RoadRash

Talk about making the news...

Taking the Plunge

I met this family inadvertently when:....I got my hair cut (the daughter Jessica cut my hair a few years ago)...I met the father and son while they were jumping in Kankakee where I did my first few jumps...Sarah I met out at the wind tunnel at WFFC '03...and the mom shops at the health food store where I work...:D:ph34r::D...Small town, small world...

Check out the websites listed below the article...:P;)B|...

~R+R:)...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

nice article, but where did this fact come from??

"People have been using parachutes for at least 900 years"

I didn't think planes have been around that long let alone when DaVinci firsted dreamed of them??
matt:S
[:/]i missed the line about the chinese in the 1100s. still want to know more about what they were doing with canopies back then.

nice article, but where did this fact come from??

"People have been using parachutes for at least 900 years"

I didn't think planes have been around that long let alone when DaVinci firsted dreamed of them??
matt

"using parachutes" and "parachuting" are two different things...:)
~R+R:)...

The first jumpers were ... (basically) B.A.S.E. jumpers. The first known, a Parisian, died in his first attempt. Jumps, were made from buildings. Odd, how history repeats itself. Since 911, ideas are floating around for the use of parachutes to exit tall buildings in the event of some disaster.:)

Chuck

good point. :P the comment just got my brain spinning... lol. scary for a sunday.

No problem...:D...I was SOOOOOOO {pleaseantly} surprised that this article popped up...B|...The Purdue Sport Parachute Club has been wanting to reinvent itself and this looks like a good start...;)...Especially since it sort of died out last year...:o...

~R+R:)...WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

hey, i think i met sahra last year at the wffc..... is she blond???? if i'm thinkking of the right person she seemed pretty cool...... (to bad a chair hit her in the head...(if that's the correct person i'm thinking about)) i have a video around the bonfire on sat night, you should see it and see if it's her...

Parachutes are invented long before hot air balloons, and even longer before heavier than air aircraft.

In the eleventh century small parachutes are used for amusement during gymnastic displays to retard short falls and Warlords attached them to vanquished enemies before shoving them off not so shear cliffs. (I assume this prolonged the agony).

Real fixed object parachute jumping began as a series of test jumps made to prove parachutes could be used to escape from fires in tall structures. Stonemasons of the 15th century are erecting towers as high as 200-feet or more, and people became trapped on the upper floors when fires broke out below.

The best known of what history calls "the tower jumpers" is Faust Veranso who in front of 3000 people jumped from a Venice tower in 1416.

Many parachute jumps had already been made before that French guy jumped from the balloon over Paris late in the nineteenth century, the one everybody cited as the first parachute jump ever. Most texts (Even the USPA) now correctly call it the first from a flying machine which it was it was.

Parachutes were perfected enough that by 1912, only 9 years after the Wright Brothers first flew their airplane, a man named Fredrick Law almost made BASE by jumping from New York's Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn Bridge, and the Banker's Trust Building on Wall Street. If we ever prove Law jumped a cliff all us BASE jumpers are going to have to move up one number. ;)

A parachute jump is a parachute jump. What you stepped off, or out of, has nothing to do with it . . . it wasn't until the very end of the first world war that parachutes and airplanes came together in the public's mind. And that's why until this day most people still think the airplane came first.

NickD :)BASE 194

I was SOOOOOOO {pleaseantly} surprised that this article popped up......The Purdue Sport Parachute Club has been wanting to reinvent itself and this looks like a good start...

My advertising professor, Basil Valente, always said, "Advertising is what you pay for... PR is what you pray for." :) Seems like you've got th perfect opportunity to capitalize on a public relations goldmine. Just make sure the right people get to read that article.:)matt

I was SOOOOOOO {pleaseantly} surprised that this article popped up......The Purdue Sport Parachute Club has been wanting to reinvent itself and this looks like a good start...

My advertising professor, Basil Valente, always said, "Advertising is what you pay for... PR is what you pray for." :) Seems like you've got th perfect opportunity to capitalize on a public relations goldmine. Just make sure the right people get to read that article.:)matt

I agree...and athe right people can't miss it...the problem with the Purdue Club is that they never really got support from the University because they are a liability...however, if it looks like something they could capitalize on...like the fact that the airport here needs desperate business...:ph34r:...then...well...read between the lines...;)B|...

~R+R:)