UliToo

Arching

Hope it's the right board to post this on.

I hear that arching is real important. What to do if your back isn't very flexible and ya can't arch well? In the video I look like I'm about to pounce; no curved back at all. Will that be a problem once I jump on my own?

I hear that arching is real important. What to do if your back isn't very flexible and ya can't arch well? In the video I look like I'm about to pounce; no curved back at all. Will that be a problem once I jump on my own?

Did you demonstrate an arch before you actually jumped?
Owned by Remi #?

Relax.

At terminal velocity you have your entire body weight plus 20-30 pounds of gear bending you. It's like laying on a Pilates ball backwards with jogging weights on your ankles and dumbells in your hands. You don't really have to do anything to arch.

You just can't be tense. If that happens your friends will all fall faster, and you won't get to join in the party. You might potato chip too.

Unless you get all tense and stiff like a board in which case you'll fall too slow to keep up with your friends who are relaxed and enjoying themselves.

Although the post above is a good one there are some people who cant arch on the ground, and may not arch in the air either.

Do a search on here for 'how to arch' or simila r as there have been some good threads on how to practise and get more flexible.

A pouncing position will mean you are very unstable if your instructors decide to let go, so practice lots on the ground at home and you will get there for sure ;)

No, I was never asked to demonstrate an arch, probably cause a tandem is really no work. Do they usually make you demonstrate one?

What is 'potato chip'?? Not planning on jumping with friends for a while yet.....first things first.:)

Guess I'll be googling this, and maybe do some stretches to help.

I didnt realise you were talking about a tandem....

you should be talking to your potential instructors about a matter such as this,

but these two threads (among others) have some great info in about getting more flexible to arch...

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=3212685;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=261846;search_string=cant%20arch;#261846

The tandem harnesses sometimes don't help your arch out at all. In fact the harness can make you fly knees low and with no arch if things were made too tight.

Don't worry about it and voice your concerns to your instructors. At this point in the game blow off literally everything you read about skydiving on the internet and just talk to your instructors.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Thanks, all! Those 2 links posted are very helpful and I have them bookmarked.

Although I'm German, I don't like beer, never did, so the belly won't be there.;) I know you were kidding anyway.

So the more you arch, the faster you drop? Another question along the same line.......do heavier people drop faster? I'm 115 pounds....does that make a difference?

Dammit, never did get that second tandem in; they're all booked up and closing tomorrow.:|

Yes heavier people fall faster if all things are equal. Heavier people usually wear loser jumpsuits and flatten out alittle(get big) to slow down some. Skinny people wear skin tight suits get really small (extremities in closer to body) and sometimes wear weighted vests to increase fall rate. The idea is for the little people to fall faster the big people to fall slower and the average people to fall normally so everyone meets in the middle and can match the fall rate. As far as arching goes use a swiss ball or a big stack of pillows on the floor. Lay on them back down and relax. this streching will over a short period af time will increase you flexibility. I would start with 15 minutes a day you will notice a differance and it will help your posture also. This is best to do after a couple sets of sit-ups and cruntches so that that antogonist muscles ( the rectus abdominals and psoas) are warmed and ready to be streched. Hope this makes sense and helps.
ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!