ACMESkydiver

Which way would YOU go for flight training??

I'm in a quandry. [:/]

1.) On the one hand, I LOVE my IFR ground instrustor at college...his teaching style is identical to my learning style...and he has an awesome sense of humor. B| -Problem is, his plane is over an hour drive away, and I'm pretty sure his IFR instructor rating requires the student to complete a whole buncha freaking extra hours to get the rating...(part 61 vs part 141 or something like that...too lazy to look it up) = MUCH MORE $$$ in the long run...but he will do 2 flights a day...

2.)Or the local flight school, 13 minutes from my house, has a brand new fleet of planes, multiple instructors, and I could easily get 2 flights a day. They have the better FAA rating, so I won't have to pay for so many hours to get my qual's done...but who knows if I'll find an instructor I really gel with like my ground instructor...

3.)OR the neighborhood flight school, 3 minutes from my house- older planes, fairly new (green) instructors, and there are a lot of weird 'hidden' fees, and it's up here on a plateau so weather may hinder more flights than the big college down the hill down the road. I will probably not get more than 3 flights per WEEK in with these guys, due to it being a tiny little operation and not a whole lot of instructors available.

Well??? :| Man, if my ground instructor taught outta the big flight school, everything would be PEACHY! But now I have to decide...
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Sounds like #2 is a winner. No reason to go Part 141 unless there is some extenuating circumstances like GI Bill requirements. Cause............in the end........an FAA ticket is an FAA ticket. Doesn't matter how you got it. ;)

Oh....sorry. :$ Forgot to mention, yes I am on VA, but if I didn't go that route, I think I might have found other funding...maybe.
~Jaye

Good Luck on your decision,

I go with choice #2 for maybe a slightly different reason.

A great instructor is a wonderful thing. Does that mean you can't get the rating with less than that? How many pilots have suffered under dip shit instructors? thousands.

It's only a season, whether it's a great instructor or a shit bag, once you've got the ticket they are history.

For your instrument training, gray skies, for your skydiving, blue skies.

Mo

***The flight school that has cool planes and can get your cert's faster

Faster is not always better. I talk to these 6 month wonders every day and they have hours but no experience. To most flight schools you are a number that pays the bills. If you have a really good instructor stay with him/her until you at least have your instrument and then maybe look at a flight school for your multi/commercial/ATP. JMHO.

Speaking of 6 month wonders, last week I had a pilot of a E-145 (Regional Jet) call and requested her IFR clearance. There was no flight plan in the NAS so I told her I would put one in for her if she give me her flight plan info. When I ask her what equipment suuffix (type of navigational equipment on the aircraft) was she said "I'm not sure but it has GPS if that helps". Dude it's scary when the Captain of a regional jet hauling 50 passengers around doesn't even know what her equip. suffix is.
Good luck,

"I'm not a gynecologist but I will take a look at it"
RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"

you might find a CFII at local flight school that you like... till you fly with them, you won't know. I moved around to several different CFI while learning for my priavte pilot rating, it's harder to learn when your deaf....too bad because i'm deaf I can't get a insterment rating...oh well

You don't really give enough information to make a good decision. The difference between part 141 and part 61 on an instrument rating is not existant. The only difference is that 141 has more required ground training ($$) and part 61 requires cross-country PIC time which you must already have from what you are saying.

I wouldn't be so quick to dump your current instructor over a PERCEIVED savings. It may well end up costing you more to go some other way. I went to the flight school I went to for my IR, CP, CFI, and CFII because I was working with an awesome instructor. Everything else is really secondary.

Faster is not always better. I talk to these 6 month wonders every day and they have hours but no experience. To most flight schools you are a number that pays the bills. If you have a really good instructor stay with him/her until you at least have your instrument and then maybe look at a flight school for your multi/commercial/ATP. JMHO.

Um, I'm gonna be a 2 month wonder. :$ (Private only). Sorry, VA is running out, and I have to knock out my private like stupid fast to get going on my other ratings. I'll be flying every day, twice daily when it is feasible for my learning.

