skymama

Hurricane Katrina

Some of you may recall what I went through LAST YEAR when the hurricanes came through.....I lost everything with only a Cat. 3 storm. So my heart has continued to fall when I see the new projected path of this storm, heading Louisiana/Mississippi way, knowing the destruction it will cause.

Everyone is in my prayers and if you are sitting some where to see this, and are near that "projected path" - please PLEASE start making preps to get the hell out of there NOW (took me 17 hours to travel 6 hours when we evacuated almost 2 days prior). GET OUT - If for no other reason than the emotional duress you could potential experience as you watch things crumble around you.

Be safe everyone, I've got room for a handful in FL if you want to venture this way and I think I can speak for many saying we will ALL be here for you when it is said and done. [:/][:/]

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

Well, it's been a while since I posted but I'm pretty much scared shitless right now. We're in Slidell just East of New Orleans and we've decided to stay. We don't have the money to get out and the hotels are full anyways. We're in a nice sturdy brick house though and the doors are sandbagged. We don't have renters insurance. Wish us luck and keep us in your prayers.

BSBD
Christina & Al

You don't have any friends/family further inland? [:/]

Have you at least boarded up your windows?

It's a category 5 now....maybe it'll be a 4 when it hits, but that's still extraordinarily strong.

The satellite image is insane: http://hurricane.accuweather.com/hurricane/storms.asp?partner=accuweather&myadc=0&ocean=atlantic&storm=Katrina&imagetype=sat

You have a hurricane 5 heading your way... get the FUCK out of there. She killed FOUR people as a borderline hurricane one. She has winds approaching 200 MPH and your staying? Find some way out and get there quick. Uhh its not to late to call and get renters insurance, you can always cancel it once everything works out
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Bingo. Even if I didn't have the money to stay at a hotel, I'd get in the car and drive far far away. Sleeping in a car is better than staying put when it's this strong a storm.

Christina: In your neighborhood they're predicting an 10 to 11 foot storm surge. Sandbags aren't going to cut it.

Listen to all the warnings and get the hell out of there. A friend of mine is visiting family in New Orleans this weekend...I'm going to call her in a few minutes to make sure they've left.

Christina...

You need to leave now. The Red Cross is opening shelters, and they will take care of you (food, bed). It's a catagory 5 hurricane with 170 mph winds, and a 25 foot storm surge in some areas. They are expecting a catastrophic loss of life from this one...that's more than 4 people.

Take what is important to you, what is irreplaceable, the animals, and Al...and get moving.

Don't take the chance. It's not worth it.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Hi Katee. greetings from ground zero again !! I am not sure if you had seen it : but a bunch of us from Emerald Coast were on the Weather Channel today. We did a beach jump to the Pink Pony Pub in Gulf Shores. I landed only a few feet from Stephanie Abrams the meterologist . It was perfect tip toe landing with a tandem. She thought that was "Totally awesome " I might take her on a tandem soon. It was truly a beautiful day today !!!

I hope everyone out there had an awesome day skydiving as well !!

P.S. If anyone knows the where-abouts of Psyco Bob. Send him home !! DON'T Try to apprehend Him as he is probably armed and dangerous..

I wish I saw that however I don't have cable. That's awesome Timber!B|

ANYONE in that area needs to figure something out......it is nothing to mess with. Your LIFE is worth more than worrying about cash right now. I can not begin to say how horrible this will be. I only dealt with a Cat. 3 and despite having a brick home with boarded up windws, I lost half my roof, so had rain for 33 hours inside my home. I was without power for 11 days and you forget what THAT means......no voice to the outside world UNLESS you have batteries and a radio.....no water to flush toilets and no ice for cold drinks in this crazy heat....Curphews so you can't leave your homes (or whatever is left of them). PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE..............Sometimes you just can't fatham something like this assuming it can not possibly affect you. But now having gone through it first hand...figure it out people. Stop reading this and get to a sfr place....That entire part of the region is in my prayers! Be strong, be prepared!

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

Christina...

You need to leave now.

Take what is important to you, what is irreplaceable, the animals, and Al...and get moving.

Don't take the chance. It's not worth it.

I second that motion.

Katrina is a big old bitch and has 24 hours or so to stengthen before she hits -- do not take any chances with this one.

Please.

Remember this is from someone who rode out two, count 'em, two, major hurricanes last year in our manufactured home and will do it again , but NOT if something like Katrina was headed our way.

Go!

Now.

Christina,

You better get back to your home in a couple of days and think: "Whoa, needn't have gone away!", than be sorry for the rest of your life of possible loss of life of your dear ones or yourself.

You gain nothing, but have literally everything to lose by staying. GET INTO A SHELTER!

Nice to meet you toot!

just like skydiving in bad conditions... I would much rather be on the ground wishing I were in the air, then in the air wishing I were on the ground GET OUT OF THERE NOW... This hurricane will KILL and already has KILLED...

Well, it's been a while since I posted but I'm pretty much scared shitless right now. We're in Slidell just East of New Orleans and we've decided to stay. We don't have the money to get out and the hotels are full anyways. We're in a nice sturdy brick house though and the doors are sandbagged. We don't have renters insurance. Wish us luck and keep us in your prayers.

BSBD
Christina & Al

Christina, New Orleans is now on a MANDATORY Evacuation, so that should mean Slidell as well. Please seek higher ground.

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm12/tropicalatlanticsatellite_large.html

looks as if our areas will have a long month,

Anyone who is in Katrinas path if you do not evacuate you stand the chance of losing your LIFE... It has a day to continue to get worse, I dont know why people think there 10 feet tall and bullet proof. You are not immune , and since you are in the path you stand the chance to become a statistic in a bad way. Get out

sadly mandatory doesnt always mean mandatory, its there way of saying if your going to be a dumb fuck and stay then dont look to us for help. As in if you are hurt, stranded etc there wont be people around to help until AFTER the storm...

Christina

I'm sure you could go to any DZ and they'd be happy to let you camp out in the hanger for a couple of days. We had people come up from Florida last year to do that. Has your DZ moved their plane(s) yet? Maybe you could hitch a ride. Once Katrina hits you won't be able to do anything to save your house anyway, you really need to get yourself out of harm's way.

Don

I'm in Baton Rouge and it looks like the rough stuff is gonna pass to the east of us here. We are gonna have some wind but tha nasty is on the east side of the storm over by Mobile and slidell LA which is about 100 miles away. Got everything prepped and ready to go.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Unless I am mistaken, with clockwise rotation of the wind, the worst side is the west side. It will be higher winds and pushing the storm surge inland. The east side will have less storm surge, but with a Category 5 storm the wind will extremely high everywhere for more than a hundred miles. Don't get complacent.

P-
--
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Postal Rodriguez, Muff 3342

the worst side is the west side.

Not the worse side will be the east side.

It's not gonna be pretty but I'm staying here. the building i'm in isnt going anywhere and the storm is starting to turn more north and is gonna start to go NE so we will get some wind and a lot of rain but we'll be ok. Best of luck to anybody going through this. I got a shit load of ice, water, coke, Jack Daniels, Batteries, cards, Radios, plenty of food, Thats one thing my ass doesnt need is food, full tank of gas with 20 more gallons in cans so here we go. Oh and a few good books and I just went to the cigar show and picked up some Monte Cristo's and Don Tomas cigars so I am set.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

On one side of the storm, where the circulating winds and the entire storm are moving in the same direction, the wind speed is increased by the forward movement of the storm. On the opposite side of the storm, the circulating wind speed is decreased by the forward motion. In the Northern Hemisphere, the right side of a hurricane, looking in the direction in which it is moving, has the higher wind speeds and thus is the more dangerous part of the storm. The average tropical cyclone moves from east to west in the tropical trade winds that blow near the equator

On one side of the storm, where the circulating winds and the entire storm are moving in the same direction, the wind speed is increased by the forward movement of the storm. On the opposite side of the storm, the circulating wind speed is decreased by the forward motion. In the Northern Hemisphere, the right side of a hurricane, looking in the direction in which it is moving, has the higher wind speeds and thus is the more dangerous part of the storm. The average tropical cyclone moves from east to west in the tropical trade winds that blow near the equator

I just love it, when you talk dirty to us!

Nice to meet you toot!