lisamariewillbe

Snowboarding

So I this winter, am being conned into learning to snowboard. Hell Ive only played in the snow once in my life. Anyone else snowboard? Is it even fun? Wont I look fat in a sky jacket? If the kid does better at it then me will I look like a goober ? For real, anyone have any experience with strapping a piece of board to their feet and falling down a mountain?
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

That little monster does everything better then me.... last time in Montana, I caught 2 little 3 inch fish, got one wrapped around a tree and was screaming like a , well like a girl.... he was cathing 2 or 3 a day.... grrrrrrr

i've been boarding for 8 years (or should i say seasons since i live in ohio) now. i skiied my entire life up until that point. skiing got boring so i wanted something more fun.
boarding was it for me.
my advise for you is to take at least 1 lesson and expect to be very sore!
once you get the hang of it, it is a blast... and your kids will probly pick it up faster than you.
and no you wont look fat in a coat. there a a lot of good looking ones out there!

my advise for you is to take at least 1 lesson

hmmm CLAY you hear that right??? Lessons from you dont count, we already learned what happens when you coach me

expect to be very sore

Dammit Otto, I was thinking "at least it isnt a high energy sport"

no you wont look fat in a coat

Ill be borrowing Clays , Im to much a cheap skate to buy a coat for a week in Montana... Ive not owned a coat in over a decade....

Thanks Alana...

So should we start a pool on what body part Ill break? B|[:/]

Hey, i'll be giving it a go in December for the first time too! I'm heading to Austria for two weeks. :)

lucky! where in austria are you going?
i was very fortunate when i was younger to ski a lot of europe since we were living over there. i think the place we went to a lot in austria was called kitsbuel (sp?)

If you are anything like some of the boarders around here, get waterproof pants, they tend to sit in the middle of the runs more than they actually board. :P Bit it is really nice of the beginners to scrape the loose snow off of the runs, that stuff is just a distraction from the ice we all 'really' love.

I'm likely trying boarding later in the season, but right now, want to get better ski gear and try that out.

(get wrist protectors and take a lesson, it's a lot of fun but hard the first couple days - remember how Andrea hurt herself)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

My advise:

Take a lesson

Wear a helmet

Wear wrist guards

Wear waterproof pants

Because of all the falling and getting up, you'll stay pretty warm, so a heavy jacket won't really be needed.

Oh, and you will be sore all over.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

The problem is, that in THE AIR you were telling me LEGS out, my legs were COMPLETLEY flat out. If you wanted my arms fixed then you should have told me ARMS.... AND it wasnt even supposed to be a coach jump, I wanted a kiss pass ya big goober....I was falling stable, get your ass to me... we can work on my style AFTER that ....

Ok, here's the deal... I am a ski and snowboard instructor, for the past four years now. Yes, learning to do either is a pain, litrally, in the but, unless you are one of the very few naturals out there. But stick with it. You know the feeling you get in free fall? Well, when you catch first tracks, hit the snow before anyone else has, and you are just flying down the run, the feelig is similer. Not the same, not as good, but close.
Most people spend the entire first day falling, particulary on a board. But go back the second and third days. They get better, and you will get it. Leave your pride at the car, because someone is probably going to laugh at you, you probably won't know it, but it will occur. So laugh at yourself, and have fun. Actually, laughing at the falls, and having fun, will make the learning process easier.
Don't, under any circumstances, let a loved one teach you. We have seen more relationships dissolved on the mt than anywhere else. I swear. Your loved one may not realize why you can't pick something up. One skill that he thinks is ubber easy may in fact be andvanced, therefore you shouldn't even be trying it if you can't carve across the slope. So DO NOT take lessons from someone you care about staying around. Ride with them, play with them, but leave the teaching/coacking to the pros. Please trust me, this is just as important as laughing!
What part of Montana will you be going to? I head up to Whitfish, that is Big Mountain, at least once a year. I'd be more than happy to give you some lessons, for free, if we are in the same place at the same time.

Jess

Fear not death. Fear instead the unlived life.

...forehead

Umhhh, has something to do with both feet being strapped to a board. When you fall forward while going downhill, you land on your knees and head!

So then you quickly learn to fall backwards and land on your butt (and the back of your head!) ;)

Blue skies,

Jim

LOL...it sounded like a good idea to me too when I went! :ph34r:

Wear wrist guards. I'm not kidding you. If you don't, you may look like me in this picture. B|

Take the lesson. We did great in the lesson which I think gave me a false sense of security. The flat part is nothing like the sloped part! We still learned a lot though.

Go where it's all nice and powdery, not where there is a lot of ice. I learned on ice the last day the slopes were open. It was very slick and hard when we fell. I didn't even have my arms behind me when I fell, they were just by my side. I guess the icy snow was just really hard or my bones really weak.

I didn't have waterproof pants and wish I had. I tried wearing nylon pants with silk underwear and it wasn't very good, my ass still got soaked. We all ended up taking our coats off because we got warm, but then again, it was March.

I'll still try it again, but only with wrist guards!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

We will be in Superior its about a hour from Misoula, from Dec 17th thru xmas day, I believe. Talk to Freeflir29 about where we are actually boarding. I just follow. I dont know how experienced he is. We did learn that , well I learned that he cant coach me, except for shooting, I listened to him with that. I dont mind so much, hell he thinks its cute that I suck.

We will have a 10 year old learning as well. Ill have him PM you.

Good advice :)
Tell me something Jess, how hard is snowboarding on the ankles? I broke my fib/tib in October last year and i skydive with an ankle guard on. Should i just do the same with the boarding> Wear the guard and not worry?

Thanks
PJ

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Clay told me to take lessons from you? >:( why would he want my arms in casts? :|

Okay so would a skydiving helmet suffice as a helmet?

Define wrist guards? Just plain supports like a ace bandage or is there something specfic?