Speaking of 6 month wonders, last week I had a pilot of a E-145 (Regional Jet) call and requested her IFR clearance. There was no flight plan in the NAS so I told her I would put one in for her if she give me her flight plan info. When I ask her what equipment suuffix (type of navigational equipment on the aircraft) was she said "I'm not sure but it has GPS if that helps". Dude it's scary when the Captain of a regional jet hauling 50 passengers around doesn't even know what her equip. suffix is.
Good luck,

We are learning suffixes on Monday in my IFR ground class. :ph34r: Touched on it a bit in my private class, but we'll know it next week. :)
Oh, and kudos if you're an ATC...after 2 weeks of ATC I, I said "Oh hellll no," and bailed out. It was smoking my brain (I was trying to take it and IFR ground concurrently. First mistake. :S) and made me realize instantaneously that I NEVER want to be an ATC, though that was what I wanted to be outta high school so many years ago...:S
~Jaye

You don't really give enough information to make a good decision. The difference between part 141 and part 61 on an instrument rating is not existant. The only difference is that 141 has more required ground training ($$) and part 61 requires cross-country PIC time which you must already have from what you are saying.

I wouldn't be so quick to dump your current instructor over a PERCEIVED savings. It may well end up costing you more to go some other way. I went to the flight school I went to for my IR, CP, CFI, and CFII because I was working with an awesome instructor. Everything else is really secondary.

After a lil' more research, I think the big school has to be the only way for me now. Here's the deal: I have to get my private, IFR, and commercial to graduate for my degree. -commercial there's a BIG difference in hr's required between 61 & 141. And I am on VA, which makes a big difference. All the difference, in some cases here...

My ground instructor at college is awesome, and I'll be sure to make a point to take some flights with him on my own dime...but right now, I don't have my own dime to give him. :( And time is a huge concern...I can't afford 2 1/2 hours commute, including a ferry ride and that expense, to get the same rating I can get down the street.

SOOOO yesterday I took my :D flight from the flight school!!! :)
I got to fly one o' these beautimous air-o-planes!. 2001, very nifty airplane. (<---Holy shit it has SEATS in it...:D I laughed when she opened the door and she asked what was so funny...I said 'Seats!' and giggled...:P) And the girl that took me up is really sweet, I like her. She helped me not feel so dang nervous...:P (It was like my first jump all over again! :o:ph34r:)

All I can say is WOOOOO-HOOOOOO!!!! It was so much fun!!! :)
Thanks all. I think we have a winner. B|
~Jaye

***Oh, and kudos if you're an ATC...after 2 weeks of ATC I, I said "Oh hellll no," and bailed out.

Thanks, I've been a controller for 23 years and it's been fun. Aggravating, challenging and frustrating at times but fun. If you ever fly through Pensacola, FL. give me a yell in the tower on 119.9.

I'm sure you have heard it but it is worth repeating.
The 3 things that, as a pilot, do you absolutely no good are:

1. The runway behind you
2. The airspace above you and
3. The fuel that you left at the ramp.
;)

And never forget the FAA motto
"We're not happy until you're not happy!":P

Have fun out there and good luck on your ratings.

RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"

And never forget the FAA motto
"We're not happy until you're not happy!":P

Have fun out there and good luck on your ratings.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D That's great! :P

Thanks, I will make sure I know what the heck I'm doin' up there...;)
~Jaye

***Oh, and kudos if you're an ATC...after 2 weeks of ATC I, I said "Oh hellll no," and bailed out.

Thanks, I've been a controller for 23 years and it's been fun. Aggravating, challenging and frustrating at times but fun. If you ever fly through Pensacola, FL. give me a yell in the tower on 119.9.

Thanks also form me (controller for 20 years). Look me up at Pensacola Approach on 118.6,119.0,124.85,127.35,118.0...Oh hell....just ask if hushpuppy is working!....B|

"You made my panties wet!" Skymama (Fitz 09)
"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Hmmm...being a flight instructor and having a rack...this thread is getting to me.

As far as just "getting" your rating. DON'T!!! Getting your instrument rating in my opinion is thee most difficult rating to get. And I believe it should be. Look at accident statistics...There was a G-III that landed short of an airport in Texas...last November I believe. The plane was enroute to pick up senior President George Bush.

The plane crashed...do you wanna know what happened? The pilots...two man crew....had the VOR frequency in instead of the ILS.

