SkiD_PL8

Surge Protector

My computer at home got fried last week and was hooked up through a belkin surge protector. Has anyone here ever received a warranty from them for connected equipment? I just talked to a lady on the phone and from what she said it will be no problem to get my computer replaced. If you have had any experience with this please let me know how it worked out.

Greenie in training.

Yeah, I am worried they are going to try to say the surge came in through my cable modem and not through the surge protector. My cable modem still works though so I am pretty sure it came in through the surge protector.

Greenie in training.

One wonders if the surge protector was on a bus that was wired / grounded correctly.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Well if it still works I'd say your most likely safe. There is a slim chance that it went through and didn't do damage to the cable modem but I've never really seen that happening (yet). Every piece of electronic equipment I have doesn't get to anything on the outside world before it goes through some type of surge protection though.

edit: mh - Good point.

perhaps,. perhaps not.

No surge protector (no matter how much money you pay) can withstand a lighning blast (to the line) - the hardware is simply not quick enough. companies jsut say that to get you to buy it, and the few people that actually have their lines hit directly usually don't take them up on warrenty - and the ones that do dont' come close to offsetting their profit anyway.

perhaps,. perhaps not.

No surge protector (no matter how much money you pay) can withstand a lighning blast (to the line)

True, though I had one that tried. My wiring took a hit where the house connection box is and the voltage was so high, it literally burnt the phone wire out of the walls and caused the surge protector to exploded.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

A lot of people don't realize that their surge protectors may already be worthless. Most of them are not resettable, and if it's already taken a hit, all you're left with is an extension cord.

If you have the option to test yours (test button), do so. Some of you might be surprised.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

A lot of people don't realize that their surge protectors may already be worthless. Most of them are not resettable, and if it's already taken a hit, all you're left with is an extension cord.

If you have the option to test yours (test button), do so. Some of you might be surprised.

Very, very true.

In addition, an expensive lesson I learned a couple of years ago. A surge protector protects from spikes in electricity. It does -not- protect from power outages. You need a battery back-up for that.

I know have a combo battery back-up/surge protector on my expensive equipment. Costs more, but it saves alot more, too!

And make sure the wattage protection is high enough for what you have plugged into it. Not a cheapy one.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Very, very true.

In addition, an expensive lesson I learned a couple of years ago. A surge protector protects from spikes in electricity. It does -not- protect from power outages. You need a battery back-up for that.

lol

I know have a combo battery back-up/surge protector on my expensive equipment. Costs more, but it saves alot more, too!

ltdiver

Just remember you have to replace those every couple of years at the very least - they start to lose their effectivness ;)