BeattheDrums

Fun on Airlines

I just thought this was funny so I thought I would share...

I recently flew on Continetial and carried on my rig. I wore my neptune on because I just got it and wanted to play with it some. Well while walking on to the plan I get asked "Do you know something I dont" you know that sort of thing... The plan takes off and I think some people were watching me close since I was on the Emergancy exit row. As we climb my Neptue realizes were climbing and goes into airplane mode. The guy across the Asile notices the thing counting up and gives me a strange look. Well we keep climbing and I keep playing with my Neptune and I accidently hit the thing to demo the alarms...
So there I am trying to get my audible to shut up as it goes trough all three of the warnings... Its like the entire plane Inhaled at once. as I look up (now bright red) i realize I am the center of attention as 50 people are now stareing at me waiting and Im sure expecting for me to make a break for the emergancy door...

A thunder of jets in a clear blue sky, a streak of gray and a cheerful "Hi"

Dude, that's nuts! Lucky you didn't get arrested! I think they have a lot of leeway in terms of giving you shit for "behavioral" discrepancies and deviations from the norm.

Where else can you get arrested for saying a single word, but on an airliner or in an airport?!

So consider yourself lucky, I would think. They could have called up a shitstorm on you...

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

My father and I were flying from Oz to the US to visit some family, and I had a PlayStation emulator on my PowerBook at the time, complete with PlayStation controllers.... we were playing NHL 2000 about halfway through the flight, in triple overtime, and I scored a goal that should never have gone in to win the game.

My father, 48 years old at the time if memory serves, is mentally about 16. He, forgetting we were in fact on an airplane, goes "DAMMIT! Cheap fucking goal! REMATCH!" really loud, and boooooy did he get some dirty looks :D
cavete terrae.

Dude I carry my rig on planes all the time.. but I'm always very nice to people who ask about it and tell them its a sport rig and I have no grand desire to jump out of *this* plane... so that I dont screw it up for the rest of us...

(ok sometimes I joke around and say "what, they didn't give you one??.. But they can always tell I'm joking)

Nice story - fun with wuffos!

But seriously, stick that stuff in a suitcase next time. The public is still freaked out about airplanes and we need to keep it on the DL.

If you absolutley MUST let everyone know you're a skydiver, wear a t-shirt.

Go to Target and buy a cheap 21" rolling pilot case. The rig will fit perfectly, be mobile, and will attract absolutely zero attention. Put it on the belt, keep your mouth shut, and you'll be fine.

Take the chest strap and wrap it around the reserve handle a few times and thread it through the buckle. Please don't tie a rubber band or a pullup cord around the handle- more than one person has done that and actually jumped it that way. Sometimes I get someone that wants to try on my rig or something like that and I considered getting a big red 'REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT' banner to secure the handle to prevent accidents.

When you guys carry your rigs on board, do you take special care to secure the handles and stuff somehow, or do you just go ahead and take it on as-is?

I tie my chest strap and a pull up cord around the reserve handle, and I undo the RSL.

I had a strange dream where I was flying and carried on a rig, and somehow the hackey got caught on something, and by the time I got to my seat, my main, d-bag, and lines were laid out down the aisle :S I hope I'd notice the resistance in real life, though!
cavete terrae.

Go to Target and buy a cheap 21" rolling pilot case. The rig will fit perfectly, be mobile, and will attract absolutely zero attention. Put it on the belt, keep your mouth shut, and you'll be fine..

Your rig, obviously, is smaller than whatever I'll end up getting ;) In any case, with something that expensive and hard to replace, I'll certainly be carrying it on, even if it's put in a duffle bag or something.
cavete terrae.

Absolutely carry that baby with you, but keep it out of sight. There have been several reports of gear being tampered with during screening and made unsafe (probes shoved into reserve containers, bolt cutters on the pins, etc.). I'm 5'8" and my old Talon with a 195 Falcon squeezed into a 21" case quite nicely. You'd have to take some measurements, but the rolling cases are great if you can make use of them. The rigid sides protect your rig from overbearing handlers.

Absolutely carry that baby with you, but keep it out of sight. There have been several reports of gear being tampered with during screening and made unsafe (probes shoved into reserve containers, bolt cutters on the pins, etc.). I'm 5'8" and my old Talon with a 195 Falcon squeezed into a 21" case quite nicely. You'd have to take some measurements, but the rolling cases are great if you can make use of them. The rigid sides protect your rig from overbearing handlers.

Oh, gotcha, I thought you meant to check it, I'm like "yarr...."

Yeah, I'll be buying a 230/230 main/reserve rig or something in that range, so it won't be too compact, but I'll figure something out. I fly so much that I've collected a lot of luggage, I'm sure I have something that'll do the job. Worst case, I'll buy some cordura and make a carry bag.
cavete terrae.

I always wear a T shirt to identify myself as a skydiver.

If the people ask me about the rig Im more than happy to let them look at it and explain the diffrent parts and how it all works and that it wont be used on this flight its just that i dont trust the TSA guys with it.

