kansasskydiver

Computer geek help. Setting up SMTP server

Ok I need to install SMTP on my server here at home and I think I'm not thinking right about something here.

WinXP
Apach2
PHP
MySQL

Do I have to install a 3rd party software or is there something I can do with apache2 and the ports?

Or am I totally off?
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

Then you're noticing very wrongly. 99+% of the world's email is routed through free software. There's simply no reason to pay for SMTP software.

sendmail
qmail
postfix

Note that some of these can be difficult to configure if you don't know what you're doing. Additionally, make sure you're not running an open relay (ie. accepting unauthenticated connections), or you'll be personally responsible for some of the spam problem.

In other words, do some serious reading about how SMTP works before you set up a home server. Oh, and check your TOS. Some ISPs don't like you running SMTP servers.

WinXP = Operating System
Apache2 = HTTP server software
PHP = Server side scripting language.
MySQL = Database.

None are an SMTP server, though many can use an SMTP server to relay alerts & notifications. If that's all you need to do, just use the SMTP server provided by your ISP.

There is an SMTP server in Windows XP (very very basic one), again as bob.dino said you have to be careful about becoming an open relay. It can be installed through Add/Remove control panel and configured using the IIS snap on for MMC.
Most ISP servers are set to only relay for trusted IPs, and some allow outbound authentication to relay. So basically if you are connected to your ISPs network you should be able to send through their SMTP servers. I am not sure exactly what you are trying to do with your message board, but you should be able to relay through the ISP smtp server.

There is an SMTP server in Windows XP (very very basic one), again as bob.dino said you have to be careful about becoming an open relay. It can be installed through Add/Remove control panel and configured using the IIS snap on for MMC.
Most ISP servers are set to only relay for trusted IPs, and some allow outbound authentication to relay. So basically if you are connected to your ISPs network you should be able to send through their SMTP servers. I am not sure exactly what you are trying to do with your message board, but you should be able to relay through the ISP smtp server.

There are many advantages to wresting control of your outgoing email from your ISP’s hands.

1. Avoiding server delays.
2. Speed –
3. Control
4. Avoid Relaying Denied messages
5. For managing large-scale mail-outs

Anyway an easy way to set you self up is to use http://www.postcastserver.com/

With remarkably little effort on your part, takes over the role of your ISP’s SMTP server. It turns your PC into an SMTP server which works with any email client and any Internet connection. It runs on all versions of Windows and works on both LANs and on standalone PCs.
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

There's quite a number of (mainly US) ISPs that now block all port 25 traffic that doesn't originate from their own mailservers. So you end up having to configure and connect to those anyway...

This is correct. but this list is small,
AT&T
MindSpring
MSN
CableOne
NetZero
Charter
People PC
Comcast
ATTBI
Sprynet
Cox
Sympatico.ca
Verio
EarthLink
Flashnet
Verizon
MediaOne/Roadrunner
Bellsouth

So therefore use a HTTP tunnel as I reckon none of them are blocking port 80.

www.http-tunnel.com this is also useful if you company blocks the ports that you need to run your favourrit p2p program.....
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

You'll need to run a 3rd party SMTP server, like http://www.xmailserver.org/ and you'll need to configure it to forward all outgoing email to your ISP's SMTP server so you're relaying off of that.

About 10-20% of the internet anymore does reverse lookups on the SMTP server where they're receiving email from. If the SMTP server IP address doesn't resolve to a MX, it'll reject the mail as spam.

It's simplier all around to just use your ISP's SMTP server, unless you want to do inbound email.

What's message board software are you using? I'd be very surprised to find it didn't support SMTP authentication - it's email facilities would be practically useless...

Mercury board. It does not have an option to enter a password for SMTP authentication. So I'd just prefer to use localhost to send out the email verifications
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

As MarkM said you need to configure everything to go through your ISPs SMTP server or you are going to end up with a lot of people not getting the e-mails. Pretty much anyone running any spam blocking blocks e-mail from dynamic IP addresses that are given to home internet connections. Whichever one you do choose you need to make sure it has the ability to relay through the ISP. That will overcome the dead-end email problem of dynamic IPs. I run linux so I have sendmail, but there are some decent windows ones that are free or don't cause much at all.

I'll ask a buddy what he is using, I know he has one.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka