leapdog

intentional cutaways

is there a chest mount container that takes a square in existence? I'm looking to have it as a first main for intensional cutaways.

I know there are rigs out there that are built for this, I'm hoping someone will indulge me.

Thanks

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

Is there...

This is a pretty unhelpful way to phrase a thread title. Titles should sufficiently identify the subject matter so that people don't need to open the thread to know what it's about. You might want to use the Edit feature to edit your title; you'll probably get more people to read and respond if you do.

Strong Enterprises has a Tridom container but all three are on the back, you might be able to borrow it. Sun Path has a chest mount, I think it is square, heck I wore it once but now I cant remember. I doubt Sun Path would send that out though.
UPT has one for their SkyHook demo rig, but again I doubt they will cut loose of the belly mount.

I know Strong does rent the Tridom rig occasionally. Just dont do what Ted did once and cutaway the packed 2nd main by accident when trying to release the cutaway main.

Good luck and be safe

Honestly you might just have to sit down at a sewing machine and build your self one. I've done a couple of things like that for my self. I even installed another set of rings on my harness, paper work through the FSDO. You can attach it with the chest strap and a couple of clips at the laterals. If you use a rig with large rings you can put two mini's side by side. You can build little cut away handles from two short cables running up the risors and velcro tape handles that reverse and velcro up the risors like a little toggle.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Is there...

This is a pretty unhelpful way to phrase a thread title. Titles should sufficiently identify the subject matter so that people don't need to open the thread to know what it's about. You might want to use the Edit feature to edit your title; you'll probably get more people to read and respond if you do.

If only everone could please you:S:S. Maybe you should just stop reading the forums>:(
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Chest mounts containing square canopies are really rare.
When Para-Flite introduced square reserves, chest mounts were already falling out of fashion. Para-Flite banned squares in chest mounts out of fear that one snap would accidentally disconnect from the harness. Even with a cross-connector, you would still have a nasty spin!
Since than only a handful of chest-mounts have been built for squares and they are usually restricted to factory test-jumpers who are too young to have jumped round mains.

I have only jumped one (chest-mounted square reserve), and it was built by a Calfornia company that closed its doors years ago.

I did an intentional cutaway two weeks ago with a square tertiary chest mount reserve (both reserves were PD 143s). I did it to demo the Skyhook system and the rig was a Vector 3. The regular reserve was on mini risers with a 3 ring cutaway and the 2nd was a chest mount. You could probably get in touch with Vector and see if they would make you one.

The CONTAINOR on the chest strap. The mini risers can be hooked side by side on a large harness ring. There is never any load on the chest strap.

It can be hard to articulate these things, but frankly if you can't keep up with this conversation please don't try any of this. The truth is that intentional cut aways have a rather high fatality rate. Even really sharp people have been known to f@#k this up. You need to be a little sharper then the adverage bear to play these games. And just keep in mind that better jumpers then you have died doing it.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]

The CONTAINOR on the chest strap. The mini risers can be hooked side by side on a large harness ring. There is never any load on the chest strap.

It can be hard to articulate these things, but frankly if you can't keep up with this conversation please don't try any of this. The truth is that intentional cut aways have a rather high fatality rate. Even really sharp people have been known to f@#k this up. You need to be a little sharper then the average bear to play these games. And just keep in mind that better jumpers then you have died doing it.

Lee

Exactly Lee...and thanks for making my point. B|;)

There's a lot more to it than can be 'practically' explained in a forum like this.

BTW~ my harness was designed and factory manufactured specifically for loads on the MLW and uses detachable D rings with rear attachment rings that tuck into pockets behind the main pack tray.

I've personally seen 'jury rigged' harness rings that caused damage to both webbing and stitching.

A Master Rigger (I take it you are one) should be consulted before attempting any modifications to the harness.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I don't want to change the subject of the conversation, but just to clarify his statement before people go bugging their local rigger. A master rigger can not just make an alteration to a harness. It has to be an "Aproved" alteration by the manufactor. That means that the manufaturer has to send him writen instructions on how to do it and must grant him permission in writeing. Ask a rigger to show you an example of a service bulleton some time.

The other route is that he may submit drawings and spec's to the local FSDO, that's the FAA, and they may grant him permission to proform the alteration. They'll sign and date stamp it and there is a bit of paperwork that must be maintained but it can be done. We were lucky enough to have a guy around here named Bland and one of the good things about him is he would work with you on things like this. Alot of people will not.

The reason I described that system is that you can build it so that no modifacation is needed to the harness. and running the minis side by side can be a simple solution. I think it's better then some of the risor on risor set ups I've seen. And haveing the cutaways on the risors moves them far away from the other handles. Very diffrent motion. I think that's better then haveing a single point that can be confused with one of the other handles.

And just for the record I'm a lowly Senior Rigger. At the time I was working for Stanford building rigs for him and he was kind enough to sign off on the paper work for my rig so tecnicly the work was all done in his name. My back ground is a little odd. I'm kind of topheavy with sewing experence. I worked for Stanford for a while and I design and build a lot of base rigs and other scary shit, recovery systems etc.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]