Skuzzlebutt

Wondering if anyone has any Unairworthy Canopies???

I finally got to do my first Clear and Pull. A couple more and i'll be starting to learn to pack my own gear. I was wondering if anyone on these boards has an unairworthy canopy that they can part with? I would like to be able to practice my folding away from the drop zone since i'm about an hour and 10 min away from it. It would be great if they still had the lines attached. Thanks in advance. Direct email is [email protected]

I understand you wanting to practice packing when alone but for that I am afraid you have to buy your own parachute or get one lent to you. There should be a person at your DZ who can show you how to pack a student parachute on a rainy day. This is an investment for the DZ to teach people how to pack since you are their future customer.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

You need a complete rig instead of just the main canopy. Spend a day or 2 at the DZ and pack pack pack, you'll get it. Then when you buy your own gear you get to take it home so you can practice packing if you want, if you buy a new and/or a big-for-the-rig canopy you may very well want to :P

ciel bleu,
Saskia

They are going to teach me. Very soon in fact. I just want to get proficient at the folding and stowing of lines at home. If that makes sense. I'm the new guy.

Makes sense to me. You must not be fresh out of school - you WANT homework!:D:D

Have you tried your homeDZ? Mine had a couple old Mantas sitting around when I first started - ragged out, one with a blown cell, that sort of thing.
You might also ask your local rigger.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

The problem with letting someone have an Unairworthy canopy, is that it could suddenly become Airworthy!! and the original owner wouldn't like that much, if anyone got them selves hurt on their old gear.

I have cut the lines off my old canopy (gave it to a kids play group).

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I'm 100% all about safety. If someone tells me its no good then I will listen to that. There is a guy who just emailed me and is willing to send one off. Thanks by the way im not sure what his user name is on here. Its a PD170 and I currently fly a PD300. Even if it was "airworthy" i couldnt use it anyways. He said he will pull the label off too so it would be no good in that fashion as well.

I should let you try packing mine. Only has 1 jump on it. By the time you get good at packing that thing you can pack anything.:D

I started off packing a new PIlot 210 in a 190- Icon at Eloy in mid May. THAT was hard! =D

BUt hey..I never have issues packing ANY canopy now, and that's quite cool! :)
That's why I recommend it to newbies, but it's not something you HAVE to do. Good luck with the packing!
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no