debussyschild

on the brink: making the choice to skydive

Ok, I've made one jump. I LOVED IT!!!!! I still have an incredible amount of learning to do, but that first jump (AFF Category A... yes, I passed :-D) really opened my eyes to why in the world people jump out of perfectly good airplanes. Because it kicks every other sport square in the kisser!!!

To give you an idea of where I stand, I guess the best way to describe how I feel about the sport is to reflect on my first experience. I was VERY nervous on the way up in the plane--not to mention the entire WEEK before I was scheduled to do my jump--(a CASA at the West Point Halloween Boogie, VA), but I just kinda sang a little song to myself to keep calm and to keep my breathing steady. That definitely helped when the pilot performed the zero-g maneuver for the raft dive exit. Fun fun! Anyways, I got up from my seat when my instructors told me to, approached the tailgate, poised for exit, performed my hotel check-in, exit count, and SEE YA! I was flying! I don't recall being scared in the air at all. I DO recall, however, being hyperfocused and very much aware of everything that was going on around me (to the extent that a student would BE aware, that is... I still have much to grasp). I remember I was doing very well maintaining good body position, only I did go a little super-man with my arms. I performed my three practice touches perfectly. I was scheduled to deploy at 6,000, but one of my instructors gave me the signal to pull at 7,000 (long spot) and without even thinking about it (I don't really remember his finger in my face, telling me to PULL!!), I quickly waved off and deployed. I did my count and began looking to see if I had something over my head. I did, with some surprise line twists to go with it. Fortunately, I didn't have to do much to correct the problem. The canopy fixed itself in about 2 seconds and then promptly inflated. YAY! Once I had confirmed that it was THERE, SQUARE, and (after performing practice turns and flares) STEERABLE, I let out a sigh of relief and just took in the view over the West Point drop zone. Absolutely breathtaking!! I almost cried a little bit out of relief, that 1) I managed to do everything I was supposed to do without freaking out and 2) that I was alive and steering a canopy for the very first time!!! Then I started making my way towards my holding area and with some radio assistance, successfully landed my canopy right where I had planned. Thanks for virtually no ground winds.

So, there you have it. I thoroughly enjoyed the very intense and exhilirating RUSH from being in free fall and I want to do it again SOOO badly, but I too have my reservations about putting my life at risk each time I jump. What I'd really like to know is how did some of you seasoned jumpers know that this is what you wanted to do and what influenced your decision that the rewards you have experienced from this sport (for you individually) significantly outweigh the risks?
I have a feeling that the more I jump, the greater level of rewards I will experience, regardless of whether or not during some of those jumps some scary situations may undoubtedly occur.

I do know this with much certainty: skydiving is a challenging and thrilling sport which requires much self-monitoring and discipline as well as a pro-active attitude and a conscientious mind. For that very reason I have a lot of respect for the sport and for those who reach great levels of success during their participation in it. Not to answer my own question, but perhaps it is just a matter of taking a "just do it" approach and seeing what happens next. :)
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

What a great post. I only have 3 dives but couldn't have said it better.

My first was static line. I crouched at the door of the plane with only a theoretical knowledge of what to do. Lambert, who wears no shoes, showed me that my line was hooked up and sort of invited me to jump out ("get the hell out this door"), and completely alone.

I did. How does one do that? Why?

That first jump answered the questions about taking the risk. No, going there in the first place assumed I'd already answered the risk question. To be honest, I'd already decided it was worth the risk, or else I wouldn't have been there. To ask that later is a kind of self-flattery.

I've looked at the statistics. In any given year, about 2% of divers (not dives) suffer injuries sufficient to be "reported" (by whom, to whom, I don't know). Are those bad injuries? I would think so, but I don't really know. I sprained my ankle and bloodied by knuckles on my first landing, and that certainly wasn't reported. And it wasn't even important to me. I got up with a huge grin.

0.01% of regular divers (not tandems or students) die in any year from skydiving (34 out of 34,000). Some students may have died (did), but my comparison is the deaths against active divers.

That's pretty safe. Is it safe for ME? I'm not unusually idiotic or uncoordinated or unlucky. I think it's as safe for me as for anyone else doing it. Once I get hurt, if I get hurt, it might be worse since I'm older than most, but until then, I'm good.

