ChasingBlueSky

Hitchhiker's Guide: The Movie

Was able to attend the sneak preview last night. Already I'm biased to like it since I got to see it free at a really nice theatre!

I didn't expect much overall, and I don't have much to compare it too since I never finished the book (and know most of the story from the video game).

I was the only one in my group that didn't know the story inside and out, and found I was defending the movie once it was done. I knew that Adams had been working on the script for years and he felt that it could change for the movie and pretty much had it done just before he died. (btw - keep an eye out for his image in the movie a few times) I'm sure there were some changes to what he did, but for the most part it was his story and idea up on the screen. My friends had issues with some major changes to the story, and the way certain characters were handled and some events surrounding them in the story.

From a neophyte fan's perspective - I liked it. The Jim Henson group did a great job on the Volgons, the improbable drive made me laugh each time it was used, seeing deep thought was great, the special effects were top notch and the factory floor scene will have you scanning the screen to take it all in. Sure, there were a few things that didn't work, but it's a comedy and that will happen. The one part that didn't really work for me was surrounding the John Malkovich character....and from my understanding it was created just for this movie. It seemed forced and wasn't funny, and in the end it was quite pointless. (maybe setting things up for the 2nd movie?)

Bottom line - if you are a fan of the book - don't go in expecting to see the book on screen (isn't that said about every adaptation). There have been quite a few changes made.

If you are not a fan of the book, it is a funny and enjoyable movie.

There's nothing you can do about that attitude. A lot of these people have counted Hitchhiker's as one of their favorite books since high school or before. Of course they are going to be sensitive to changes, even if their rational side understands that an exact translation between mediums simply doesn't work and would be far worse (yeah, Sin City, every rule has an exception).

The BBC made a TV series of the first book in the early eighties. Very low budget compared to what would happen now but I loved it. I've just bought it on DVD and re watched it all again.

I would class my self as a big fan and have read the books several times. I hope when I see the movie that I go in with an open mind and don't compare it to the original, which was actually a BBC radio play then written as a book after a very successful broadcast.

I've been looking forward to seeing this movie for a few years and I'm sure it'll be as equally entertaining as the other media it was produced in. The problem tis sort of material has is that it has cult following and everyone knows that cult members aren't happy unless they're committing mass suicide! :P

Too much is never enough!

All right scud?

I am a bit of a Hitchhikers anorak.

It was originaly a Radio Play on BBC Radio4, Then Came the Books, then the TV seriers.

All 3 have incosistansies, and differeces in the story, so it is not supprising that the film also makes changes. It is in keeping with what has happend in the past.

Nobody really complains that they are not the same and have different story lines.

I am going to see it this Saturday, I hope I wont be too disapointed

--------------------------------------------------
You only have one life, make the most of it.

Pay close attention to the part in the movie while they are waiting in line (I won't spoil what for). You may see something from the originall BBC TV Series.

Does it have the whale who goes through a major self-actualization before hitting the ground?

I'm one of the geeks who has read all five books in the trilogy!

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Does it have the whale who goes through a major self-actualization before hitting the ground?

check my sig line!

i've been a douglas adams fan since about '84 when i read the first book. i don't expect the movie to follow the book exactly, i'm just hoping it doesn't lose the 'brit wit' in the translation to the big screen. if they don't screw it up too badly it has the potential to become the 'new' holy grail. B|
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

-Karen

There happens to be a freefalling whale in the movie. That sequence had the entire theater laughing.

btw - I think that Zooey that plays Trillian does a great job. And without fail, like any other movie she has been in, they really play up her incredible eyes.

didn't Douglas Adams coin the phrase "Flying is easy, you just throw yourself at the ground, and miss" ?

I am SO looking forward to this movie!
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Yup! Thats the guy who figured out how to fly.

Hey for you Douglas Adams fans, Try reading "A Salmon of a Doubt." Its on religion and stuff, its a bit more intellectual but equally entertaining.

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Yup! Thats the guy who figured out how to fly.

Hey for you Douglas Adams fans, Try reading "A Salmon of a Doubt." Its on religion and stuff, its a bit more intellectual but equally entertaining.

-Karen

They take a big shot at religion in this movie.

-Karen

There happens to be a freefalling whale in the movie. That sequence had the entire theater laughing.

btw - I think that Zooey that plays Trillian does a great job. And without fail, like any other movie she has been in, they really play up her incredible eyes.

I have a girl in my freshman class right now named Trillian, Her parents were big Adams fans. She says that on the whole very few people know about where her her name comes from, but she is NOT looking forward to the next few weeks.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

There's nothing you can do about that attitude. A lot of these people have counted Hitchhiker's as one of their favorite books since high school or before. Of course they are going to be sensitive to changes, even if their rational side understands that an exact translation between mediums simply doesn't work and would be far worse (yeah, Sin City, every rule has an exception).

I confess, I've been trying hard not to cringe at the TV trailers when they come on. I try to understand what you modern humans call "progress," but I'm a Cave Man. I was frozen some time in the late '70s and just recently thawed out by a group of your scientists. Before that, however, the Guide and it's sequels were the first books that ever made me laugh out loud. Helplessly...In public no less ...Like some kind of unbalanced person.
(Note to the uninitiated: They're not Sci-Fi, they're just plain f*ckin' FUNNY.)

The BIGGEST problem I can foresee is that about half of the funniest moments in the books were either thoughts in the characters heads or descriptions of what they were looking at. There was also something very British about everybody and everything which is hard to translate into American humor.

I think I'd only be willing to see it if I could get at least ten people of later generations to solemnly promise that they will read at least the first book by the end of the summer.

.....We Cultists also aren't happy unless we're recruiting:)
OrFunV/LocoBoca Rodriguez/Sonic Grieco/Muff Brother #4411
-"and ladies....messin with Robbie is venturing into territory you cant even imagine!-cuz Robbie is

The BIGGEST problem I can foresee is that about half of the funniest moments in the books were either thoughts in the characters heads or descriptions of what they were looking at. There was also something very British about everybody and everything which is hard to translate into American humor.

I think I'd only be willing to see it if I could get at least ten people of later generations to solemnly promise that they will read at least the first book by the end of the summer.

The problem with most movies is they lack the narrative that is pushed on by the author of most any book. The actors try to represent visually the internal dialog they we had access to in book form. This is why most movies fail to truly represent what the book meant to anyone. A great movie that goes into what it takes to bring a book to script is "Adaptation." It is a must see for anyone that has ever complained about a movie based on a book.

Btw - this movie does have a narrator (the one from the trailer). For example - the part with the whale is full narration.

Agreed...if you read the foreword in the "Ultimate HHGTTU" he goes on for a bit about how the fact that they share the name means nothing; each and every media rendition has been different and when they all fit together mostly, he was as surprised as anyone. While a bit of that is humor, I think it remains he would say "42 is the answer lad, now sit back and watch the movie"
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

Agreed...if you read the foreword in the "Ultimate HHGTTU" he goes on for a bit about how the fact that they share the name means nothing; each and every media rendition has been different and when they all fit together mostly, he was as surprised as anyone. While a bit of that is humor, I think it remains he would say "42 is the answer lad, now sit back and watch the movie"

*golfclap* I happen to agree with the above statement.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," say Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't though of that" and promply vanishes in a puff of logic.

:D:D:D:D:D
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk