piercewhat

Tipping your instructor

Interesting questions...and a typical dilemma.

I had four friends come out to the dz recently and make some tandems. They pulled me aside later and asked if they should tip their instructors. I told them it wasn't a common practice, but if they felt they wanted to - I assured them the TM wouldn't argue. Then they asked how much. That's where I really drew a blank.

After spending in excess of $130 for a "joy ride" how much would you tip?

I told my friends that I had seen anywhere from $5-$20 offered to a TM - but I felt bad telling them to up their price another $20, when it wasn't even 'normal' to tip.

So, how do others address, handle the situation?? Do you encourage tipping??

Just wondering...

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Kiwi, RB #926, AFF-I, FAA Snr. Rigger, RN/BSN/Paramedic

Wow- where can you do a tandem for $130.00???

I'm sure the tips are appreciated but not expected. When you pay close to $200.00 for the "joy ride" not including video, tipping seems inappropriate and its not something I would encourage. (I'd rather have them apply that $20.00 towards their next jump!:)
But here's another tipping question sort of along those lines. Do you tip a tattoo artist when you've already paid a lot of money for your tattoo?

There's some other threads on this you can link to. Tipping TM's at our DZ is not uncommon, but never expected. We try hard to give all passengers a super cool experience, and some want to tip. Not a big deal if they're rolling in coin, and I certainly don't mind. Occasionally I get tipped by someone really young, college student type, and I almost want to give it back so they can save up for another jump, but that would be tricky to do without insulting them. Only tip if you really feel like it.