It's subjective. I understood immediately why people do it and how to factor the risk. It's not a rational thing to do in the first place, and after a certain point, the risk doesn't matter. You accept it, or you don't.

Haha, yeah, I've already been advised to avoid swooping, primarily because I'm about 5'2" and would have a hard time with it, and yes, swooping is indeed much more dangerous than just belly diving.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

hmmmm, I see myself as more of a freeflyer later on, but I think swooping is awesome... we shall see ;)

thanks, guys, i officially have no doubt in my mind that this is for me :)

Great post. I can still remember my Stage 1 AFF i was so flamin scared. Getting out that door was the hardest yet most fulfilling thing i have ever done. Welcome to skydiving. You are hooked and now you will know how a drug addict feels. I count the days until my next jump and re live my last jump.

for me it was a heavy decision. i have 4 young children to think about and there are a ton of threads about jumping as a parent...just do a search. we all have different philosophies about it.

for me.....i actually learned to love to jump. it was the same with scuba diving. now i don't know that i would live my life without either sport present. but it has taken time for me to "fall in love" with each sport because i was worried about the risk factor and the fact that i could leave small children behind....they are 8, 11,17, and 18. here was the conclusion i came up with. I would rather them see me dieing at doing something that i love than for them to not see me living my life to the fullest. here is a kicker...i got hurt this season...it has been tough on the kids (and my sweet husband who took time out of his jumping to make sure i didn't feel bad).....and i missed out on some terrific jumps....but, it has humbled me. I am still willing to take the risks to do what i love, but i try to be as safety concious as possible. I have a pro track in my helmet, i jump a conservative canopy, i don't swoop, I have an aad. You will see that everyone percieves risk differently and that are different risks that people are willing to take. You will find your place in the skydive world and you will love it and hate it at times as it can be frustrating. But I can honestly tell you that i have never had such a great family as the family that i have in the skydiving community....they have seen me at my best and my very worse and still loved me for who i am.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Once I had confirmed that it was THERE, SQUARE, and (after performing practice turns and flares) STEERABLE, I let out a sigh of relief and just took in the view over the West Point drop zone. Absolutely breathtaking!!

Ahh... brings back a memory of my AFF1 about two years ago. I audibly said 'Thank God' upon seeing a canopy over my head.

So, there you have it. I thoroughly enjoyed the very intense and exhilirating RUSH from being in free fall and I want to do it again SOOO badly, but I too have my reservations about putting my life at risk each time I jump. What I'd really like to know is how did some of you seasoned jumpers know that this is what you wanted to do and what influenced your decision that the rewards you have experienced from this sport (for you individually) significantly outweigh the risks?

I questioned why I was jumping until things started to click around jump 6. I finished aff in 6, and my 7th was my favorite dive. It's a totally new experience once you get off student status. Moreover, once you start jumping with groups, it gets even better. Factor in the friends, and the dropzone experience, and there really isn't anything else like it.

Coming out of ground school, I had the impression that accidents were frequent and uncontrollable. After listening to more and more stories, jumping, and hanging out on DZ.com, I came to realize that 'high order polynomial' risks can be mitigated through your own actions and choices. I only jump what I pack, I pull (relatively) high at 3500, and I don't try aggressive canopy manuevers. I tell myself that this minimizes the risk enough for me to feel comfortable, and keeps it inline with my other activities.

Provided you can afford it, stick with it long enough to do some solo and group dives. That's when the hook REALLY gets you!:ph34r:

thank you all! i am thoroughly convinced i'm making the right decision and probably one of the best decisions of my life. the first one was deciding to attend Virginia Tech, and without that, i don't think i would have considered skydiving.

Congrats on your first jump - and welcome to the sport!

Stay current as best you can, and ask your instructors tons of questions. It sounds as if you have a good attitude, which seems to be one of the most important factors in this activity.

It's also VERY important that you follow the beer rules. You'll know when it's time. ;)

T.I.N.S.

