lewmonst

Which is more dangerous: Rock Climbing or Skydiving?

Ouchy. :(

Yeah and that was with a fully functional parachute.

[mumble]damn rocks, plf my ass [/mumble]

Shannon, what happened? That looks like it hurt

Correction, it HURTS!

Me vs crackly hard rocky ground in an out downwinder on the side of a hill. I think I lost. The ground just smirked at me.

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

Skydiving is way more dangerous! Just look at my ass!

This was a result of skydiving, does that count?

Then again, I got the one in the attachment from playing softball (those things ain't THAT soft). :S

By the way, your bruise tastes yummy. :|:D

Blues,
dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I don't think it really compares. If you are only toproping and not doing trad then rockclimbing is very safe. If you are doing some serious multi pitch trad climbing then I think that it could be more dangerous then your average skydive, but probably just as dangerous as swooping.

I climb stuff and agree. Except for the obvious, I don't know squat about jumping, but there are several different disciplines in climbing. Some are far more dangerous than others.

Toproping? Skydiving seems more dangerous to me. Big-wall freesoloing? No offense to you fine folks, but I think you'd have to jump with your rig attached to nothing but your genetalia to rival it. B|

(I love the pirate emoticon, but what exactly does it mean?)

there's people out there who do bigwall freesoloing?! crazy people. How do you define bigwall, by the way?

Used to be you spent a night on a big wall. Now some sicko's climb two in less than 24 hours. Just think Yosemite and that's pretty much the definition of big walls.

Of course, someone else from rc.n00b will come over shortly and give you the total technical geekout answer with 17 different subclassifications.

I guess it all depends on each person. My friend is a very experienced rock climber for the longest and he refuses to go skydiving because its scares the heck out of him. I've never been rock climbing before. The closest thing I ever did to that was hiking up to the summit of a mountain in Nevada. It took all of the energy of out me though.
----------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------
If you want to see the rainbow, you gotta put up with the storm. God bless! :)

Interesting!

I think it depends a lot on who you jump with, and who belays you.
I voted skydiving as more dangerous.

Here's my reasoning.

When you start to climb, you can start in a gym, on a top rope, with an excellent person on belay and another right next to you coaching in quiet, real time. If you're pumped out, your belayer can lock down and give you a time out.

When you start to skydive, it's through the same door as those with 10000 jumps plus, and whatever happens in the next 60 seconds - you'll need to deal with. (Tandem excluded.)

I guess we could draw a gym/top rope comparison to tunnel time here.

Once you're a more senior sport climber, even when leading a climb your belay partner can call out grips, give you a rest, get you to double check you're hooked in on 2 points prior to untieing to rap down. You can use a sling to hook in at any point. You can get stuck and call on a cell for help, etc. These options are not available as a skydiver.

Trad has many more variables, but I think most trad climbers are more experienced, know their limits (usually discovered in sport or boldering) and stay within them.

Solo climbing I think is many times more dangerous than even BASE.
Equipment dependance is down to shoes and magnesium carbonate, and a loose rock or weather can compromise even the best.

Mountaneering, with it's high altitudes, hypoxia, HAPE and HACE, exhaustion, exposure etc also introduce many variables and blur the lines between success and failure, elation and survival.

I guess there's a big difference between a SL jump from 3500ft and a 400 way too..

t
It's the year of the Pig.

there's people out there who do bigwall freesoloing?! crazy people. How do you define bigwall, by the way?

I'd call anything that will kill you big enough. ;) Check out this picture of Alex Huber climbing Kommunist. :S

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

wow, i can't believe skydiving is winning in the polls, I voted for climbing. I'm going to do another multi-pitch tomorrow and it scares me way more than skydiving, even swooping...
peace
lew

It could be that this is posted in the skydiving site so more skydivers voted. I wonder what the answers to the poll would be like if this was posted on the rockclimbing site.

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)