bseriesboosted

thinking of buying one of these anyone w/experience

oh itl be bran new if I get one

Quick breakdown of my experience with MKIV Volkswagens:

Not very quick
Poor handling (understeers into the next state)
GREAT interior, except when it starts falling apart after a few years.
Questionable reliability, at best.
Classy looks
Fun to drive
Decent gas mileage
Worst customer service out of any company I've dealt with, in any industry. Ever.
cavete terrae.

PM FlyingFerret, he just bought a new VW and over the past year has immersed himself in all things watercooled VW.

I can also answer any specific questions you ahve, though. I'm normally going to be the last to toot my own horn, but my bad experience with my Jetta over the last 5 years notwithstanding, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who knows more about the MKIV than I do.
cavete terrae.

I am an avid VW fan. Had a Corodo, and 2 Passat's.
Working on the DP for the Toureg. I don't know where that other guy shopped or visited A VW dealer, But my boys here at Gunther VW are great, any,I repeat any problem they will go out of there way to fix it. Thing is when that warrenty expires and you have to pay to fix something,$$$$ best vehicle I 've ever owned. to much fun to drive.

Good luck.

The TDI Golf is the best car I've ever owned. 44-51 mpg. I can get to FL from MD on $40.00 of fuel. What's not to like?:)
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Well, not to argue, but based on your post I above, I am not sure were are acquainted with the same cars.

People throw a lot of rocks at VW of America for big corporation lack luster service, I cannot say if that is ture or not, but my dealership experiences have been nice. That seems like saying I wrote Ford Motor Company personally and they responded with a form letter....uh, yeah.
I am have to completely disagree with you on speed and handling, although I admit I own a Jetta GLI, probably the one of best handling cars of they make. It might be the quickest in a straight line, but who wants that anyway. My understanding was good reliability, or I would not have made the purchase.
Again, not sure what your experience was, so I am not disagreeing with it. But perhaps it was not representative of the whole. The fit and finish/overall workmanship on my Jetta seems EXCELLENT compared to a comparably priced, say Chevy Impala or Ford Taurus.
Based on your immense knowledge of mkIVs, what would you rather own?
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

Well, not to argue, but based on your post I above, I am not sure were are acquainted with the same cars.

People throw a lot of rocks at VW of America for big corporation lack luster service, I cannot say if that is ture or not, but my dealership experiences have been nice. That seems like saying I wrote Ford Motor Company personally and they responded with a form letter....uh, yeah.
I am have to completely disagree with you on speed and handling, although I admit I own a Jetta GLI, probably the one of best handling cars of they make. It might be the quickest in a straight line, but who wants that anyway. My understanding was good reliability, or I would not have made the purchase.
Again, not sure what your experience was, so I am not disagreeing with it. But perhaps it was not representative of the whole. The fit and finish/overall workmanship on my Jetta seems EXCELLENT compared to a comparably priced, say Chevy Impala or Ford Taurus.
Based on your immense knowledge of mkIVs, what would you rather own?

Admittedly, when it comes to handling, I expect more than 99.999% of people do, since I push the car to the limit on the track a fair bit. That having been said, front wheel drive cars don't handle as well as RWD or AWD cars in general, that's just fact. Now, that having been said, even for FWD cars, MKIVs don't handle overly well when pushed hard, which is unfortunate given the sporty marketing you'll often see. The cars tend to understeer rather badly in stock form. This can be somewhat rectified by adding larger sway bars, and/or left foot braking, but it's the fact that the engine is so far forward that is causing the basic problems. In day-to-day driving, yes, they're not bad handling.

In any case, the fit & finish is amazing on VWs, don't get me wrong, it's just the fact that down the road, it starts to deteriorate. The soft-touch paint will start to flake off of commonly used controls after long enough.

The customer service aspect is hit-or-miss. It's been my experience that under warranty, the dealerships will be decent, AS LONG AS YOU BOUGHT THE CAR FROM THEM. Going to "foreign" dealerships is rarely an enjoyable experience. Once you're out of warranty, all bets are off. As for VW Corporate, they basically refuse to acknowledge any problems, and right-or-wrong, will usually side with the dealership in any kind of dispute. C'est la vie, I guess.

As for what I'd rather get, well, the list is long. I've realised that anything front wheel drive (with three exceptions, only one of which is still made, and it's too expensive for what you get) is a joke when it comes to performance, so I immediately rule out all FWD cars and FWD-until-slip AWD cars, such as the Audi A3/S3, TT, and Golf R32, because these cars act just like FWDs most of the time.

My Jetta is going to most likely be replaced by a Subaru Impreza WRX, because I'm putting more emphasis on performance than entry-level-luxury. If I weren't doing that, I'd look at the Subaru Legacy, which is larger and more luxurious. These cars might not be as easy on the eyes, but the reliability of Subarus is AMAZING. If I weren't looking there, I'd probably go with an Infiniti G35.

In any case, your GLI probably doesn't have the reliability issues of most MKIVs because the GLI wasn't introduced into the lineup until "most" of the issues with the platform were worked out. I made a major mistake buying an early MKIV, and I realise that now, but the amount of time that passed before VW acknowledged and fixed various design flaws was shocking.
cavete terrae.

Well to each his own, and I respect your opinion. BUT, you come off as a autocrosser/rally driver trying to place his expectations on a street car.

