craichead

Question about Health Insurance Continuity

AndyMan and I have a small dilemma.

My health insurance ends November 25th, and AndyMan's doesn't start up until December 1st. We're considering going uninsured for this "in limbo" week, but we're under the impression that it's not such a good idea to have a lapse (no matter how small) in insurance coverage.

We won't be jumping in the limbo week since the season ends this weekend, so we're not worried about accidents. What we're most concerned about are the possible consequences of the lapse, e.g. the new insurance won't cover pre-existing conditions.

Is a short period of no coverage a problem? Is it worthwhile to buy additional COBRA to ensure non-stop coverage? The monthly cost of the COBRA premium is about the same as Andy's contribution for group coverage through his company (covering us both).

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

if AndyMan's coverage is a group coverage through his employer, then all pre-existing conditions are covered. (check with the insurance company.)

if i were you, i will get COBRA coverage for that 5 days you are uninsured. just to be safe. although in some states, like mine, you can get free health care if needed. however, you will have to go to a public hospital and wait (minimum 6-8 hours is common) just to be seen by a healthcare practitioner.

Not all pre-existing coverages are automatically covered, you need to check with your new employer to verify any rules/regulations regarding this.

Especially if you have a lapse in coverage...in many states as long as the lapse is not greater than 60 days, you won't have as much issue with pre-existing coverages being included.

You still need to check however...don't just assume.

I am not a Benefits administrator, but I am an HR guy...and this is a common question/dilemna that I deal with all the time.

if AndyMan's coverage is a group coverage through his employer, then all pre-existing conditions are covered. (check with the insurance company.)

Not true... depends on state law actually.

Fork up the money for COBRA for 5 days - it won't be much.

Jen
Arianna Frances

Typically, so long as you had prior coverage within 63 days of the start of your new coverage, pre-existing conditions will be covered. When your insurance ends, they should send you a "Certificate of Credible Coverage." Keep that in the event that the new insurance tries to deny coverage of a pre-existing problem

Still, it ain't a bad idea to get COBRA and maintain continuity. Sure, it'll cost, but it prevents a bigger problem from occurring.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Assuming you are the one who is eligible for COBRA, you *should* be able to buy it retroactively to your last day of work. Generally, the way COBRA works, is that within a few days/weeks of your last day of work you'll get the enrollment forms. You then have 60 days to make a decision; if you choose it, you buy it retroactive to your last day.

So, it's an easy way to go "uninsured" without the risk.

PLEASE don't rely on this info as gospel - check with your benefits administrator for the COBRA enrollment procedures. But I have successfully done this before.

And, as others have advised, check on the continuity of coverage requirements for preexisting conditions on the new coverage.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Not true... depends on state law actually.

Jen

What she said. I dealt with this issue back in January - March, 2004. I needed to show my insurance company that I got through work that I had previous insurance within 63 days of the new coverage.

The new insurer may cover pre-exiting conditions after 6 months, but they sure won't like it.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Assuming you are the one who is eligible for COBRA, you *should* be able to buy it retroactively to your last day of work.

Yah, someone else mentioned that to me via PM. In my original post, I failed to include that we're currently under COBRA coverage. My job ended May 25th and as part of my severance package, my employer paid 6 months worth of COBRA coverage. I'm not sure how the retroactive thing works in that situation. I'm going to call HR today to get more info.

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

Fork up the money for COBRA for 5 days - it won't be much.

Hmm, I didn't know you could do that...I thought it had to be purchased in monthly blocks. I guess they could prorate it. I'll ask HR about that, too.

_Pm
__

What she said. You shouldn't need to buy COBRA unless something happens . . . you can sign up retroactively if something happens in that 6 days, and it'll be covered. Just check on the pre-ex limitation on Andy's policy, and as long as the 63 grace period applies, there's no reason to take COBRA.

I just spoke with the HR Director, and she said that coverage had to be purchased in monthly blocks. She seemed very reluctant to give me information about retroactive coverage once my current COBRA coverage is canceled.

_Pm
__

Yes, my job ended on May 25th. My severance package included six months of COBRA coverage, so now I'm trying to figure out what happens when I decide not to continue that coverage. I talked to the HR Director about it, but I can't seem to get a clear answer, so I emailed her assistant instead (no answer, yet).

_Pm
__

I thought you could get COBRA for up to 18 months... that, again, may be a state by state thing though...

Why is there a lapse in coverage though? When I left my job my husbands insurance was able to pick up right away because of the drop in my coverage - we didn't have to wait until the first of the month.

Jen
Arianna Frances

Yes, it's available for 18 months, but my former employer is only paying for 6 months of it. We're trying to decide if we should pay for one additional month that will mostly overlap with Andy's. We have a lapse because Andy's job started in October, and he has a 60 day waiting period until he's eligible for his insurance.

_Pm
__