SpeedRacer

I finally bought an IPOD

:D

I got the 60 GB with the video capabilities. I'm going to open the box right now.

So my home stereo CD/radio/tape player died on me a few months back. I want to have a new home stereo based on the IPOD. What would be a good speaker system to plug the IPOD into?
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I'm by no means and audiophile but I'd just get a nice shelf system that has an Auxilary input.

How big of a room is this going in?
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

I would find a system independent of the iPod. The iPod can plug into any home stereo system, whether it's designed for it or not, as long as it has RCA input ports, or a line in jack.

Find something nice, and I almost guarantee the iPod will work fine with it.

Dude, your going about it all wrong.

Buy really nice system.

Buy Mac G4 Powerbook.

Install all your tunes on Itunes.

Get the airport reciever and plug into the wall behind stereo and plug that optical port into your stereo.

Whala....wireless Itunes that you can take anywhere with you (reciever) and play your music wirelessly. Even the DZ.;)

Course, this will cost you around 4k, but whos countn?

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

Dude, your going about it all wrong.

Buy really nice system.

Buy Mac G4 Powerbook.

Install all your tunes on Itunes.

Get the airport reciever and plug into the wall behind stereo and plug that optical port into your stereo.

Whala....wireless Itunes that you can take anywhere with you (reciever) and play your music wirelessly. Even the DZ.;)

Course, this will cost you around 4k, but whos countn?

Good call. And, if you're anywhere near Santa Rosa, come buy it from me. ;)

Nice. You're going to love it.

What do you want the speaker system to do? Does it have to play anything else, aside from the iPod?

If all you need is something to play the iPod out of, you can get fairly good quality for cheaper than if you need a CD, tape player, or whatever.

I've played around with most of the iPod oriented speakers on the market. I think the best compromise of sound quality and price is probably the JBL On Stage, but there are a ton of different options (here are the ones at the Apple store, but there are many others.

If you live close to an Apple store, a good bet is to just walk in and try them all out (they have them all set up so you can walk from one to the next, and they usually don't mind if you crank the volume to listen for distortion, etc).

I've got a cheap little Sony speaker that I use all the time, as well, and it travels well (and takes batteries for use away from power outlets). I can't find a link right now, but you can get them from a lot of different places.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Guest 1010
A Harmon Kardon solution is looking interesting, but I have yet to see a store have it all hooked up ... anyone know if it really works? If you find it all hooked up, post about it please. ;)

A docking station (The Bridge) connects your iPod to the Harmon Kardon AVR 140/240/340/73xx home theater receiver, from which you use the normal remote control to choose songs / manage the ipod through the tv screen. Charges the iPod etc too.

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a Ipod Nano 4gb.
Anyone have one? It looks like there isn't anything better for the price.

I bought one for my wife shortly after they came out...it's a real slick piece of work. Small, light, sharp screen.

But, you know what, I'd buy a video capable iPod if I was in the market....I've already converted our club's year end video to iPod specs and I'm awaiting the chance to take it down to my Apple dealer and see what it looks like.

Thanatos340 will shortly tell you of all the better alternatives ;) He don't like iPods...I love my old 2nd gen 20gb and think my wife's 4gb nano is a great little item.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I just got my 30gb white with video last week and I'm loving it! I take a commuter train 1 hour each way to work since we moved to San Jose and the Ipod makes it much more bearable! Be sure to subscribe to the SkydiveRadio podcast!

Christina

I'm seriously thinking about getting a Ipod Nano 4gb.
Anyone have one? It looks like there isn't anything better for the price.

Got mine the day they came out. Love it. I was waiting for something that small with full iPod capablilites (Shuffle is lame). It's perfect for me. I don't need days and days worth of music on my ipod. 4GB is plenty for me and you can't beat the size.

just got my 30gb white with video last week and I'm loving it! I take a commuter train 1 hour each way to work since we moved to San Jose and the Ipod makes it much more bearable! Be sure to subscribe to the SkydiveRadio podcast!

OK, how do podcasts work? You must have to download pre-recorded programs each time, right?

What would it take to simply have an IPOD that also has a radio receiver in it? This is what I don't quite get right now. maybe I'm making an idiot of myself & I just don't understand. I'm new to this. But I would like to use my IPOD as the center of my home stereo system, but I also wanna listen to the radio sometimes too. And also, what if I'm out somewhere with just my IPOD & wanna hear a live radio broadcast? can that be done?
Speed Racer

just got my 30gb white with video last week and I'm loving it! I take a commuter train 1 hour each way to work since we moved to San Jose and the Ipod makes it much more bearable! Be sure to subscribe to the SkydiveRadio podcast!

OK, how do podcasts work? You must have to download pre-recorded programs each time, right?

What would it take to simply have an IPOD that also has a radio receiver in it? This is what I don't quite get right now. maybe I'm making an idiot of myself & I just don't understand. I'm new to this. But I would like to use my IPOD as the center of my home stereo system, but I also wanna listen to the radio sometimes too. And also, what if I'm out somewhere with just my IPOD & wanna hear a live radio broadcast? can that be done?

Negative, ghost rider.

Why can't they have it all in the same machine? Why should someone have to carry both an IPOD AND a Walkman? I mean, it seems like a no-brainer to me that someone should be able to access pre-recorded stuff AND live stuff. WTF? Am I missing something here?
Speed Racer

So I talked to my techonolgy somewhat wise brother whop said that I should rather go for an older, full size ipod off of ebay.

All I want is music in my ears, plenty to carry around, for a cheap price.

1 - Is the big ipod really THAT much heavier?
2 - What is the difference to me between firewire and USB?
3 - Hard drive and flash?

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

Why can't they have it all in the same machine? Why should someone have to carry both an IPOD AND a Walkman? I mean, it seems like a no-brainer to me that someone should be able to access pre-recorded stuff AND live stuff. WTF? Am I missing something here?

You can buy add-on FM receivers among many other products for your iPod.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

So I talked to my techonolgy somewhat wise brother whop said that I should rather go for an older, full size ipod off of ebay.

All I want is music in my ears, plenty to carry around, for a cheap price.

1 - Is the big ipod really THAT much heavier?
2 - What is the difference to me between firewire and USB?
3 - Hard drive and flash?

My old 2nd gen 20gb iPod feels like a brick compared to the 4th gen models and the 5th gen models are even smaller. Smaller is nicer...and the video capabilities will be very cool.

USB 2.0 is the way Apple is going. If you don't have firewire you'd have to add a card to your machine. If you don't have USB 2.0 you'll also have to add it...USB 1.1 is way too slow for GBs of transfer.

Hard drive - more capacity, possible skipping
Flash - Less capacity, faster access, no skipping, smaller form factor.

I wouldn't buy an older model...buy a new one with video, sharp screen, warranty, etc.
--
Murray

My dad got the the G5 30 gig for his birthday....your welcome heh .....man I'm going to get myself one very very very soon I love this thing........the video is pretty sweet.....there is already a lot of very cool software- Non apple- ...you can put dvd movies right on this thing and then play them on a tv.....I'd like to have a nano for just music as well.....

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "