eric.fradet

passenger harness adjusted too tight

Looks "interesting"... ;)

was the opening normal or hard? Is it a sigma harness?
Did the passenger feel it, and if so, how did he/she react to it?
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

Eric, very interesting.

Do you think it is only the lateral straps (hips) that were too tight ? And not also a dissymetry between front and back which may cause unusual distortion of the passenger harness ?

what type of harness is this ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

You are saying this is caused by the laterals and not the diagonals being too tight?

This is an Atom passenger harness..
well the diagonals are linked to a hip ring from where the laterals start, the passenger was too tight on both laterals, and on one side more than the other one, on the opening shock, instead to have the load on the top rings, it has been loaded on the lateral straps and transmitted to the diagonals, specially on one of them

how tight were the other straps ?

I would say : probably not tight enough!..in fact it is always difficult to know, since in this kind of situation, the guilty person always try to hide the truth, as the manufacturers usually do (could not help this one)..

how tight were the other straps ?

I would say : probably not tight enough!..in fact it is always difficult to know, since in this kind of situation, the guilty person always try to hide the truth, as the manufacturers usually do (could not help this one)..

This is so true. It is largely due to the manufacturers' policy of crucifying the TM when things go wrong.

I am not an engineer, but I am not seeing how having the hips too tight could load this harness to cause the failure.

Could it be from wear?
Bad batch of thread?
Misuse or mishandling causing accelerated wear?

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I am not an engineer, but I am not seeing how having the hips too tight could load this harness to cause the failure.

By tighten yoo much the lateral straps , you transmit the load through the hip ring to the diagonals, since you reduce the length (distance) the passenger needs to stretch his body inside the harness during opening shock.

the pictures show an Atom Tandem equipment with the correct adjustment. The passenger is loaded by the top fastenings, the lateral webbings are use as a link.
In this regular webbing ajustment configuration, the length in arrow dotted line is shorter than the length in full arrow

the hips of the harness seem SUPER high... is that correct ?
the hips of the harness are high (main lift web too long, the big ring of the 3 rings system should not be as high)but it is not the point, look at pictures 3 showing a passenger standing up on the ground with the length of the full arrow showing the top connections will not afford the load at opening shock which is not correct because the lateral webbings in dotted arrow too tight is too short.
look at picture 4 showing the same configuration under canopy, the passenger is hanging by the lateral webbing in dotted arrow instead the top connections.