rhino

2005 Jetta TDI, Got 48.9mpg driving to work this morning.

First tank of gas = 485 miles and I had 2 gallons left. 14 gallon tank. 40.1 average for the tank and I drove the car pretty hard.

My average mpg driving to work this morning was 48.9mpg.

Unfreakin believable!!! I love this car!

Rhino

I know.. I know I drive mine all day long at 75~80 mph.. sometimes faster on highway, that little 1.9L 4 cylinder turbo diesel feels like a big reving V-6 and I consently get 41 mpg and I drive it hard.

Jen if you buy a TDI besure to get the cold weather package (heated seats) as the TDI's do NOT warm up by letting them Idle in cold winter you have to drive them right off.. but they'll start putting out heat with in 3 miles... till then those heated seats are great.

scheduled oil changes every 10,000 miles. (exept the 1st two which are 5000 miles each) fuel filter every 20,000 miles. (easy to replace) it never needs a tune up. engine will last 400,000 miles easy.. in fact it takes around 60,000 to 80,000 miles for the piston rings to just break in (compression gets tighter / higher) I prefer the TDI 5 speed get better fuel mileage than the automatics. you need to use oil that meets VW 505.01 standard for the very high pressure fuel injectors, and thats not easy to find except at VW dealer and few other places, so carry and extra qt or two with you.

the torque on the Jetta TDI is 177 foot pounds at 1,800 rpm and 287 foot pounds in the Passat. It'll really make these little cars move quick!

down side with fuel prices high... dealers are asking top dollar now. I see Used Jetta TDI on ebay with 80,000 miles or more going for 15,000!! ( I only paid 19K for my 2005 10 months ago)

Is that the 4-door? Gas or diesel?

I'm leaning toward a Jetta myself.....B|

all VW jetta & passat's are 4 doors, Rhino & my Jetta TDI are diesels TDI = Turbo Direct Injection if Jetta or Passat doesn't say "TDI" on back trunk lid its NOT a diesel

You're making my car decision easier and easier... ;)

What features did it come with?

Mine came with good Michlen tires good for 60,000 miles leather heated seats, power heated mirrors, power windows & locks, power sunroof, A/C Moonsoon radio / amp and 6 CD changer ( WOW like I need that I'm deaf)

my 2005 Jetta is A4 body style ( looks same as the 1999 to 2004 Jetta's) the new "redesigned" 2005 Jetta's that came out in March 2005 are A5 body style and they come with power seats and bunch of other nice features not on A4 body styles.

Jen
Im that link.. it compares the Toyota with the 2005 inline five cylinder gasoline engine (yea 2.5 Liter 5 cylinder) the toyota is a 4 cylinder. the VW TDI diesel is a 1.9 liter 4 cylinder.

the 2.5 Liter 5 cylinder gasoline engine makes 170 ft-lbs. @ 3750 rpm / 150 horsepower the 1.9Liter TDI Diesel makes 177 ft-lbs at 1,800 rpm / 100 horsepower. I'll take the little diesel over the bigger gas engine any day!

tourque (ft pounds) is what makes the car move...

It came pretty loaded. The only thing I didn't get was the sunroof (they leak) and the alloy wheels (they are heavier).

Dual climate control, dual heated seats, all kinds of features.. Basically loaded. 6 disk cd changer (doesn't matter to me).. Auto tinting rear view mirror for night driving.

Why?

Cause my husband will kill me otherwise :o:D

We're saving up to buy that $250,000 starter home :| and after a year of no car payements (my piece of junk car (a KIA) is paid off) getting a new car will cut into the savings.

I've never paid more than $10k for a car before, this is a HUGE step. I have very little available to put down on a new car.

Jen
Arianna Frances

I've never paid more than $10k for a car before, this is a HUGE step. I have very little available to put down on a new car.

I hear you.. Gas prices will be at $3 soon. Then shortly after probably up to $5 in the next 2 years. I considered that. If you can't afford to get to work you are screwed.. :S

I hear you.. Gas prices will be at $3 soon. Then shortly after probably up to $5 in the next 2 years. I considered that. If you can't afford to get to work you are screwed.. :S

I beilive that will happen, we'll have double fuel prices in 2 or 3 years. I once ran out of fuel on a date with my 1979 VW rabbit Diesel. I knew area there were NO diesel stations around to buy fuel, but there was a liquor store across the street. I bought about 45 bucks worth of cheap wiskey...(gallon or so) poured that in tank. opened the injectorswith 17 mm wrench till wishkey came out (got air out lines) closed the injectors and it started right up.. my date kept hoping the VW wouldn't get a DWI..

the diesel will run on anything that burns (hydrocarbons) corn oil, etc biodiesel (made from waste grease) #2 heating fuel Jet A etc. it doesn't care..

> TDI's do NOT warm up by letting them Idle in cold winter you have to drive them right off.<

I'll give you a little tip, When starting a TDI or TI ALWAYSlet it idle for at least a minute
before driving off, An when shutting the car down let it idle for awhile too,

The turbo will last much longer

Gone fishing

I knew that.. turbo need oil to cool it.. I meant if you start it a let it idle on cold mornin winter morning.. like lot of people do.. the TDI will stll be COLD it just does not warm up like gasoline cars do at idle..

You shouldn't low idle a diesel for extended periods, anyway....you can get fuel leaking past the rings into the crankcase.

A diesel *WILL* get warm at a high idle (~1200 rpm).

Agree with taking a couple minutes to warm-up / cool down the turbo...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Test drove the value edition - didn't like the clutch one bit but its cause I'm used to the clutch on a car with 100,000 miles :D Overall, not entirely impressed. [:/]

Our sales guy was a dick so I didn't get to try the TDI, but I'll be going to another dealer anyway and test drive it there.

Jen
Arianna Frances