mailin

Volkswagen Owners (esp. Jetta's)

Looking for opinions of people that own VWs. I'm looking to ditch the piece of crap KIA at the end of the summer and am looking pretty seriously at the VW Jetta.

Your overall opinion of your VW?

Have you had any problems with your VW?

Your overall impression of VW as a company?

Your overall opinion of cost of upkeep on your VW?

Would you buy another VW?

Thanks! ;)

Jen
Arianna Frances

Mazda 3 is the way to go. Just as much fun, less money and cheaper maintinence.

Just ask eeneR we both own Hatchbacks. I love mine it so much fun to drive.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Mazda 3 is the way to go. Just as much fun, less money and cheaper maintinence.

Just ask eeneR we both own Hatchbacks. I love mine it so much fun to drive.

Ya know im with ya 100% on this Slappie...

So far the mazda 3 totally rocks. I find my self just getting the car and driving around all over the place...with no where really to go...just driving :D Ok i guess I should be honest, I keep taking the damn thing on the highway to ride the on and off ramps...and passing people while im doing 60..punching it...and getting my head smacked into the head rest from the damn thing downshifting and taking off :D and that is the automatic tranny! :oB|

A very good point however, the Maint on a VW is HIGH. A friend of mine has a VW, she loves the car, but shit gets expensive when it breaks.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Thanks for that info. I'm a sucker for manual transmission - less stuff to break ;)

As far as the mazda guys - no can do. My uncles set on fire in his driveway... and he got totally screwed by Mazda when he tried to get them to repair it (it had 13,000 miles on it). My best friend Karen has one, and loves it though.

Jen
Arianna Frances

I've owned 3 VW's (2 Jetta's) and 2 Porsches

I WILL NEVER BUY A JAPANESE CAR (just my opinion) I love german cars. Mechanically they are strong and relatively simple to fix yourself. Great gas mileage. The new ones A4 body type (not the brand brand new ones) are great. They last forever. Get a manual transmission though. If you have the money, I'd go Audi. PM me if you want more specific info.

I've got a Beetle and I love it. Its 6 years old now and I haven't had any major problems with it.

The upkeep costs aren't bad. They only require oil changes every 10,000 miles. I've had front and rear brakes done- my expense, and I had to replace the battery. That and routine service. So, its a bigger bill less often, but I'm not shelling out money every 3 months for an oil change!

I did need to bring it in and pay a mechanic to replace a headlight/ lamp. The way the car is designed, its just too hard for a non-mechanic to get at! (the may be true of a lot of newer cars, though!)

Oh, and the VW medallion on the hood of the car was stolen twice before I bought my house and started parking it in a garage!

add korean cars to that list too :D

I'm leaning toward the Jetta but the acura a4 is on the list too - slowly creeping toward the bottom though, considering we live in the city and park on the street...

Thanks for the info!

Jen
Arianna Frances

but the acura a4 is on the list too

Is that a new model? ;)

Stumped me too... TSX or RSX are nice Acruras so is the TL. I'm still wanting an NSX those things are just sexy!

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

That sounds right. My first 2 or 3 trips for service (oil change, etc.) were covered. And the power train is under warranty for 100,000 miles. I've had some issues with the dealer where I bought the car, but that was the dealership, not the car. (And they don't just sell VWs!)

I had a Saturn before my bug and as much as I'd LIKE to talk them up, I really can't. I had a lot of problems with that car. I can blame some of it on hard miles that my job forced me to put on it, but that doesn't account for all of it. I don't think I would buy another Saturn, but I'd buy another VW. (or an Audi- aren't they made by the same company?)

but the acura a4 is on the list too

Is that a new model? ;)

Stumped me too... TSX or RSX are nice Acruras so is the TL. I'm still wanting an NSX those things are just sexy!

I'm sure she meant Audi A4, but that's ok, at least she isn't asking about a Neon. :S:D
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I owned a Mazda 929 and the transmission went out at 48K miles. It was my wife's car and she took care of it. A week after I had a new transmission installed, the tranny blew up on the tollway! Don't think I will ever buy another one.

Have a VW Passat now with about 85K miles. Only major problem was a transmission fluid leak into the radiator. After Trent fixed it the car has been fine.

