ltdiver

New Record! Mach 9.6!!

Sorry, I more or less wanted a reason to point out that the govt spent 230 million dollars to build a plane that was subsiquentely crashed into the ocean.
:S:D

True but the 10 seconds of data they got is practically invaluable for hypersonic research. It's basically the first bit of cohesive data that we have to work with. Something that will guide theory and simulation in future research.

And to another comment, that isn't the end of research into scramjets and such. It may be the end of the program, but I know for a fact that there are professors here at least that focus their research on hypersonic aerodynamics. It's almost a given that there are others and that NASA will push to continue the research.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
~Leonardo da Vinci~

You know the article referenced the SR-71 and its published top speed. Am I the only one that believes it went significantly faster then its published top speed?

I saw a presentation about the SR-71 this semester during an AIAA meeting by some guys from Lockheed Martin's Skunkworks. They showed us the flight envelope for it with a projected top speed of Mach 3.5. They also showed all their flight testing and such plotted out in the flight envelope, including those when the pilots were pushing the limits. If I remember correctly they got it up to around Mach 3.7, I think.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
~Leonardo da Vinci~

>I more or less wanted a reason to point out that the govt spent 230
> million dollars to build a plane that was subsiquentely crashed into
> the ocean.

Each Apollo spacecraft launch cost $400 million. They all just crashed into the ocean, burned up, or were left behind. About all we got back physically were the people and some rocks. Still worth it I think.

>I more or less wanted a reason to point out that the govt spent 230
> million dollars to build a plane that was subsiquentely crashed into
> the ocean.

Each Apollo spacecraft launch cost $400 million. They all just crashed into the ocean, burned up, or were left behind. About all we got back physically were the people and some rocks. Still worth it I think.

I fully agree!

I can see this as the technology that will be used for the next moon missions as well as stepping our selves up to have manned visits to other locations in our little corner of space.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

To be honest.........there's really not that much to see out there.

Sure, above ground that is if you believe all that is said and written about that place.

*shrug*

Who knows, I'm sure some folks do, but most don't.B|

Aggie Dave- Here is why you don't see secret stuff above ground
nuclear tunneling machine It is patented and all, meaning they had to have a working model....and they have had this thing for over 30 years...
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Cool read.

I love reading "conspiracy" stuff like that, not that I believe every word in print about that sort of thing, but its a fun excersize in "what if." The fun part is for many of the claims even if you don't believe in the claims, you could see how you wouldn't be surprised if they were actually proven true.

After 10 seconds of scramjet-powered flight, the X-43A became a glider and made a controlled glide to a splashdown in the ocean about 800 miles offshore. It will not be recovered.

I'm not a huge tree-hugger or anything, but it sort of bothers me that they just dump the plane in the ocean.

It was a pretty small aircraft (~12ft long) and wasn't carrying much fuel, most of which was used on the flight.

It'll probably end up making a nice artificial reef somewhere. :)

About all we got back physically were the people and some rocks. Still worth it I think.

well...FUCK YEAH!!

:D

HAHA This coming from the rock geological scientist. :ph34r:

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

I got two patents without working models.

Take a page from EasyRider magazine, you don't need actual working models, just random chicks to take their tops off and take pictures with your patents.:D