Megatron

Voodoo vs. Mirage

Im looking to get a new container (which would be my first)..did some research..and its come down between the following two models for me: The Voodoo & the Mirage G4.

I just wanted to take a poll from the community and get your take on why you would choose one over the other. Please note that I intend to use the container in the following way:

1) freeflying & speed skydiving
2) wingsuiting (once I have enough jumps ~80 to go)
3) coach jumps (I intend to get a coach rating within the year)

Obviously safety is my number one concern..but comfort is a close second and a small rig isnt too far behind.

Ill be jumping a Saber 2-190 with it and soon downsize to a 170 but no smaller.

I appreciate your input.

both rigs are TSO'd to the same standard.
The Best way to find out what the better rig is for you, is to try them on see what fits YOUR body shape best.
See which of those 2 you prefer the look of.
From a safety aspect both of the rigs will do just fine. it really comes down to your preference.
Coke or Pepsi????
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Don't forget the Skyhook your life may depend on it!!:S

There are many skydivers who have no desire to use a MARD system. I'm one of them.
Personally, not a fan of the Vector. Voodoo costs a little more, so does a Ferrari. It's comfortable, and for wingsuiting, IMO it's the best rig manufactured today, and I jumped a lot of em' before coming to that conclusion. Nearly 100 jumps on my new Voodoo, can't say enough good about it.

There are many skydivers that don't want to use aad's either.

This is someone just starting and AAD's and Skyhook save lives there is no way to argue that.

Can't say anything bad about the Voodoo looks like a nice rig but I am a big fan of proven safety devices! Especially for beginning jumpers.
ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!

There are many skydivers that don't want to use aad's either.

This is someone just starting and AAD's and Skyhook save lives there is no way to argue that.

Can't say anything bad about the Voodoo looks like a nice rig but I am a big fan of proven safety devices! Especially for beginning jumpers.

Beginning jumpers may not be aware that for every safety device you add to the mix, you also add a potential detriment. Your feet, helmet, fingers are entangled in your main lines. You cut away...what happens next if you have a MARD?
IMO, beginning jumpers buying brand new gear aren't thinking very clearly anyway. ;)

[IMO, beginning jumpers buying brand new gear aren't thinking very clearly anyway. ]

Agreed

[Your feet, helmet, fingers are entangled in your main lines. You cut away...what happens next if you have a MARD? ]

You try to clear the entanglement as usual, the MARD wont do anything until the main leaves at least the distance of the attachment to the reserve bridle. If you cannot clear at your hard deck pull silver you'll get what you get with or without a MARD

Lets hope none of us need it but there are certain times that without these systems we will die. Yes they may cause complications in a given situation but They will assist more often than not.
ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!

You try to clear the entanglement as usual, the MARD wont do anything until the main leaves at least the distance of the attachment to the reserve bridle. If you cannot clear at your hard deck pull silver you'll get what you get with or without a MARD

One hopes so, anyway...I don't disagree that these devices have the potential to save lives. They also serve as a false sense of security, and are an added layer of responsibility. I'm not arguing against any safety device, but rather questioning the making of choices predominantly based on these devices. MARDs can save lives. They also add a layer of complexity. AADs can save lives, but they've been proven to take them, too. I personally choose to jump with an AAD and without a MARD. YMMV.
I chose the Voodoo because after a large number of wingsuit jumps on a wide variety of containers (including an offered sponsorship), I chose the Voodoo because of comfortable fit, the way the air flies across my back, the nearly non-existent corners (that feel great in a non-wingsuit jump too), customer service (I have yet to see any company offer the customer support that Rigging Innovations does outside of L&B) and most importantly...it makes my ass look good.:P

Hi Squeak,

both rigs are TSO'd to the same standard.

Nope, the Voodoo is TSO C23c Category B & the Mirage is TSO C23b Low Speed Category.

:o

JerryBaumchen

Thanks for that Jerry, i wasn't aware of the distinction
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

When I downsized went from a Voodoo to a Mirage G4.
I like both rigs. The mirage has better tuck flaps and a good flap to stop the hacky coming out accidently.
But the Voodoo has more secure toggle keepers. I blew a break on my mirage a few times pulling the slider down over the toggles until I learned to be more careful. The Voodoo toggles were rock solid but still perfectly easy to get out when you want them.
I've found the Mirage to be a bit more fiddly when packing. The voodoo was nice and simple, but with all the extra little tabs and things on the mirage it slowed my packing down a little.
I had a Sabre 170 in a V4 Voodoo and that made it look pregnant. So not sure how you'll go with a 190 in it.
For the first few months I was missing my voodoo, but now I am use to my mirage I am quite fond of it.
I think you'll be happy with either.

why? Magnets aren't trouble-free either. I take one look at the Sigma's on our DZ and am grateful I didn't go that route. I also appreciate my TonySuit wingsuit for not having magnets, as I've seen what happens to those that do.

why? Magnets aren't trouble-free either. I take one look at the Sigma's on our DZ and am grateful I didn't go that route. I also appreciate my TonySuit wingsuit for not having magnets, as I've seen what happens to those that do.

What? Why? Elaborate please on all parts of your comments.

Magnets attract metal filings, objects, grit. Metal filings, objects, and grit on fabric rubs the fabric raw and can age the fabric prematurely.
Personally, I prefer how the tucktabs work, but can understand that some DZs are spotless, no metal around, no material in the packing carpet that will be picked up by the magnet.

Magnets attract metal filings, objects, grit. Metal filings, objects, and grit on fabric rubs the fabric raw and can age the fabric prematurely.
Personally, I prefer how the tucktabs work, but can understand that some DZs are spotless, no metal around, no material in the packing carpet that will be picked up by the magnet.

where are you packing - a sandbox? Here is what Bill Booth has to say. The underlying problem being - tuck tab riser covers can cause bad openings...

"Magnetic riser covers are the only way to go. They answer all the problems that are inherent in tuck-tab covers. In a few years, I predict, tuck-tab riser covers won't even be made anymore. If you can't get magnetics, choose velcro"

as far as I know available on Vector and Racer currently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSVRSIicQDk

You do know that DSE shot that video, right? If so, good reference. If not, thats really funny.

But I also wonder if other DZs are having trouble with magnetic riser covers picking up metal filings. We have a couple sigmas with magnetic riser covers and as far as I know, we haven't had any problems. If you're packing on metal filings, maybe you have bigger problems than riser covers?

Dave