RyanOBrian

Suunto Owners....

I have the X-Lander. And I got a question.... Do you zero out your watch to 0 ft at your DZ or do you just do the math? For instance my dz is like 500ft above sea level so my watch reads 500 ft on ground. And since I'm using my watch mainly under canopy that dosent work. So do you just zero you watch out at ground and then deal with it not being true?? Sorry I dont know all that AGL bla bla bla terms. Hope this post makes sense... PEACE

I have a Suunto Vector and always zero it for the LZ. I also check it before each jump during the day and rezero it as needed. It is my understanding that these watches read only the barimetic pressure(just like any skydiving altimeter) and have to be adjusted to a specified altitude to read true altitude
Kirk
He's dead Jim

Sorry I dont know all that AGL bla bla bla terms.

Ryan, please do yourself a favor and go get your book learning re-done. You are passing all that info off as blah, blah, blah. It's that blah, blah, blah that you don't know that's going to hurt you and/or those around you.

The question you ask is a very basic one...one that's covered in every FJC I've ever taught, participated in or observed. It has nothing to do with the type of altimeter you use.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

on my Suunto Core i always reset it to 0ft at the landing area .... takes 15 secs max ... then i got an accurate direct reading.
--------------------------------------------------
I never used 2 rocks to start a fire ... this is called evolution !

Well, you could set it at zero and then know how far it is to the ground, or you could set it to some other random number, try to remember it under canopy, and then subtract, I just cant seem to figure out what is easier...

:D:D
Maybe there's a formula that doesn't involve integration.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Sorry I dont know all that AGL bla bla bla terms. Hope this post makes sense... PEACE

It is all the "bla bla" that will end up killing you. If you want to be a skydiver take the time to learn what you need to know.

As for the "X-Lander", but a real altimeter not a toy. There is no cool factor at 2,000 feet.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Sorry I dont know all that AGL bla bla bla terms. Hope this post makes sense... PEACE

Bla bla bla=
AGL- Above Ground Level. Self explanitory I hope.

MSL- Mean Sea Level. What pilots use. Taking off at LAX and landing at Denver (or vice versa) you need to know field elevation relative to sea level and have an accurate idea of your altitude relative to sea level. Especially IFR where you might not see the ground until a few hundred feet. (Don't ask what happened to "above" in MSL).

I don't know the spec's on the X-lander, but I was under the impression that most of the "Altimiter-Watch" units didn't update fast enough for skydiving. (might be wrong).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I don't know the spec's on the X-lander, but I was under the impression that most of the "Altimiter-Watch" units didn't update fast enough for skydiving. (might be wrong).

Suunto's do update fast enough for skydiving. I've been using one as my primary visual altimeter for years without issue.

To demonstrate to a local instructor last week, I put a Neptune2 and a Suunto in an FXC altitude chamber I have in the loft and took it up to 14,000 and then down to zero at freefall speed. The Neptune2 was dead-on with the altitude chamber altimeter and the Suunto ranged from dead-on to lagging by 50-100 feet in freefall. The Suunto was dead-on at slower rates (under canopy). So this was well within what I would think to be acceptable limits for skydiving.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

Always take the landing zone as zero reference either for a normal jump or for a jump at different elevation with respect to the take off runway elevation.
It's quite simple, when you land at a specific place, you need to see your altimeter indicating zero. Same philosophy for your AAD.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.