seekfun

Have you ever stuck a 9-volt battery to steel wool?

Actually, that's a good camping tip.

I keep some steel wool packed into a 35 mm film canister in my hiking backpack. Touch it to the lightbulb prongs from your flashlight, and you get instant fire. Great for emergencies, or for when your matches are wet.

Clothes dryer lint from your laundry room works well too. Um, not with a battery though. You can strike sparks into it with a piece of steel, and it catches fire easily and burns hot. Then pile tender quickly on top.

another fun one is to plug a fresh, out of the barrel pickle. just use some alligator clips, some nails on each end, a dimmer switch if you have one. then turn out the lights and watch it glow!

its a old stagehand trick, stinks, but its funny to try!

BUNGE

I don't hate them, I just like us better.

Can you use belly button lint? I seem to have a damn factory for that stuff built right into me.

Well i no longer wanna do body shots off your body....:P

Well, I can clean the lint out! It's not permanent.
"...there is a there out there..." - Tom Robbins

another fun one is to plug a fresh, out of the barrel pickle. just use some alligator clips, some nails on each end, a dimmer switch if you have one. then turn out the lights and watch it glow!

I understand that the old timers used this set-up for night jumps a long time ago. Which led to the invention of Cyalume chemical light sticks.

Well i no longer wanna do body shots off your body....
------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I can clean the lint out! It's not permanent.

Yummy, body shots off Topher's body this weekend!! :$

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

(writing from WiFi hotspot at Florida Skydive Center)

A 9 volt battery is nothing.

Try 10 flashlight "D" batteries connected in series. I even accidentally shortcircuited some approximately 20 gauge wire, and 12 inches of it glowed red hot, making an awful smell as the plastic melted off it. Burnt myself a little too, trying to defuse this by removing a battery -- even the battery holders were starting to get hot and started smoking a little at the plastic ends near the contacts. Ouch!

Multimeter exceeded 10 amps (beyond range), so that was something like a 100+ watt short circuit. I have seen more than 20 amperes of power come from a single D cell (1.2V per NiCd), so this could have easily been over 200 watts - the red glow hot occured less than a second after short circuit. The battery holders were also upgraded with thicker contacts for lower resistance, and even those got warm, and the plastic case of the holder started smoking from the overheated contacts between the cells. I yelped since I was still holding one end of the wire, and right after that, removing a battery was the safest way to stop this accidental short circuit and I still burnt myself a second time doing that. Needless to say, I was much more careful proceeding with my project. ;)

I were using Radio Shack "D" Cell High Capacity Rechargeables (The expensive $12.99 per battery stuff from the late 80s and early 90s), they really packed a big punch of amperes output in a short circuit, being able to give short surges of current more than alkaline, sometimes exceeding 20 amperes!... And yes, I paid over 100 dollars for 10 of these batteries as a 14-year old Electronics whiz...

The battery pack was for a high voltage inverter circuit I was designing... Although I don't have the hobby anymore, I sure spent a lot of time with the soldering iron and ammonium persuphate (circuit board etching chemical)...

If I can make 12 inches of 20 gauge copper wire glow immediately (That's thicker than telephone wire!) from a battery pack of 10 expensive flashlight D batteries, imagine what happened to the steel wool when a short circuit that powerful runs through it!