Sandro29

Xaos vs. Velocity or Katana

Hello everyone,

I'd like to get some feed back on canopies. I'll be looking to demo a Xaos, a Katana and a Velo this Xmas, and I was wondering what anyone has to say about them....good or bad or technical.

At the moment I'm flying a Vengence 107 with a wing loading of 1.7 to 1.8. I've been flying it for 2 years now and am very confortable under it. Openings are quick but not hard, and they are almost ALWAYS on heading. I've learned to steer the openings with rises and that works very well for me. Swoops are steady between 200-300+' on low or no wind days, and based on air traffic, I've been doing 180-270's with a slow progressive turn that builds up speed quite nicely as opposed to an aggressive dive. Upwind, downwind, crosswind landings are all comfortable to me as well as rear riser flares and landings.

I've never tried a cross-braced canopy, but have demo'd the Katana 107 last year and was not terribly impressed.

I'd like to have a little more performance, but noting too radical. I like swooping, but will probably never compete at the Pro level.....maybe with more experience, at the local level eventually.

I have a camera on my head, so opening are somewhat of importance to me. I plan on demoing the canopies mentioned above, but I'd like some input so I can have an idea of what I'll be looking for or trying during the demos.

Thanks everyone for their responses.!

If at first you don't succeed....then Skydiving is not for you!

Why do you want to jump a crossbraced canopy? Because they're "cool?";)

Honestly, until you're loading about 2.0 and higher, you're really going to be spending more money for nothing but a larger pack volume and the "cool" name. Are you looking to downsize during this process or are you just wanting something different?

The Katana is the hottest open 9-cell on the market, in my skewed opinion. The Velo is the hottest swoop monster you can currently buy.

Out of curiosity, what did you not like about the Katana?

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I think you will find the Xaos will 'plane out' on its own like the katana or vengenace.
The Velo really doesn't plane out on its own you have to use rear risers or toggles or it will dive you right to the ground.

I like my Velo for the record but I think if you ever want to freestyle swoop the Xaos or VX might be easier..................I have no idea how the pros freestyle on a Velo......maybe their canopy is different then mine

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the feedback. To be honest I'm not sure I want to jump a X-braced. I've always heard the openings are not so pleasant....and I'm too scared to be cool.:)
I've also heard the X-braced canopies like to be loaded at 1.9 at a minimum, so based on that, I'll most likey be trying something like a 96 or something similiar. So to be more specific, I'm looking for something different..a little quicker, more fun, more swoop-ability....something I can continue to progress on for the next few years....not necessarily smaller, but since the wingloading for crossbraced should be 1.9 -2.0 at a minimum, then most likely go down a size or 2 to just for that reason.

The Katana I tried was alright. It was the same size as what I have now (107), so I wanted to see if there was a big difference between the 2 canopies of the same size. Don't get me wrong, it was fun, but not enough for me to wana go out and buy one....it was just ok.

I read some articles about the Xaos, and most of them say the openings are smooth, but I haven't had the opportunity to talk to any local guys here that have one...they mostly all have Velo's or JVX's:S.

Also, I'm not really interested in the ground rush a tiny canopy offers, instead I prefer a long smooth swoop...I've always heard a larger canopy goes further.

Thanks

then most likely go down a size or 2 to just for that reason.

I'm not convinced that it is a good reason.

The Katana I tried was alright. It was the same size as what I have now (107), so I wanted to see if there was a big difference between the 2 canopies of the same size. Don't get me wrong, it was fun, but not enough for me to wana go out and buy one....it was just ok.

That's partly because the Vengence is a "sleeper" canopy that was never really all that popular. Its a pretty high performance canopy and can be pushed really hard.

If you're doing the downsize thing as well, try the Katana out again in 97. All of the canopies you've listed are good canopies and are good for different reasons. Try them out and you'll find what you like.

Thanks for the input Dave,

I was hoping to try that one this summer, but it never happened....so this winter at the Zhill Xmas boogie, I'll give it a good try and land a little farther out where there is no traffic, so I can see what it can do.

I'm not convinced I have to downsize, but based on the fact that the Xbraced canopies should be loaded higher, then its like buying a Porche and driving it around your street instead of on a fast, windy, country road or the open highway.

