love2flyhigh

MY NEW V3 MICRON

I know i have allready said that I had gotten it but now I am back from Iraq and I have pics. ENJOY!

IMO, the absolute BEST rig on the market today

Congrats
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

be careful to tuck the secondary risercovers fully in so they don't settle with a bulge or misplaced fold. V3's 2nd risercovers are sensitive to it during the first 50-ish jumps/2 months.

Nice rig man, very nice! enjoy it =)
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

Gorgeous rig if you like a sort of psychedelic approach. I have a Vector III M series and personally prefer a classy approach for the container. Congratulations, you have the most tested rig on the market. Looking at the pictures I can see you have probably magnet riser covers and we can see the 3D spacer confort back pad. I hope you have the SKYHOOK installed inside. As I said already, right now, no other manufacturers can top that.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

There is no tuck tab on this rig anymore, look at the riser cover configuration on this rig, it's different than before and this rig is likely equiped with magnet riser covers. On those new Vector III M and Micron, the risers are placed under the narrow flap located below the riser cover. Before with rigs with tuck tabs, as you said it was recommanded to wait 50 jumps to do so but with the new ones, it doesn't apply anymore.

There is no tuck tab on this rig anymore, look at the riser cover configuration on this rig, it's different than before and this rig is likely equiped with magnet riser covers. On those new Vector III M and Micron, the risers are placed under the narrow flap located below the riser cover. Before with rigs with tuck tabs, as you said it was recommanded to wait 50 jumps to do so but with the new ones, it doesn't apply anymore.

Where does it say that on the UPT site, because I've not seen it?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I don't understand what you mean. I haven't seen a new Vector up close, but it looks like the secondary riser covers are the same. They were never "tuck tabs," they always just folded over the risers and were covered by the outer riser covers. If they aren't seated properly, they can get curved and bulge out... and take a set that way. I've had no problems with mine, but I have seen other Vector 3s that have secondary riser covers that always stick out, since they weren't taken care of early on. Is there really anything different about the new ones?

Dave

Take the first picture of the rig (view from the rear), look at the left side (on the picture) at the top and you can see the outside riser cover in blue get inside the slit under the yellow/red part of the yoke (from outside and not going around). The owner should have rare earth magnets installed in that outside riser cover. The edge of that cover just barely goes inside the slit of the yoke and is mainly held in place by the magnets. There is no tuck tab going around deep in the slit (which was on the inside side of the yoke before) anymore like the Vector III I had before (2003). Bill Booth explained that he came with that solution to get a more uniform force holding the riser covers (ie. the magnets, 2 in each cover and 2 matching in the narrow flap under it) The narrow flap looks like the one before on the Vector III but now you put the riser under it at the first jump and on and that narrow flap has magnets to match the magnets from the riser covers. I hope this explanation is OK. Don't hesitate to ask other question.
NOTE: I had a Vector III with tuck tab on the riser covers from 2003 to 2007 and I made almost 400 jumps with it. I never had any real problem with that. Just sometimes the cover became undone when the rig was on the ground or being "dressed" on me at the gear up. When on your back with chest strap and leg straps done no more problem. Just put the tab deep in the slit with your fingers.
Now I have the Vector III with the magnets like the one we discuss here. The riser covers even get closed after the canopy is deployed. As I said packers like it a lot. Easier and faster for them. The yoke however is quite different than before.

I think you're answering a question that wasn't asked - the other poster was talking about the SECONDARY riser covers, not tuck tabs or the magnetic riser covers. The V3 manual still states to not use the secondaries for 50 jumps or so until they settle in.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Here is the link (OPTIONS) from UPT web site for what we are discussing. This is for a VECTOR III M-Series but they have the same option for the Micron.

http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22

get down using the vertical bar and:

Look at "Magnetic riser cover" and see there is a nice picture and explanation.
At your service.

Here is the link (OPTIONS) from UPT web site for what we are discussing. This is for a VECTOR III M-Series but they have the same option for the Micron.

http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22

get down using the vertical bar and:

Look at "Magnetic riser cover" and see there is a nice picture and explanation.
At your service.

I'm well aware of what the magnetic riser covers ARE, thank you - I plan to get them on my next Vector.

Again, what lilchief was talking about was the SECONDARY riser covers and how UPT recommends (in the V3 manual) that they NOT be used for the first 50 or so jumps to let them settle in.

lilchief was NOT talking about tuck tabs or the primary riser covers. You answered a question that wasn't asked.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

OK I see what you mean but there is still confusion.
1) we have long sideway outside riser cover closing toward the center of the rig
2) we have long inside riser cover being put toward the outside of the rig under the #1) cover
3) the #1) cover at the top had before tuck tab going around in a slit located on the inside part of the yoke but not anymore with the new VECTOR III
4) the small narrow tab or flap at the top located under the #1) cover was requiring to have the main riser passing over it for 50 jumps but not anymore with the new VECTOR III with magnets. You put the main riser always over that narrow tab or flap now. That narrow flap (I call it a flap) (2 inches wide and 4 inches long) has now magnets in it to match the magnets of the #1) cover on the top.
A guy was concerned with the fact that at packing you have to make sure the long #2) riser cover is well placed under the #1) cover to make sure it will not get wrong crease. I do my best. Words are quite limited for explanation.

OK I see what you mean but there is still confusion.
1) we have long sideway outside riser cover closing toward the center of the rig

Correct - the 'outer' riser cover (black in the pictures of the riser cover on the UPT site)

2) we have long inside riser cover being put toward the outside of the rig under the #1) cover

Correct - the 'inner' riser cover

3) the #1) cover at the top had before tuck tab going around in a slit located on the inside part of the yoke but not anymore with the new VECTOR III

Correct - the magnet risers no longer have the tuck tab

4) the small narrow tab or flap at the top located under the #1) cover was requiring to have the main riser passing over it for 50 jumps but not anymore with the new VECTOR III with magnets. You put the main riser always over that narrow tab or flap now.

You have a cite for that? It's not mentioned anywhere on the UPT site OR in the Vector manual.

That narrow flap (I call it a flap) (2 inches wide and 4 inches long) has now magnets in it to match the magnets of the #1) cover on the top.

You're referring to the inboard portion of the outer cover that receives the outboard portion of the outer cover, I take it. (White in the pictures of the riser cover on the UPT site)

A guy was concerned with the fact that at packing you have to make sure the long #2) riser cover is well placed under the #1) cover to make sure it will not get wrong crease. I do my best. Words are quite limited for explanation.

That is correct and still valid per the information on the UPT site and the Vector manual.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I checked my new Vector III owner's manual (now it's a DVD) and found out that the rig shown in it is still the type I had before with tuck tab. I wonder if this is the way they still do the rig when one doesn't take the magnets in option. I checked also my rig and with the magnets riser cover installed, the main riser has to be put under the narrow tab containing the magnets. On my former Vector III with tuck tab an inscription was written on the narrow tab asking you to put the main riser above that tab for 50 jumps. This is what your rig should have. But on mine, the inscription is not there anymore.
mnealtx, it was a pleasure to exchange with you for the benefit of everybody concerned. Thanks.