hcsvader

helmets

Hey all
So I am starting to gear up and one of the things I am having the most diffuculty with is find a helmet. I went to a local bike shop today to check out helmets and all of the ones i looked at were the kind that do not have a hard ear flap. Therefor they have no place to install a ditter. Can anyone recommend a helmet that actually offer some kind of impact protection (unlike most skydiving helmets) that would offer decent protection from impact as well as be able to support the installation of an audible alti?
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

I don't have a pic handy.
I bought it to use on tandems mostly.
I like it, it's mostly a stylish Protec - same level of protection it seems, cool style, places on both sides for an audible, cheap price.
I'm sure if you ask Skysystems nicely, Amy might model one for you....;)

Besides I would rather ensure the safety of my nogin than sacrifice safety and money to look cool.

+1

Helmets have definatly helped decrease the amount of brain damage i have given myself over the years. If I have a cheaper helmet I'm more likely to use it on other occasions where i wouldn't want to mess up a $300 skydiving helmet.

I think everyone knows I have more use for a helmet after the beer light comes on!!! Just wish i had a fullface mountain bike helmet on at PST this summer. maybe I wouldn't have wrecked my face while playing beer bunjeeB|
Have you seen my pants?

If you want to make a good investment, have a look at Bonehead helmets. They are compatible for any beeper installation, made of carbon fiber and therefore very shock resistant while being quite light.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I still think they look retarded, and seem to only come in gay colors.:P
Ever look at the Benny?
Same level of protection, good n cheap too.

And I have to disagree with the Bonehead comments.
The exterior shell of a helmet isn't where the real protection is. I like the Boneheads a lot though.
But we're talking about protection here.

I still think they look retarded, and seem to only come in gay colors.:P
Ever look at the Benny?
Same level of protection, good n cheap too.

And I have to disagree with the Bonehead comments.
The exterior shell of a helmet isn't where the real protection is. I like the Boneheads a lot though.
But we're talking about protection here.

Agreed - outside of the Protecs, none of the skydiving helmets offer any real impact protection - there's simply not enough padding.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Not to dismiss the value of UL testing for most products....but their endorsement of a helmet would mean very little to me. CPSC is of more value I believe.
I'd prefer to see true head protection testing certifications if we're seriously looking for that in our helmets.
Also given that Pro-Tec helmets are designed for skateboarding, I've never been convinced of their value either - although I do recognize they offer more protection that most of our options.

I'd prefer to see true head protection testing certifications if we're seriously looking for that in our helmets.

Yes. Im seriously looking for true head protection!!!
I dont care in least if it looks retareded. One might end up looking a whole lot more retarded when they smash thier brain while wearing an insuffienceint helmet. Then they can spend the rest of thier life wearing a protect everytime they try to walk somewhere. just ask special ed!http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/reviews/190/1196650931_1.jpg

Also given that Pro-Tec helmets are designed for skateboarding, I've never been convinced of their value either

I dont see how that make any difference at all. Slamming on a skateboard, or slamming on a landing are both scenarios where severe head injuries are possible.

I have slammed my head very severly while skateboarding and walked away knowing the outcome would have been very different if I wasn't wearing a protect. Can you say the same about a benny?

As said in my origional post I am looking for a helmet that offers the best protection against impact. Not what is going to make me look cool.
Have you seen my pants?

Skydiving is a bit faster than skateboarding.

Protec is the only helmet to my knowledge with any sort of "rating" although CPSC is not an organization that would in my mind be much use in rating helmets.
The Benny is damn near the EXACT design and type of protection as the Protec. Pretty close on price.
Your choice. Pink is available on the Protecs.
Neither will protect the hairdo in your avatar though.
;)

http://www.pro-tec.net/skate/main.html

Fuck yeah! That pink is hot! It would go great with my purple jumpsuit!

Know any canadian dealers for the benny? wouldn't mind checkin it out.

Actualy when you look at protects website the skate helmets are not certified for anything specific and are only recommended for use when skateboarding. The bike hemets are rated to a standard bike helmet rating...
Have you seen my pants?

I like your attitude.
Years ago with a broken hand, when fiberglass casts first came out I had my choice of pink, blue, or camo.
PINK BITCH!!!!
The Dr. couldn't stop laughing the whole time he wrapped it up.
Biker tats and a pink cast!
:P

You can order direct from http://www.skysystemsusa.com/helmets/benny.php]Skysystems
only way I know - good customer service too.

Funny....I don't usually wear a helmet.
:o

... - outside of the Protecs, none of the skydiving helmets offer any real impact protection - there's simply not enough padding.

What if you install an after-market padding kit from Oregon Aero?
Kits are available for Pro-Tecs and one popular full-face skydiving helmet.