Megatron

Saber vs. Saber 2

You can't always pull as high as you plan to; what if break off goes to shit and there's someone above you, or you go up for a cloud ceiling load and the ceiling is lower than expected, or an airplane emergency at 2k? There's a lot of RW people out there that never break off above 4000. I pull somewhere in between 2.5 and 3 on freefall jumps, If I had a pilot it'd probably be between 3 and 3.5. Ideal would be 5-700 foot snivel, soft and not too much wasted altitude. The 50 or so jumps I put on a pilot my average opening was close to 1000 feet. Thats too much.

It is all a matter of preference of course. However I do not see a good reason to go below 3500-4000 on your openings. Cannot name a single good one. If your ceiling is unusually low, then scratch the planned RW jump. Dont jump with those who break at 4000, if you do then you should break at 5K. If your break off goes to shit and there is someone above you and you throw anyway, i doubted (correct me if im wrong) that it will make a difference whether your canopy opens in 600 or 800 or 1000 feet, plus you'd need to be on your back to see someone right above you. And if you jump from an airplane emergency at 2K i sure hope you are going to pull your reserve right away as was taught in ground school. Pilot is a fine canopy and I am sure there are ways to pack it to reduce the snivel.
- It's okay to be happy to see me. Just because you're English doesn't mean you need to hide your emotions.
- I'm Irish. We let people know how we feel. Now fuck off.

It really is a pain in the ass getting everyone that dumps at 2500ft to bump there breakoff up to 5000ft+, I feel like the party police.

think of it this way, you are giving them some extra time to practice their piloting skills. ;)
- It's okay to be happy to see me. Just because you're English doesn't mean you need to hide your emotions.

emergency exit at 2000 I'd pull main, remember 2k subterminal is not 2k terminal, anything below that I'd pull reserve. It's not hard to crane your neck to clear the airspace. I had a friend nearly fall through my canopy when I pitched below him when I had less than 100 jumps this summer, we had both fucked up and failed to clear our airspace. I take a look above me as I'm waving off ever since then. There's plenty of people who are proficient skydivers who pull at 2000 on every jump and they can handle it, Personally I feel comfortable with a pull altitude that has me open somewhere above 2000. Maybe you don't see a good reason to go under 3500 and your right, there's no good reason for any of this stuff we do. Its just a matter of personal comfort level.

your right, there's no good reason for any of this stuff we do. Its just a matter of personal comfort level.

That is not what i said, and I think there are tons of very good reasons why we do most of the things we do the way we do them.

notice the comma after "your right," the rest of that sentence was my thoughts. Pulling at 3500 is safer than pulling at 2500, just like 4500 would be safer than 3500. It's all personal comfort level. If I was jumping a snively canopy or something more high performance that is known to have squirrely openings I'd move my pull altitude higher.

It is all a matter of preference of course. However I do not see a good reason to go below 3500-4000 on your openings. Cannot name a single good one.

So, does that mean you can name a good reason to go below 6500'?

I think we got your point

I think we got your point:P
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I had both of them. Sabre1 was probably the first ZP canopy to have worked OK and it becames a world standard. However it was opening once in a while quite hard. Sabre 1 is a rectangular parachute while the Sabre 2 is semi elliptical which makes seemingly a difference with smoother openings. Because the Sabre 2 is semi elliptical or tappered it also turns faster. The Sabre 2 seems to have a more powerful flare. However both canopies are great. The Sabre 1 is an excellent choice for your budget but try to get a dome slider or a larger slider than the original one and make sure to fold it in 4 parts (between each set of lines).
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

It is all a matter of preference of course. However I do not see a good reason to go below 3500-4000 on your openings. Cannot name a single good one.

There was a glitch in the network or in the message board software and it triple posted ... hey, Bill, how about deleting my dupes too?? I can't.

i also usually throw around 4000, just gives you more time to deal with shit. and if you do have a mal, you can get rid of your main, get back to a stable fall and pull silver and rest assured you'll have a clean reserve.

but i've been called a dirty high-puller before. i think its a safety-concious decision. if i do have a snivel and are open at 2500, i already feel uncomfortable..

to each their own! :)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

i also usually throw around 4000, just gives you more time to deal with shit. and if you do have a mal, you can get rid of your main, get back to a stable fall and pull silver and rest assured you'll have a clean reserve.
but i've been called a dirty high-puller before. i think its a safety-concious decision. if i do have a snivel and are open at 2500, i already feel uncomfortable..

AFF, right? :P
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

nope, thats my normal pull-alti.. :)
:D:D:D
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Because I want to. Good enough reason for me.

And if you jump from an airplane emergency at 2K i sure hope you are going to pull your reserve right away as was taught in ground school.

I've used my main from non-emergency exits below 2k.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

;) ... and jumps at turbine DZ's only too, I'd bet. :P

cant help it mate, we only do turbines around here. maybe choppers, if we want to feel underprivileged.. :P;)B|
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

To tell the truth after doing some CReW jumps, I don't see any good reasons to open below full jump altitude B|
but to be honest 4K seems like an excellent point to pull. Above cuts into my FF time, below cuts into my safety and flying time.

As for boogies with 3K max altitude, I was not aware of them.

However this conversation is not for this post, perhaps someone can move these pull decision talks into a general discussion thread?

the Sabre 1 isn't very forgiving of sloppy packing, and it still will open more briskly than the stuff that you're probably used to. I've actually come to appreciate the brisk openings. It's nice being able to pull at 2500 and be open well above 2000. "

Back breaker!!!! pull at 2500 and get an open canopy well above 2000!!!! HAHHAHAHA

There was a glitch in the network or in the message board software and it triple posted ... hey, Bill, how about deleting my dupes too?? I can't.

I figured so that is why i put :P in there instead of:S or [:/] or :|. :D:D I noticed it was bad last night.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!