CMiller

Surprise Zero G

"Uh, sorry Goose. WE happened to see a MiG 28 do a 4g negative dive."

What would be REAL cool is if the door was open while pulling negative G's and someone did a real "floating" exit out of the door. ;)

While it may be fun to have the neet quip this is a topical forum and thus more serious in nature than Bonfire. No, it would not be real cool to put someone in freefall that was not expecting it just so we can have a "yahoo" moment.

But yes a floating exit has been done. I've seen the video done in a Twin Otter. The jumper was on the floor near fetal position. Zero G (negative Gs put you on the roof) and then pushed left rudder which rotated the plane away from the jumper and the jumper "went" out the door.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

What would be REAL cool is if the door was open while pulling negative G's and someone did a real "floating" exit out of the door. ;)

While it may be fun to have the neet quip this is a topical forum and thus more serious in nature than Bonfire. No, it would not be real cool to put someone in freefall that was not expecting it just so we can have a "yahoo" moment.

But yes a floating exit has been done. I've seen the video done in a Twin Otter. The jumper was on the floor near fetal position. Zero G (negative Gs put you on the roof) and then pushed left rudder which rotated the plane away from the jumper and the jumper "went" out the door.

Isn't there significant risk of a tail strike?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I apologize if my sarcasm was misleading, especially in the safety forum. I wholeheartedly agree with you that it would be a very dangerous thing to attempt. I'm actually really surprised (or...maybe not really all that surprised) that someone has already done this.

Can't you technically be floating at -0.5 G's? Wouldn't you have to be at a full -1.0 G to be totally pinned on the roof of the fuselage?

Can't you technically be floating at -0.5 G's? Wouldn't you have to be at a full -1.0 G to be totally pinned on the roof of the fuselage?

In order to "float" relative to the plane - it will have to experience the same acceleration as your body - that is 1 G towards the earth. You are accelerating towards ground at 1G, plane - at .5G. Relative to the plane you will still be accelerating at .5G. To float, your body has to be accelerating at 0G relative to the plane. If that makes any sense...

I apologize if my sarcasm was misleading, especially in the safety forum. I wholeheartedly agree with you that it would be a very dangerous thing to attempt. I'm actually really surprised (or...maybe not really all that surprised) that someone has already done this.

Ok no problem smokie.

While those videos were cool; shutting off engines and climbing on the roof, barrel rolling the plane on exit, etc has GOT to be dangerous. That being said, I'd still consider going for a ride with them.... once or twice- gotto work with the odds here!

But seriously, I'd be shocked if no one's ever been severely injured while exiting that plane.
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

That's the easiest way to launch a raft dive out of a tail gate. You just need the pilots to get it right on the first try (not after several) so you don't end up landing waaay off the airport in a field with hungry cows.

I agree with you. I did my first and only raft jump at Rantoul and we used a zero G launch from a Casa. The pilot knew what he was doing. There was 3 jumpers in the raft and 4 jumpers around it to stabilize including myself at the front left. I was pretty sure that would be a total mess but surprisingly with had a perfect exit and held the raft from 13500 to 5500.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.