Keep in mind that if you crash on a cloudy rainy day...you're funeral will be on a sunny day. It's just not worth it.

Stick with the instructor that you like and has the great teaching style. If you go with someone "green" there's nothing wrong with that...however if you are in IMC learning...and shit hits the fan...you need to think about that.

I have yet flown in an airplane that can read your ratings on your pilot certificate.

An airplane is a machine, it will kill you. And this is coming from someone who has a ring on her finger saying she's married to aviation. I wear a Stearman necklace around my neck and love the whole romance of aviation.

I don't mean to be an ass, but if anyone in this forum thinks a rating is just a rating should NOT be an aircraft. And quite frankly that's how you end up with pilot's who do not know what suffix to list when filing IFR.

Don't cut corners...because one day you may find yourself in the corner...and you won't know what the hell to do to make it out alive. I love flying, but a rating is not just a rating people.

Just like having your skydiving license doesn't make you a good jumper...just means you have a piece of paper to wipe your ass with.

Thanks, I will make sure I know what the heck I'm doin' up there...

See my quote above...I covered this. I need to not dawdle on this flight training, time is now of the essence; I waited too long to begin. I have the ability to progress rapidly, but if I DON'T, OH WELL. I am not flying for a living. It would be nice to get my ratings while the government will still pay 60% of them...but if not, I'll get my ratings like every other shmuck out there...get a loan or pay out of my pocket.

A rack or not has nothing to do with it. Whether it did have something to do with the incident a few posts above is not my concern. I know that I'll be ready when I fly. I can't speak for any other pilot's mistakes.
~Jaye

Hurry up Jaye. We need more jump pilots out here. Gotta have someone else to give Mike and Scott a run for the Caravan.

That's right, dammit! Just need like, 1000 more hours and I'm game! B|:P
~Jaye

When the approach goes down to minimums and you break out into a cold sweat you'll relize that money does'nt matter as much as you thought. Go for the training with the instructor you know and respect. You might not get the chance to regret a bad decision.

D.R. CFII

When the approach goes down to minimums and you break out into a cold sweat you'll relize that money does'nt matter as much as you thought. Go for the training with the instructor you know and respect. You might not get the chance to regret a bad decision.

D.R. CFII

He is an incredible instructor, but I've come to realize that I can't put in 3 hours (including a ferry ride) per flight just for commute time. I have other classes to take and kids. All other things being equal, that would have been my first choice, but it just isn't feasible unfortunately.

The good news is I highly doubt that he is the only good instructor around here (we have a bunch) and when I go for a counseling session with the school I can talk about what I need from an instructor and interview to see what each one is like.

I don't take life-saving instruction from people I don't connect with; I didn't in skydiving, and I won't for flight. I am careful about which people I take my counsel with. Like I said, I am quite certain that though he is an incredible instructor, he can't be the only one in the Northwest.

I don't 'have to' be a pilot. I don't 'have to' get tons of ratings. -For that matter, I never have to jump again, either. None of these things matter one iota for my financial future. I was hoping to use a benefit the government extended to me for my time in service. If it doesn't work out, I'm not going to force it through just to have a certificate.

It was a fun idea...if it doesn't happen, it's just one more unrealized dream left on the shelf. It's not like everyone doesn't have a ton of those anyway...no big deal. Life goes on, and it would probably mean that I'd save a ton of money in the long run for not getting involved in such a pricey hobby, and I wouldn't have to pay such f*cking high rates for life insurance. :|

-Who knows, maybe in ten hours of flight, I'll decide it sucks to fly the plane and leave that stress to someone else the rest of my life. :P Of course, that would mean I kinda just wasted several months in college, but what the hell...:S
~Jaye

***And this is coming from someone who has a ring on her finger saying she's married to aviation. I wear a Stearman necklace around my neck and love the whole romance of aviation.

You gotta love it. :)
In the "old days" (before the internet) we called it hangar flying. When the weather was bad, everyone would sit around the hangar, drink coffee and tell war stories and "you'll never believe what happened to me" stories. And as a new pilot you learned that if you listened to the old guys and gals you just might pick up a tip or two that could save your ass one day. I don't fly anymore (I take off in a plane but get out half way through the flight) but I sure do still love all aspects of aviation. Take care,