I am not gonna get into an argument, but if you rate the WRX above an A3 or R32 your demands are very different than mine. Track tests have been made with an EVO, WRX STi, and R32, and the results do not back what you are saying. I would not buy a WRX, they feel thin/cheap. That might be a pretty unscientific test, but they fell nothing like my GLI. So if I gain 1 second, at the expense of that...meh. I will agree their dependability is very high. However, if they break parts and aftermarket are higher than similar boltons for the 1.8T.

Additionally, I will disagree with your statement about FWD. There a HUGE question of context. There is a reason the most cars are FWD today vs RWD 20 years ago....and....it is handling. Now granted it is in the sense that might not give you the fasted line through a curve. But it will help average drivers in conditions other than dry smooth pavement.

Again, it sounds like you are buying a track car, and from that standpoint, I don't disagree with you. However, if buying from the standpoint of $20-25K transportation with a large fun streak, I think VW and Acura are your two choices. It is just my opinion, I considered the WRX, the r32, GTI, etc, and came away with a Jetta GLI, because it was the best mix. But even then, I would have pruchased an r32 over a WRX STi at the same price.
--

My wife drives an '02 Jetta Wagon 1.8T and it has been a good car for almost 55,000 miles- no major problems that jump out in my memory, except some service dept. issues (the manager told me to put 87oct. in the tank to cure what I thought was a hesitation, even though the manual and gas door state 91 minimum- not to mention ~9.3:1 compression plus ~10 psi of boost:S). If you're looking at the MkIV, I would opt for at least the 1.8T. I don't think I'd take the plunge on a MkV yet, for reasons previously stated as far as buying the first year of a new model car.

This is mine: http://www.mk1scirocco.com/scirocco/pics/mk2/_kelly/kelly3.jpg
MkI chasis, MkIV drivetrain;) 1.8T w/GT28R and an 02M tranny. NO warranty issues whatsoever:P

yea im looking at an 05 gti still the old body style... with the 1.8t... and i'm pretty much sold on the car because of gas,resale, and overall drivability i have drivin the wrx,civic si,srt4,and the focus and are all fun cars but im pretty much convinced that the gti is the one for me...

thanks for all the help guys....
Pruitt

Skydive The Farm

Just FYI, the pic you posted was a Golf, not a GTI. No biggie, but might have had some effect on the kind of feedback you got, since a golf can be any one of several engine choices.

The GTI is a great car, if you happened to get a 20th anniversary they have a lot of extras, but I can understand wanting new as well.
Additionally, while I do not like the styling of the new mkV jettas AT ALL:S, the GTIs are alright, not great. BUT...the interiors are NICE
http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/uploads/028__scaled_600_001.jpg

When I was making my decision, I was looking at an 03 20thAE GTI, an 03 VR6 GLI, and an 05GLI. They 05 won mainly on just mean looks. But I was comforted because I was choosing between better and best. I think in any case, mkIV, mkV you will get a good car....assuming some early model glitches on the mkV.
--

It looks cute. My daughter asked about that one & a Mini Cooper.
(She picks the Color....I pick the Volvo that she gets)

I've got a 2004 Golf GLS TDI.

I've gotten 52 mpg consistently. Handles great - drives like a race care. I've put 20k on it and it still handles and feel like new.

I love it.

Not to mention, the monsoon sound system is f****** awesome.
Scars remind us that the past is real

I've got a 2004 Golf GLS TDI.

I've gotten 52 mpg consistently. Handles great - drives like a race care. I've put 20k on it and it still handles and feel like new.

I love it.

Not to mention, the monsoon sound system is f****** awesome.

There's alot to be said about diesil right now. my co-worker just bought one like yours (we commute 42 mile each way)
I live in Pennsylvainia, and I need my daughter in a Volvo (N.J. & P.A. drivers are the BAIN of humanity)
I want her to survive.
I had a Passat crush itself on the bumper of my Volvo=entire front end & radiator GONE....I had a scratch where the broken head light got it.
Her turbo won't get 53mpg but, she'll make it home for the Holidays.

You say that about a Volvo and although I would normally agree with you, the '05 GTI got the highest rating on all sides that the institute had ever seen in a car!

Although I think that if you were ever in a semi-serious accident and all of those damned airbags fired, it would total the car just due to having to replace all the airbags.:o
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Get a Subaru Impreza WRX for the same or less money. It'll kick the crap outta that car. :P

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

My Jetta is going to most likely be replaced by a Subaru Impreza WRX, because I'm putting more emphasis on performance than entry-level-luxury. If I weren't doing that, I'd look at the Subaru Legacy, which is larger and more luxurious. These cars might not be as easy on the eyes, but the reliability of Subarus is AMAZING. If I weren't looking there, I'd probably go with an Infiniti G35.

LOL! When I posted above, I had not even read down to this reply!
GO YOU! Get that WRX, man! I only wish I had done the same, but don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my Impreza Outback Sport Wagon. I just wouldn't mind the jump from 165 horsepower to 227 (forget about the STI, though, 'cause you pay over thirty grand to get 300HP :o)

Let us know when you get the WRX. I'd love to read you glowing about it. :)
Subaru is a sleeper. They make GREAT cars, and about the best AWD around this side of Audi's Quattro, from what I've read (though I'm no expert). I'm sold on the concept of the symmetry and weight distribution of their drivetrain alone!

Blue skies,
-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"