TrophyHusband

barking dog problem

since my dog loves to tunnel out of the yard, i have to confine her to a 6x6 kennel when nobody is home. the problem is that i think she barks the whole time i'm gone. a shock collar is out of the question. a friend of mine has had very good luck with a citronella collar, but for half of the price i've found an ultrasonic thingy. does anyone have experience with these? is there another way to get her to stop barking?

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

it will take some time....

get a spray/spritzer bottle

sit out there... when she barks spray her with water...

a few sessions should work. you are changing her behavioral patterns and it is harmless becauses it is watter... plus you spend time with ur pet....

oh ya have some doggie treats too
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I've heard from several people who had neighbor dog barking problems that the ultrasonic things do work.

Other things to do are to get her a kong and fill it with peanut butter/cream cheese/cheese wiz and dog food then freeze it overnight, in the morning give it to her before you go to work and it should keep her busy for hours. you will have to cut back the normal amount she gets at meal time so she doesn't get fat.

BTW...I trained my high drive dog with an e-collar and do not like collars that give stimuli on there such as bark collars or invisible fence collars. If you go a collar route go the citronella route like you were looking at.
Fly it like you stole it!

Once I read about this guy who had a husky with a serious barking problem, mainly during the night. Him and his dog was very close to being lynched by the angry and very sleepy neighbors when he realized he needed to do something. He rigged up a bucket of water that could be remotely emptied from the house over the kennel, and watched the dog from a window. When he started barking and was directly under the bucket he dumped the water on the dog. Needless to say he only had to do it one more time...:D

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

Emma is adorable! I take my sweet Josephine to doggie day care! It's not that expensive and she can play with her own kind all day! Or maybe Emma just needs a buddy to keep her company when you're away!
"It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities." - A. Dumbledore

eventually i will get another dog, as well as take this one to obedience training. my wife is having a baby in the next week or two so another dog will have to wait. besides, emma is only 4 months old. i'm not ready to housebreak another one just yet.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

KJ

you should have asked about a barking at night problem, I can fix that quickly. The hardest thing to teach any animal is what to do when you are not there, simply because you can not be there for the training.

Haven't talked to you since you left the south. How is Idaho treating you other than barking dogs?

besides, emma is only 4 months old. i'm not ready to housebreak another one just yet.

Oh, she is still a baby, I bet she is bored and lonely, maybe even a little scared about being alone. Is she a house dog when you are home and an outside dog when you are gone? If she is you may want to think about crate training her and leaving her in the house when you are gone for 4 hours or less. I beleive the rule of thumb is she can hold it one hour for every month old that she is. Plus, if she is crate trained and likes her crate it will make things easier with the new baby. She can be in the crate while the baby is crawling on the floor which means she can experinece the baby without having the oportunity to jump on the baby or try to play with it like it is another puppy.

Here is a great read.... I am your puppy

Kelli, great minds think alike. I was just thinking about that article and to post a link to it.

Hang in there TH, the puppy is like a baby. Sounds like you will have your hands full in the next few weeks, good luck to you.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

That links was an Excellent read - thanks

Also,
Slightly off topic.... but why would anyone EVERY use a shock collar? .... There's loads of dogs out there (I'd like to think that ours are included) that behave based upon love and training not torture.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

There's loads of dogs out there (I'd like to think that ours are included) that behave based upon love and training not torture

I'm sorry, but I take offense to that statement. I have one dog that tends to not listen and do what ever he wants, including running after wildlife and when he catches them, he kills them for sport. Are you saying I don't love my dog because I've trained him with an e-collar? Do you know how they work? You might want to educate yourself before making such a statement.

BTW, I love all my animals and would never cause them any pain. I would lay down my life in order to protect them.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Sorry Never meant to cause any offence -Really.

I've never had a persistant chaser - so good luck.

From my experience.. none of the dogs that I've been around have needed any device (except cheese... god they looove cheese!). BUT as there are uncontrollable people I can well believe that there are uncontrollable dogs (Hey I dont have all of the answers:) )..... I also see poorly trained owners all the time (I've even heard of people advocating stopping a jumping dog by stepping on their feet - WTF...... with one of ours, I just say down and turn away... she got the message).
Behaviour can be changed in many ways (loads of stuff on the web) but probably best done from scratch when the pup is first being trained. Some people just want immediate results and are not prepared to spend time (oh it can take a lot of time, especially with re-homed older dogs)and attention.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Let me start this post out with DO NOT use an e-collar on a puppy!!!!

I don't like e-collars like invisible fence collars and bark collars because the collar decides when to give the stimuli and is a completely negative re-enforcement. I also don't like petsmart clicker training, clicker training is great for teaching tricks but high drive dogs need to know their is a consequence for their actions if they do not obey a command. If you ever want to get to high levels of obedience from these dogs who would rather appease their drives than you well you need some kind of training collar be it a pinch collar or an e-collar.

I can tell you haven't had any experience or met anyone that had a dog trained correctly with a remote e-collar. In short you can adjust the strength of the stimuli and only use the lowest level to get the dogs attention. Of course this is not a miracle pill that will instantly make your dog perfect, far from it, if the handler hasn't had training on how to train the dog with it could easily be abused. That is why when someone sees my dog on the trail sitting on his rock that I told him to sit on (place command) while they are screaming at their dog to come back to them and want to know how I trained him I tell them about the collar and recommend two local trainers who will teach how to use the collar correctly, how to understand dog language, and where the training is for the lifetime of the dog, meaning you can go to class every week for the rest of the dogs life if you want or if everything is great you can quit but say a year down the road you have a problem you can start attending classes again no charge.

I know you would have to see it to beleive it but trust me it's not turture. I pick up the collar and he jumps up and down all excited cause he know he is going to get to go someplace fun. If it was torture he would be scared of it and he is strong enough to win against me if he doesn't want to do something. Derek and I have both tested the collar on ourselves to know what it feels like, Derek has even tried it out at it's highest setting and his comment was "Well that will definately get your attention"

E-collar Myths