Rebecca

6.9 earthquake off Japan; tsunami warning issued

When King was hit by the van and was in really bad shape all I could think about was who was going to finish the story!! I was bummed that it might end with Rowland still just on the beam....

I know the fear of which you speak for I too have felt it deep within me.

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

I found that his books all seemed to start to take on the same theme of the creepy northeastern town and its whacky inhabitants. I loved the way Randall Flag was inserted into multiple books, even for just cameo appearances. And the way he tied different stories together with crossover characters and locations. But I think my tastes changed to something more indepth than anything he's capable of cranking out. The last couple books I've read have been The Divine Comedy and The Brothers Karamazov.

But I think my tastes changed to something more indepth than anything he's capable of cranking out. The last couple books I've read have been The Divine Comedy and The Brothers Karamazov.

Both good books, no doubt. I enjoyed them when I read them years ago...as a matter of fact, I should reread them again. Thanks for reminding me.

Several classis authors which people don't seem to read much anymore are Theo. Drieser and Edith Wharton. Some of their books - Ethan Frome, for example - tell a story of humanity which we'd rather not always know about, but are good. Yes, I was the english geek in HS...I read that one for a book report, along with Sister Carrie and several of Wharton's works. A more "modern" writer is Margaret Atwood, who wrote "Crake and Oryx" and "The Handmaid's Tale", both very interesting commentary on future events. I want to get her "Blind Assassin" very much...but that will wait until after Christmas.

There are lots and lots of things out there for people to read, in-depth or just plain entertaining. But don't assume King can't get down to the same level that others do; he does, it's just in clothing some people don't recognize, or in ways they aren't used to. That's one of the reasons he's such a great writer (imho).

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Well then why'd they make such a big headline splash with it?

because it IS a big deal. 6+ is news.

i've seen documentaries on Japan and earthquakes.
they have a "measurable" earthquake every 15 minutes in some areas. you can't necessarily feel it, but the instruments pick it up.

the myth was that it was dragons moving around.

their original building style had slotted trusses that could allow 6" of movement.

By far, the scariest book I have read.

I'm gonna have nightmarez b/c of your icon :D. I'm a chicken shit when it comes to scary movies :D That book gives me the creeps too.

Back to the topic at hand: I hope there isn't a tsunami anywhere. The earth has had enough this hurricane season and with the last big wave. [:/]
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

According to that website it came out in 1987 but the Stand came out in 1978.

Try again.

rawr!

Don't be dissin my man Stephen King! Some people fail to realize he also wrote the Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Cujo, Christine, Firestarter, Hearts in Atlantis, Carrie, etc....:P

I have almost every book written by Stephen King, in hardcover, up to about 1998. Nothing after that...

They're all great stories.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

i've seen documentaries on Japan and earthquakes.
they have a "measurable" earthquake every 15 minutes in some areas. you can't necessarily feel it, but the instruments pick it up.

Pretty much everywhere along the pacific rim has loads of earthquakes every day. The vast majority of them could easily be mistaken for a truck driving by the building you're in.