Like many have said, if you continue you'll likely have those 'Why the F**K am I DOING this?!?!?' thoughts again, usually on the way to altitude. (And of course, it all goes away the second you're out the door). :)
But that's part of what drew me to the sport - the act of facing that fear and deciding to go on with it. Since jumping out of airplanes is a totally unnatural thing, it's really a 'mind-over-matter' scenario.

The other thing that drew me in was that it can be a team sport...but ultimately, it's an individual thing. There is no solid progression in skydiving (with the exception of a few rules of 'don't do X until you have Y jumps') - it' up to you to choose which disciplines you enjoy, and how good you want to be. Then to have the self-discipline to make it happen.

That's the 'reward' part. As for your other question about how to justify the risk of it...

...I remind myself that skydiver or not, none of us is guaranteed dinner tonight. It's dangerous to cross the street. It's dangerous to drive a car. Heck, seems like all of the yummiest foods you can eat have been shown to cause cancer.

Sooner or later, one of those everyday things is gonna get you. But paradoxically, there's an inherent freedom that comes from that.

Since I don't know if my number will be drawn when I'm 95 or tomorrow, it really makes the decision an easy one for me. I see something I love doing, and it's right there in front of me - if I don't go after it now, I might never get the chance.

So I choose to go out and make it happen. And I'm a whole hell of a lot happier for it. ;)

Signatures are the new black.

Congrat's, welcome, GOOD JOB and ... BEER!!!

I was hooked on the first jump and was screaming my head off at 2k that it didnt last long enough and I wanted to go again. This started out as faceing a fear now it's all abought being totaly focused on the moment it puts things in prespective for me.

We had a jumper/pilot a long time back that took his dog on 2 jumps. The first time that litle mut was bouncing off the ground 3-4' & running in circles to beat the band. The 2nd jump the dog pissed all over him! So go back and do #2 and see what you think. You'll find in time that the risk/reward thing will either even out for you, or you'll stop jumping. I've got my money on it equaling out for you based on your reaction to the first jump!

Just stay aware of whats happening around you, practice your emergency procedures, jump as often as possible and never think you know it all.

Find other ways of saying "first" or buy stock in the local favorite beer.;) By my count you owe the world 3 cases for this post and usage of the word "first":o, 1 for jumping, 1 for saveing your own life, 1 for pulling high... ya get it or should I keep counting:D

Good job... dont die
Bill

Yes, I owe beer, I know! But not three cases worth. Technically speaking, if more than one "first" occurs in a single jump, only one case of beer is owed.

"Firsts" from jump #1:
First JUMP
First jump out of a CASA
First time pulling high

... first time saving my life?? I don't think that really counts. I think you save your life by remembering to PULL each time. Although, I did have a slight malfunction: line twists. So maybe it does sort of count, but I didn't have to act to correct the problem, because it corrected itself. Bah, I'm splitting hairs now. ;)

I'm going to the DZ this weekend and I will buy a case of beer AFTER jump #2. Who knows? I might have a first on THAT jump and end up owing another case. I think I'll save my trip to the store. :P

"First time saving your own life" is most likely a reference to us Static Line babies - the first time you actually pull for yourself instead of having the static line do it for you. We call it a Clear & Pull, and it's usually done between 3k and 4k.

You'll have the pleasure of doing one before you graduate AFF. B|

T.I.N.S.

Ah ha, then that does make sense. Heck, I'll buy beer regardless. I can hand out cans and practice my emergency procedures. ;)

That static line jump should be fun

No, no - you won't have to make an SL jump - you'll have to do a regular pull like you normally do. It will just be from a lower-than-normal exit altitude, 3k or so. Ask your instructors about your Hop-n-pop, and they'll explain it better.

Sorry for the confusion. I suck. ;)

T.I.N.S.

Yes, I owe beer, I know! But not three cases worth. Technically speaking, if more than one "first" occurs in a single jump, only one case of beer is owed.

You're the *first* person to ever attempt to use this bullshit rule. You own another case to Westpoint for this.;)

You're the *first* person to ever attempt to use this bullshit rule. You own another case to Westpoint for this.;)

No, that is a rule where i jump so i think she has got it right!;) So she would definately not be the first.B|
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!