing in france 5 years ago, he shapes his own boards and is a really nice guy. His name is Alex, if you ever meet him, tell him hi from David :)

If you want to contact him, here is his webpage:
http://www.portnawake.com/template.php?var=teamriders_alx.php

Next time you go to your dropzone, bring a kite and a pair of rollerblades. If the winds are to strong to jump, put them on and let the kite drag you up and down the runway.
I'ts a hell lot of fun ...

No.1 reason NOT to be an astronaut: ...You can't drink beer at zero gravity...