sinker

to artistcalledian

Being deliberately crass is now called subtle humor?

Yeah, I agree that's the wrong label. If there's word that amalgamates, "dry," "black," "shock," and "targeting a very small market," then that would be more applicable.

I admit, I laugh my ass off at the vast majority of Ian's shit: a comrade-at-arms, if you will. But then again, I had a giveashitglandectomy many years ago, so I'm pretty open-minded and if I do have any insecurities, they're really really really low-pro. For those who don't get it, or for those whose wadded panties twist up even more when reading such stuff, then why bother reacting to it? There are plenty of other threads to read!

The log comment was clever. And funny. And I wished it had been directed at me, because I LOVE trading friendly barbs with someone who's gifted with that kind of creativity. Is that for everyone? No. These aren't the droids you're looking for. Move along.

IMHO, the dead dog incident was out of line (even I wouldn't go there), but I've often consorted with people who've made far worse indiscretions, much less enjoyed their company. Just look at the people with whom we hang out at the DZ.

And on that note, most of us here are skydivers... Blue Skies, Black Death, you know? Why is it that so many here lately are so reactive and sensitive to fucking little things? It sometimes feels like more and more people are posting here after having just got done watching Oprah and are waiting for TRL to come on... sheesh.

I've seen it happen in skydiving. I've seen it happen in the rave scene. Is this culture evolution (popularization) gonna happen to BASE, too? Fuck, I might as well just get back into crochet now and cut my losses.

EDIT: For Skymama, I'm totally with you. Rules are rules, and I don't envy your job. My post is not directed at moderator actions.

And on that note, most of us here are skydivers... Blue Skies, Black Death, you know? Why is it that so many here lately are so reactive and sensitive to fucking little things? It sometimes feels like more and more people are posting here after having just got done watching Oprah and are waiting for TRL to come on... sheesh.

I've seen it happen in skydiving. I've seen it happen in the rave scene. Is this culture evolution (popularization) gonna happen to BASE, too? Fuck, I might as well just get back into crochet now and cut my losses.

w/ you, I can be crass and rude, and you and I know it's cool. just about the same w/ rl. and a few others here.

but when you don't know the person, or when it's clear the person is dealing w/ a hurt, a loss --especially a death for crissakes-- is it so much to ask for some sensitivity? you say you've had a giveashitectomy or whatever it was, but truth be told, you have good sense about you, your intelligent, and you know, generally, when to reign it in.

i don't think people are asking for emasculated, dr. phil, big purple dinosaur "I love you" bull-shit. They're just asking for a little descency and tact. And that should be displayed anywhere you go... skydiving, base jumping, it shouldn't matter. It comes w/ being human. There's a time and place for everything, and AC clearly doesn't know or care about that. So fuck'im. Yeah, some of his shit is funny. But some of it is just.... ugh.

I mean, if you want to just be a crass fucktard all the time, it's funny to some, but not to most. You'll just have a really small audience. If you're cool w/ it, so be it.

For me, I'd rather enjoy the vast, ecclectic population this site has to offer, and that means that, in certain circles, I have to (try to) adjust my style of communicating.

-the artist formerly known as sinker

IMHO, the dead dog incident was out of line (even I wouldn't go there), but I've often consorted with people who've made far worse indiscretions, much less enjoyed their company. Just look at the people with whom we hang out at the DZ.

I'm pretty sure I said this already, but I have no objection to black humor. For a time after a friend of mine nearly burned himself to death in power lines, the joke of the day was, "Maddog quit smoking...halfway to the hospital," and some people began referring to him as "Hotdog." Made me laugh...as soon as I was sure he was going to live, that is.

Black humor is a shield against death and pain and suffering, but if misapplied, it is even more hurtful than what it insulates against. I know all the really bad skydiving jokes, but you wouldn't catch me telling them to the family of someone who just went in.

Ian's entre into Squink's thread was so far from funny as to be shocking--at least to me. Much like the rest of us, I apply my experience to what I see of others, and I make judgments about whether I would want to know that person better or to be his friend. I know enough about the sort of person who behaves as Ian did and does, with all the subtleties, that I just want nothing to do with him. I don't much care about the posts he aims at me--and there's nothing he has written to me that is worthy of banning, IMO, but I'm just as happy to see him gone.

I prefer a little elegance in my humor--I refer you to the posts of Skinflicka in the Base Zone for true dry English wit. If it's quality, it's worth reading, but if one is not smart enough and clever enough to do it elegantly, it's a waste of my time.

rl

Edited to add note to MooChooser: If it were just the internet, it would be one thing--you expect that--but in this case it's a community that reaches into the real world in a major way. A lot of these people know each other live and in-person. It's not just some anonymous bulletin board where a troll is just another voice on the net.
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

In my opinion, nothing a stranger says to you or anybody else on the internet is worth getting upset about. Think that the person is a twat by all means but don't take any of it to heart. At the end of the day you'd probably be mates anyway if you shared the same DZ.

Seems to me it's just kiddies on the playground defending those in their 'in' group.
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

I'm not even part of the "in" group and I think the guy's a troll. He manages to push so many buttons one way or another that people can't take anymore and it escalates from there which is really all part of what he wanted. It IS deliberate. He's getting a big laugh over this right now while he's working on yet another user name which will also get banned. Its all a big joke to him and threads like this just feed into it. And I just did too by posting yet again, but your "in crowd" comments just got to me!

I'm not even part of the "in" group and I think the guy's a troll. He manages to push so many buttons one way or another that people can't take anymore and it escalates from there which is really all part of what he wanted. It IS deliberate. He's getting a big laugh over this right now while he's working on yet another user name which will also get banned. Its all a big joke to him and threads like this just feed into it. And I just did too by posting yet again, but your "in crowd" comments just got to me!

Is this guy your ex? Pardon me for asking, but I generally don't see this kind of resentment outside of realationships gone bad.

Hey, whatever. Apparently people have wrapped themselves in moral indignation and feel they must slay the beast for civilization to continue.

Ban him, shoot him, castrate him, whatever. It still seems to me like silly school yard bickering to me.
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

It IS silly school yard bickering. But your taking pot shots isn't? "Is this guy your Ex?" Geez. But everyone ELSE needs to grow up!

I'm simply pointing out that the guy is trolling, going out of his way to bait people and then he's sitting back and enjoying the show which everyone else is compelled to put on for him.

So, no he's not my ex and there's no real moral indignation here or any resentment. He's not worth my time. I've actully had some respect for your comments even when I didn't agree with them, but in this case, I think you are way out of line.