For now I'm having a good time with my Vengence 107 and only after I get a bunch of jumps on a few of the higher performance canopies, will I consider what I really should get or not....maybe I'll just get a removable slider for my 107 and see how much that changes the characteristics.

Cheers.

maybe I'll just get a removable slider for my 107 and see how much that changes the characteristics.

Its huge!

I have jumped a Velo 103 without an RDS that flew slower than my 111 with the RDS. Its that big of a difference.

Thats what some of the other pilots at my DZ say as well, although those guys all have Xbraced canopies...so I was wondering if that difference would be more noticable on a high performance canopy than it would on a Vengence 107.

To tell you the truth, I was going to have one of our riggers measure my slider on my next jump so he can make one (he's made a few of the other RDS's at our DZ)...I was also going to measure the slider of one of the HP canopies just to compare sizes. I was hoping that RDS could be used on another canopy in the future should I decide to move to a different canopy.

Our season is almost over here, so most likely I'll be getting an RDS and start from there.

Thanks for the feedback again!

I was never super impressed by the Katana either. Put about 50 jumps on a Katana 83.

Just put about 10 jumps on a Xaos27 88 and thought it was nice but seemed a lil sluggish and the rears were kinda mushy. Felt a lil tricky to land just using rears. Openings were a lil erratic also.

Also just jumped a VX 77. Awesome canopy. It has a ton of jumps and still flew great. Openings beat the Katana and Xaos. Control range was very wide and I liked how the rears had some pressure to them.
Very easy to land even just on rear risers.
Fast and fun.

I currently jump a Competition Cobalt 85 and would have to say it is a sweet canopy. No matter what it opens great and swoops sooo far. It flies to a stop meaning I dont have to run out my landings. Easy to land on rears. Try to demo one of them.

My next canopy will be a Competition Cobalt or a JVX. Maybe a Velo or Neos after I demo them.

Havent had the chance to fly a Velocity
It amazes most everyone who jump it.
Maybe the Icarus Neos
Im gonna demo one asap.
A friend put some jumps on one and said it dove like a VX/Velo and it looked just as fast. Opened great. Sounds pretty sweet to me.

At your jump numbers a Katana, Cobalt, Crossfire2, or Cometition Cobalt would be best.

I noticed they all fly better loaded at 2.0 or more.
I often wear a weight belt to keep up in freefall and load my canopy more.
Have fun tryin new shit bec I sure am.

>I have a camera on my head . . .

That's a big factor in any canopy decision. If that's the case, I'd recommend you look at a Xaos21 at about the same size, primarily for the openings (both stability and softness.) I'd stay away from canopies like the Neos that need more attention after opening; with a camera on your head your focus may be elsewhere.

Thanks for the input Dave,

I was hoping to try that one this summer, but it never happened....so this winter at the Zhill Xmas boogie, I'll give it a good try and land a little farther out where there is no traffic, so I can see what it can do.

I'm not convinced I have to downsize, but based on the fact that the Xbraced canopies should be loaded higher, then its like buying a Porche and driving it around your street instead of on a fast, windy, country road or the open highway.

For now I'm having a good time with my Vengence 107 and only after I get a bunch of jumps on a few of the higher performance canopies, will I consider what I really should get or not....maybe I'll just get a removable slider for my 107 and see how much that changes the characteristics.

Cheers.

Figuring out how a canopy performs by "seeing what it can do" on a landing is like driving that Porsch at 90 around your neighborhood instead of the open roads (higher altitude). But anyway, knock yourself out (pun intended).
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

>I'd stay away from canopies like the Neos that need more attention after opening; with a camera on your head your focus may be elsewhere.

I just put 22 jumps on a Neos demo last week (loaded at 2.0), and I actually think it's a great canopy when you're flying camera, if only for the openings. Sure, it's quite responsive to weight shifts in brakes, but after the first few jumps I really didn't notice this anymore, you sort of adjust your flying style automatically I guess. Is this what you mean by 'need more attention after opening'?

Nope, I meant what I said.
Flown them all and like them way better loaded that much. Faster, farther, and funner.
Obviously not everyone agrees that a Katana is better loaded at 2.1 but I like it there. Lands me nice and soft. Had my Comp Cobalt up to 2.25 and love it.