Blue skies,

Jim

I bought a 2005 Jetta TDI diesel (A4 old body style, not new 2005 A5 redesigned body style) the dealer won't come down on price for diesel now fuel is high. I get about 41 mpg combinded city / highway driving and I drive 80 mph on highway.

hood wouldn't open.

VW customer service still sucks.

The VW Jetta and Passat TDI only need oil change at 5000 & 10,000 miles and then every 10,000 miles after that. need buy synetic oil with VW code 505.013 (something like that) on it. the VW TDI need no tune ups, just fuel filter change every 20,000 miles and oil change at every 10,000 (after 1st 5000 miles) and timing belt change at 80,000 miles. the VW TDI diesel motors should last 400,000 miles or more easy. They have lot of low end torque (power!) they are fast for a little diesel. winter time the glow plug preheat motor in less than 2 seconds.. starts right up.

only a deisel.

I love em, I would never own another make. My past 6 or 7 have been VW's/Audi, from aircooled to Audi TT engined '89 Scirocco. Awesome machines.;)

Yes, but they were mainly self induced, I'm mechanically insensitive.:$

Not as good as they used to be, but seemingly better here in Europe than in the states. Parts are easy to come buy and relatively cheap as they are shared by Audi/SEAT/Skoda.

Mine's unique, but a standard Golf/Jetta would be reasonable.

Have you been listening at all??

Buy a Golf PD TDI 180Bhp and 55mpg, which is a diesel and VW are known for making the best current diesel engines available. (Also I prefer hatchbacks to boots/trunks.)
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

at least she isn't asking about a Neon.

That was my choice up until the new job. New job, new money - I can finally get the nice car in the family :D

I can't talk, really. I have a 95 Stratus (Neon on a bigger scale), but it's paid for, insures cheap (10 years old), and still gets 35+ mpg on the highway. Not bad for a car w/140,000 miles, 30k of which I put on in the last 15 months. :)
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

why? I don't like gasoline motors. I love the diesel TDI
I can't drive it slow on highway it'll run 100 mph EASY I usually drive it at 80 mph on highways. if I'd slow down on highways to 55 / 60 mph @ 1,800 ~ 2000 rpm's I'd get about 52 mpg! screw that 80 mph at 2,500 rpm's and still 41 mpg. Good enough for me.

you won't know your driving a diesel. it runs just like a gasoline motor. but it has lot more low end torque ( Power) basiclly all you have to do it to is oil change every 10,000 miles fuel filter replacement every 20,000 miles (its size of Fosters beer can, just screws on / off) I bought a reuseable K&N airfilter which only needs be cleaned every 50,000 miles, but haven't installed it as my Jetta only has 12,000 miles on it. when orginal paper airfilter is dirty I'll put the K&N filter on. I have a 5 speed manual transmission. the VW TDI diesel motors should last you 400,000 miles easy if you change the oil & fuel filter.
I used to own a 1979 VW rabbit diesel. it had 320,000 miles when injection pump went out. the new VW diesels are even better than old VW diesel motors.

Go to the VW dealer and test drive on. the jetta TDI are 1.9L turbos diesel the passat TDI are 2.0 L diesels but the passat come only with Automatic. The passat have a lot more Torque / power than the Jetta TDI.The Passat is a bigger car too. I would have bought a Passat except they only come in Automatics . I wanted manual transmission. A Guy I work with bought a 2005 VW Jetta too. He uses it to / from work all highway driving he has 26,000 miles on it already its a automatic. He says he gets 46 mpg on his highway commute to / from work. I drive 75% my driving in town stop & go traffic still get 41 mpg.

Vw diesel up to 2003 are TDI the 2004 and 2005 on Passat and Jetta TDI are "Pump Duse" (PD) the older TDI had one big injection pump feeding all cylinders while new PD TDI's have own pump (for each cylinder get more power and little better mpg.

Sounds attractive ;)

I've never had a car that ran on diesel but there is a diesel gas station just around the corner from the house... I drive 5 minutes to work though. The only highway driving I do on a regular basis is the 1.5 hrs. to the DZ - a route which is littered with speed traps - so I can't let the speed factor be part of my decision. As a matter of fact, I'm looking into a car with cruise just so my lead foot doesn't get me tickets on the weekends :S

THanks for the feedback - I will be test driving all the models for sure B|

Jen
Arianna Frances