cocheese

Crossing a dog with a cat

Is it possible ? has it ever been done ? Just something i thought of while reading the dog thread.

Wonder what it would be like ? Unpredictable i bet.

Is there a half dog/ half cat like animal ?

I think that closest to that mix would be the hiena(SP). While they look kind of like dogs they are actually closer related to cats. Just saw that on NGC last night

I suppose anything is possible,
But if you tried mating a dog with a cat, would'nt you just get a fucked up cat.

I mean it's not as eaisy as mating a human with a worm, where you get a politician

Gone fishing

Pic for ya ....B|
You gotta lotta time on your hands? Every second thread I read is yours ! :P

-------------------------------------------------
Please forgive the sp errors, I have dyslexia. Don't laugh ... the last time i went to a toga party, I went dressed as a goat !!

>Is it possible ?

Nope. They won't crossbreed and they won't hybridize. Cats have 19 pairs of chromosomes; dogs have 39. That's a big problem in interbreeding. You can sometimes get hybrids in animals of different species with similar numbers of chromosomes - donkeys have 31 pairs and horses have 32, and they can produce a (sterile) offspring called a mule. But the more difference in the genome the less likely that anything viable will be produced.

That being said, there are pleny of strains of cats that have been bred to be like dogs and vice versa, and there are lots of animals (hyenas, coyotes, lynx) that show characteristics of both.

>Is it possible ?

Nope. They won't crossbreed and they won't hybridize. . . . .

Not to mention Psyche -

To a dog - you're family
To a cat - you're staff

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

Hey hun....hate to break it to you but it can't be done:( In order to reproduce the organism or species needs to have the same chromosomal number. The dog and the cat are off by i think 1 or 2. Like we have 46 chromosomes so we can only reproduce with other organisms with 46 chromosomes.

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

I can't imagine what they would sound like... "meoarf!"? :S

Besides, if it was possible... wouldn't the dog half of the animal be trying to chase its cat half up a tree?? :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban