grasshopper

u2 in concert

has anyone seen them on this new tour? was the show up to the usual u2 quality? I am not a big fan of the new album, but I just bought tickets to the april 9 show in san jose. you only live once, right?

I saw them in Anaheim last weekend, it was a great show, but it may not top the Elevation Tour if you aren't that thrilled about the new album. They did six songs I think from that one.

Let us know how you thought the concert was.....

Bob
Bob Marks

"-when you leave the airplane its all wrong til it goes right, its a whole different mindset, this is why you have system redundancy." Mattaman

I saw them a couple of years ago when they were touring for "All That You Can't Leave Behind". They were awesome. They definitely know how to put on a great show.

Having said that, I personally can't stand their new album. In fact, until they come out with something that totally makes up for it, U2 is officially dead to me. I'm especially disgusted whenever I'm subjected to their "All Because of You" single. I think that song must part of some sick joke that Bono is playing.

I sure was pissed off with how they sold tickets for Vancouver -the end of this month. Really wanted to see them but they were sold out in 2 seconds online, even after adding another concert- no way could locals get tickets. Then everywhere else in the world tickets could be purchased from scalpers and I refuse to go that route.

I was also pissed that I bought the cd/dvd/book with pics for $30. --- found I couldn't stand the cd except for maybe Vertigo...the DVD was better with surround sound but still very disappointing. The black & white dvd of Rattle & Hummmm rawks! They were in it for the music for sure then......

booooo to U2
:(:(:(

SMiles;)
eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

The problem with the ticket sales is b/c of ticket agencies buying them up the instant they go on sale. The GA floor seats are always the first to go.

I say them on there vertigo tour (won't say when b/c i might get it trouble with my boss>:() It was my first concert of any type and I'm so glad it was. I had a blast and screamed myself horse singing. It was worth an entire day waiting in line. I was one person back from the railing right at the tip of the elipse shaped catwalk.

booooo to U2

come on now, why boo them in general? you like some of there work right? why not just say "I don't like most of the stuff on vertigo" and leave it at that?
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

hey, congrats on your first concert, sounds like your seating was perfect too....
:P:P:P

come on now, why boo them in general? you like some of there work right? why not just say "I don't like most of the stuff on vertigo" and leave it at that?

Why booo to U2?
Some of my reasons along with some quotes from reviews I have read, that I agree with:

After 13 albums which have sold over 140 Million copies do U2 matter any more? And, more importantly, does a band that has been around for 25 years have the drive to produce a great album??

How to dismantle an atomic bomb has a few great tracks when they just hand it to the Edge- and let it rip...............and a whole mess of schmaltzy filler.

They jerkily promoted U2-branded iPods over big, neon expanses, the flesh and blood members of U2 have been reduced to signifiers, mock-ups, representatives. Are they bigger than their band.??

Bono is forever tiptoeing the line between wholly extraordinary and idiotically self-obsessed.

I now find myself skipping Vertigo because it's been played to death. Bono's totally singing in Spanish! Wait, he said catorce! ....when the Edge slams into his guitar, hollering a smirky "Hola!" to Bono's quasi-confrontational "Hello, hello!" ...not bad. (How long? How long must we sing this song?)--------(How long? How long can we listen to this song?)
:S

"City of Blinding Lights" is the record's climax, and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb begins its gnawing descent almost immediately, culminating with disastrous closer "Yahweh", a whiny, monotonous mess that's easily one of the worst songs U2 have ever recorded. U2 tradition, the album-closing chitchat with the Lord. It's too long and too slow.
:S

Bono has talked publicly about U2's longevity and quasi-diversity, crediting their shape-shifting to his band's unbreakable internal bonds-- U2 can afford to mess around, because the "spirit" of the band is so strong, so infinitely recognizable. But maybe U2's immortality is also their biggest curse-- and now they're forced to wallow in superstardom, forever perpetuating their own colossal myth.

Bono crusading righteously to reduce Third World debt, campaigning against AIDS, spitting post-Beat induction speeches from Jann Wenner's Hall of Fame podium, bobbing stupidly for Apple, talking and talking and talking about himself. Publicly, U2 are overblown and decadent, sporting silly, abstract monikers and booking colossal stadium tours, calling presidents, wearing sunglasses in the dark, anchoring the Super Bowl, pushing products.....

Hey, as you say....I did luv them in Joshua Tree & Rattle & Hummmmm but they have lost my interest as a fan because they are not "about the music" anymore....they are about the business of making music for $$$$$$$$$

SMiles;)

U2 Rocks. They're the only thing, the only thing that would make me miss a good day of skydiving.

That being said I'm going to see them in concert 3 times this year:
- got GA tickets for the 1st Chicago show
- got tickets to see them in Milwaukee with my "baby" sister.
- got tickets to see them in Detroit, well because I live near Detroit.

High speed internet is key for getting tickets. Well that and a good watch.

- Cheryl

Hey Grasshopper,

I know you LOATHE me and would rather have dull pencils rammed into eye's before seeing me post to your thread.... But, I just had to share that the U2 concert was fantastic! :)
Have fun!

g

Raddest ho this side of Jersey #1 - rest in peace brother
Beth lost her cherry and I missed it
.... you want access to it, but you don't want to break it.

Let us know how you thought the concert was.....

well, the acoustics at the san jose pavillion were so bad, I left in the middle of the show. granted, my seats weren't the best, to the side and a little behind the stage, but wth? I saw them years ago from directly behind the stage and they sounded great.

but on the plus side, I only got one speeding ticket on the trip, got to see some friends, and didn't drunk dial too many people:$

but on the plus side, I only got one speeding ticket on the trip, got to see some friends, and didn't drunk dial too many people:$

You drunk dialed 1 too many!

I had to listen to the message like 10 times before I could figure out who it was or what the hell you were saying!

Nice talking to your drunk ass!

:D

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

Just saw them last night in PHX, they rocked, 1st time for me, good experience, good surprise too, the 'ultimate skydiver U2 fan' called me at noon with an extra ticket! We were on the floor, a few feet away... Close to 3 hours, lots of old stuff from the early 80's, great lights...

They are way overrated and always have been. And thanks to "Bone-O", they're pretentiously silly as well.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Opinions are like assholes...

Err... well, considering I have been thrown in the U2 tank... 2 U2 concerts in 2 days, I have to agree with U, or I might be considered 2 be a dumb follower of crapy over rated rock bands... but it's really Greg's fault! he tossed me in the tank;)
U2 kicked ass, and yes tell the dude above U 2 keep his asshole 2 himself, I don't dare tell him, he has such a scarwy icon...

I saw him up close and personal in Denver...I'll never forget him...

Was he as short as he looks on stage?

Yeah...he was much shorter than me...i'm 5'10"..I'll guess he's 5'7 or 5'8...but he was so sweet...:$

What happened is that U2 was staying at the Westin downtown Denver..and I didn't know...but I stopped in for a cocktail or two..and there was a crowd outside the doors..I asked security what the crowd was all about and they let me in. So I had the Westin Bar with U2 and my hubby at the time all to ourselves. Bono is really amazing...a beautiful man inside and out.:)

Hey, as you say....I did luv them in Joshua Tree but they have lost my interest as a fan because they are not "about the music" anymore....they are about the business of making music for $$$$$$$$$

SMiles;)

I love U2's music up through the Joshua Tree album. Not much to offer after that except for a few hits. Their War album I think is one of their best.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Benji,

I picked up the Live from Slane Castle, Ireland DVD last night. It is from the Elevation tour in 2001. This DVD ROCKS man. Pick it up, dude. B|

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/movie/pid/6406464/a/U2+-+Go+Home:+Live+from+Slane+Castle,+Ireland.htm

Now I gotta find tickets to the Atlanta show towards the end of the year. I hate to fork out $1,000 per ticket but I may have too. :|