BillyVance

You will not believe this true story!

This really happened to my wife at lunch today. We were both laughing our heads off when she told me tonight after I got home from work. Mar, you will laugh your head off at this! ;)

Remember, my wife is totally deaf and is a vocational rehab counselor for the deaf. She went to a bookstore restaurant with one of her associates, who is a sign language interpreter and was with her on a client visit (including the client's parents)...

Anyway, their server, who appeared to be a sweet 70ish old woman, came up and asked if they wanted a drink. Of course, my wife was looking at the menu, not realizing the waitress was talking. The interpreter was acting like she's deaf (does a damn good job of it too). Finally my wife looks up and the waitress repeats her question. My wife motions to her ears and mouths "deaf". The waitress turns to the interpreter, who does the same thing... ;)

Then, the waitress seemed confused... then she makes a book motion with her hands and seems to be mouthing a word that looks like "bra--", but my wife didn't get it... The waitress put up her finger as if she would be right back and leaves...

She comes back a couple minutes later with a book titled... you won't FUCKING believe this! "LEARNING TO USE BRAILLE"... :S[:/]>:( My wife seemed stunned at first, as if dumbfounded... so was her interpreter. The freaking waitress trying to communicate with deaf customers using a fucking braille book?!?!?!? How stupid can people get??? :S>:(

Anyway, my wife's sarcasm took over. She decided to innocently USE the braille book to point out the letters to the selections she wanted in the menu! :o:S:D:) The interpreter saw what she was doing and was doing all she could to keep from busting out laughing, clamping her mouth with her hand and turning red-faced.:ph34r:

Well guess what, the waitress didn't even realize the joke... [:/]:| My wife had pointed out letters for something that the restaurant didn't have, as a joke, and the waitress sadly shook her head... Oh my God... incredible. My wife gave up and went with the menu and pointed out the items...

Unfuckingbelievable how naive some people are about different disabilities, especially major ones that are so apparent...
[:/] but boy did we have a good laugh!! :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I think its fucking sick how you deaf bastards abuse the hearing..lol Don't you hate it when people talk slow as hell as if that will help you. If your a good lip reader you probably think the person has down syndrome...lol Dude you are a post whore. I got your name though billy. I'm learning sign language in british slang that will fuck you up...hehehehehe My uncle will be teaching me in a few weeks so watch out!!!!!!!
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

I think its fucking sick how you deaf bastards abuse the hearing..lol Don't you hate it when people talk slow as hell as if that will help you. If your a good lip reader you probably think the person has down syndrome...lol Dude you are a post whore. I got your name though billy. I'm learning sign language in british slang that will fuck you up...hehehehehe My uncle will be teaching me in a few weeks so watch out!!!!!!!

As The Rock: JUST BRING IT!!!! :D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

No you bring it BIATCH....To the boogie 14th 15th may. hey if you show i will come to cullman and abuse you there. Seriously, get your boney ass and i'll do video to your jump. I won't add music i'll do subtitles underneath if that will help...hehehehehehe:)
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

If you speak like a yankee, yeah, you'd have to slow down to our southern drawl speed, but that's just me. ;)

Now, if you talked like that asshole detective in the movie "See No Evil, Hear No Evil" where he's questioning the deaf man... "Did... you... see... a... woman..." THAT's abuse! :S but I loved that movie! :D

One day I was working in this Taco Bell restaurant in a black area back in my early 20's... this black dude co-worker was trying to tell me something and I couldn't understand him... fucking prick was actually yelling at me at that slow pace... I so wanted to jam his head into the deep fryer! >:( Mind you, this is not a racist rant, just an example of how stupid some people get...

OMG, you are right Billy, love the story.

You would not believe how many times people will say to me "Oh, you work with deaf people, then you must know braille." :S THEY ARE DEAF, NOT BLIND.

Speaking of acting deaf, I guess I can do a good job of it, because I got out of a speeding ticket one time acting like I was deaf:ph34r:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Hilarious story! It must get awful frustrating, to be around folks who aren't familiar with various dis-abilities.:S It kind of reminded me of when I was learning Spanish, years ago. Part of our instruction, was talking with Spanish speakers. Our instructor at the academy told us that if, we are using the wrong verb or pronouncing words incorrectly, yelling it doesn't make it understood any better!:D

Chuck

Gee, I'm failing to see the humor in your story. how many deaf people do you think this poor old woman has come in contact with? Would it have been more appropriate for her to get a book on sign language?

I am not deaf, I do not know what it's like to walk in your shoes. I do deal with my daughters' handicap everyday and I try really hard not to be cynical about the way she is treated on occasion. I try to disengage myself when I watch people avoid her like she doesn't exist. Sure, I could get angry, but I think I understand their discomfort better than they do. It's easier to respond to handicaps when you're exposed to them.

And I guess I don't see the humor in jacking around with an old person under any circumstance.

Peace.

I have to agree with Shrek....all you damn 'silent' types making fun of us hearing individuals. It's not our fault you're bitter because 1 in 3 deaf people get carpal tunnel!!!!:o:D

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
I love fucking with you BV - you've just got such a good attitude about it!!

I lived with a blind guy for two years in college - and through him helped out in Disabled Skiing. It's impressive how freaking ABLE those darn "gimpies" were!!! "There's a lot of ABILITY in disABILITY"..."you can't be disABLED without being ABLE first" I heard it all, but it really is TRUE

I'm always telling BV to be quiet:o:) when he's signing to his friends...

...he hurts my ears!!:D:D:D:D

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Kiwi, RB #926, AFF-I, FAA Snr. Rigger, RN/BSN/Paramedic

Gee, I'm failing to see the humor in your story. how many deaf people do you think this poor old woman has come in contact with? Would it have been more appropriate for her to get a book on sign language?

I believe Billy was simply pointing out the "slow reaction time" of this person in not getting that BV's wife was deaf - not blind. So, if you're trying to communicate to a deaf person with a Braille book - and that person is looking at you and pointing to the words, but being quiet - it's kind of humerous. I see it that way, at least.

I do deal with my daughters' handicap everyday and I try really hard not to be cynical about the way she is treated on occasion. I try to disengage myself when I watch people avoid her like she doesn't exist. Sure, I could get angry, but I think I understand their discomfort better than they do. It's easier to respond to handicaps when you're exposed to them.

She's precious!! I love the outfit!!:)I'm sure as a parent it hurts to see your baby looked over, and treated differently. As you say, I haven't been there - I haven't walked in your shoes.

All I think BV was trying to illustrate is that when you keep your sense of humour - and display it proudly - it doesn't matter whether you're handicapped or not....we all love a good laugh!

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Kiwi, RB #926, AFF-I, FAA Snr. Rigger, RN/BSN/Paramedic

Billy, isn't there a story about John and a blind guy in a golf cart in MD at a DZ????:D

I don't think I've heard that one... But do YOU know John is blind in one eye as well as totally deaf? :ph34r: You'll have to tell me the story...

I've had awkward moments with blind people before. When I used to work for Steak-Out as a delivery driver (just like Domino's Pizza but they make steak and chicken dinners). I delivered to an apartment. There was a delayed response to my door-knocking. When the door did open, I didn't see the customer at first, and I cautiously stepped in. Whaddaya know, I delivered to a blind couple! So there I was, struggling to understand what they were saying and them being confused as to why I couldn't understand. Finally I said I'm deaf. They say oh really, we're blind! :D I did make out that there was a check on the table and go to pick it up. It was totally printed out with a stamped signature... They have a special check printer. Insert check, type what they want on a braille keyboard and hit enter. zzz-zz-zzz....and out it comes... pretty cool! :)