BillyVance

Arachnophobia!

Caught this dude a week ago camping out on my front porch on a web 3 feet in diameter. This one is about as long as my palm is from wrist to knuckles. :o

When I blew softly on it, it got pissed and started bouncing up and down on the web... whoa dude! :S

I just checked today and its still there. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

We got what I call a "Cotton" Spider hanging out here at the office. They make this Zig-Zag stitch pattern in the center. I saw this bohemoth wrap up a huge flying insect of some kind yesterday and I guess it ate it last night cause today she looks bigger.:o

BSBD
Home of the Alabama Gang

I've seen those before... They're huge... bigger than the one I have on my porch. I ain't touching any of them, no way... :P But I leave them alone since they catch some of the bugs and moths... much the same way I like having those little bats flying around my house at dusk since they eat mosquitoes. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

We got what I call a "Cotton" Spider hanging out here at the office.

WHOA THERE! That pic #1 looks like that spider is high and trying to spin a regular web...! :D

Spider #1: "Dude, an' then....an' then....an' then I think I'll make my living room right...heeeeeere."

Spider #2: "Dude, nobody makes a living room right there, man...it needs to be over more. Naw, a little more...yeah, more over that way...SHIT!! did you just hear something?!? Pass me the Cheetos." :o:|
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I used to get those when I lived in Central CO. They are huge, they make huge webs, and when you get close they start bouncing up and down on them. I think it's a warning, but it's also how they attempt to trap nearby flying insects - by pushing their web into them.

If you don't want them living on your porch, just take their web down. They'll make another one the next night. Take that down too. Usually after the third night, they get the hint and leave. Just gotta be more persistent than them.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

There were about a billion of these guys in the woods where I was hiking recently (see attached photo). Anyone know what type he is? I can't even tell which end is which on this guy - his head looks just like his ass. They were spread across the footpaths everywhere. A handy walking stick was used to push the web aside to get around them. Every once in a while I would not be paying attention, and would walk right into one face first. And then it's a good thing I'm alone in the woods, because if anyone else saw the freak dance I do to get a big spider off of me, I'd be humiliated. Oh, and this is a good reason to take a hiking partner - and let them go first!

And then it's a good thing I'm alone in the woods, because if anyone else saw the freak dance I do to get a big spider off of me, I'd be humiliated.

"freak dance" if I had one of those things on my face I would be screaming like a girl and thrashing about uncontrollably.

and this is a good reason to take a hiking partner

Or a shotgun.:)
Joe.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."