However most people just give me funny looks and dont ask

Not a bad Idea about the rolling bag.. or hell even a gear bag.

A thunder of jets in a clear blue sky, a streak of gray and a cheerful "Hi"

I'd kick you off the PLANE just because you can't spell PLANE!!!

And it's "aisle"!

And.... and... and... "WE'RE" not "WERE" when meaning a contraction of the words WE and ARE!

And... and ....and... say it with me... CON-TI-NEN-TAL. Not Continetial.

Oh for crying out loud. Do you proof read?

Yes, I'm razzing you. ;)

Go to Target and buy a cheap 21" rolling pilot case. The rig will fit perfectly, be mobile, and will attract absolutely zero attention. Put it on the belt, keep your mouth shut, and you'll be fine.

Actually, 21" didn't do it for me (the rig would probably fit, but you'd literally have to kick it to get inside -- I definitely didn't want to do that). 22", however, serves me very nicely. It fits an overhead bin wheels first on most planes. As a precaution, just in case anyone at the checkpoint is more curious than they shoud be, I always keep a printed and laminated TSA advisory (available form their website) inside, along with an X-Ray image of a rig (from Airtek), and clearly visible home-printed poster with a big STOP sign and a text: "This lifesaving equipment is NOT to be handled without the owner present!" This is just another wording of what their advisory says, anyway. So far, so good -- no questions asked...

As for checking my rig -- I would do it only if I have absolutely no other option.
--------------
We were not born to fly. And all we can do is to try not to fall...

I'd kick you off the PLANE just because you can't spell PLANE!!!

And it's "aisle"!

And.... and... and... "WE'RE" not "WERE" when meaning a contraction of the words WE and ARE!

And... and ....and... say it with me... CON-TI-NEN-TAL. Not Continetial.

Oh for crying out loud. Do you proof read?

Yes, I'm razzing you. ;)

:D:D:D:D I'm glad you said it, I didn't want to seem like an asshole:D:D:D:D

...you forgot the "wore".

When you guys carry your rigs on board, do you take special care to secure the handles and stuff somehow, or do you just go ahead and take it on as-is?

I bought a luggage set with a carryon bag that is allowed on ALL airlines.. and I stuff my rig into it.. kind of an out of sight.. out of mind...and I put all my stuff like altimeter.. logbook.. Birdman PANTZ.. sweatshirt..goggles.. gloves... in other words EVERYTHING I need to skydive except my helmet.

And I have a smaller bag that counts as my underseat bag.. and I put my camera and other valuables in it... and VOILA>.. no hassles with stuff disappearing from checked baggage.

Edited to keep poor Diver Driver from having a cow:P:P

Edited to keep poor Diver Driver from having a cow:P:P

Thank you. I'm feeling just a bit sensitive right now. Must be my time of the...

But you would think that of all people SKYDIVERS would be able to spell the word "plane" because they jump out of one regularly or at least talk about it on a regular basis.

...kids today...

Nice story - fun with wuffos!

But seriously, stick that stuff in a suitcase next time. The public is still freaked out about airplanes and we need to keep it on the DL.

If you absolutley MUST let everyone know you're a skydiver, wear a t-shirt.

I would love to put my rig into a bag, infact I got a bag just for that purpose, however when I put my LARGE rig into the bag it's barely over the carry on size limit, it is within that limit without the bag, so.. Since I jump big shit, I'm screwed and have to just carry it on :S

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm sorry,I know many of you are thinking it, but I am going to say it.

I can let the grammatical errors slide but I have to voice my concern about your story. There are numerous threads here on how to travel with ones gear and avoid hassles. Carrying your rig exposed is like wearing a target on your chest at the firing range. That aside, the really disturbing part is your playing with your Neptune on the flight. That's one step shy of yelling bomb on an airplane and could of gotten you in just as much trouble. Not saying that you don't take responsibility for your actions, which you would have had to do if they diverted the plane, but what you did could of potentially made it harder for the rest of us who choose to travel with our gear discreetly. Quoting a priceless line from the movie PCU.....DON"T BE THAT GUY. Think of the bigger picture and how your one action could affect all the rest of the skydivers out there next time you decide to travel with your gear.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Yeah...........I used to be an Air Marshal and THAT incident could result in several really bad things happening. The LEAST of which is you being hassled by being detained and interviewed the worst........you catching a .357 Sig in the forehead because someone thought you had an IED. Think I am kidding? I don't know where you were on 9/11 but this shit isn't a joke.

Yeah...........I used to be an Air Marshal and THAT incident could result in several really bad things happening. The LEAST of which is you being hassled by being detained and interviewed the worst........you catching a .357 Sig in the forehead because someone thought you had an IED. Think I am kidding? I don't know where you were on 9/11 but this shit isn't a joke.

I'm guessing quite a few people on that flight had small eletronic items they may have beeped or whatever ..gameboys etc.....would you shoot all of them as well? Sounds a tad overboard ..but regadless try not too do anything thats going to make it harder on any of us to bring our rigs on a flight ...I always wear mine on my back and it barely gets noticed and I have even gotten compliments on my cool back pack. :)

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "