azureriders

More trouble at Gold Coast

I just got off the phone with Mike Igo who told me that he was on the losing end of a court order this morning which closed his DZ down for the moment. For those who are not familiar with the Gold Coast vs Trent Lott air port problems a search here will bring up some news from a few weeks back. Mike told me that he will be posting some details to http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/rworg

Those of you who know Mike and Lea Ann know how great they are and how awesome their DZ is/was. I hope they are able to get back up and jumping soon.

This is the email that Mike sent regarding the situation at Gold Coast. Several of us at Emerald Coast Skydiving Center (ECSC) had planned to go over to Gold Coast this weekend to show our support for him and his DZ.

However since he will be closed he is sending his Twin Otter over to us. I would like to invite every jumper from Gold Coast over to ECSC spend the weekend with us. Hopefully Mike will get this BS behind him and can resume his normal business.

This email is to inform all of our customers and staff that we will be closed this weekend (3 and 4 December). We were informed yesterday afternoon at 5 pm that we had to be in court today at 8 am, due to the Jackson County Airport Authority filing a temporary restraining order against us. The judge did grant a restraining order for this weekend and scheduled another hearing for Monday at 10:30 am. Due to the short notice of the hearing today our attorney could not be present as he had another hearing scheduled in Tennessee. Our attorney will be at the hearing Monday morning to defend our position with the Airport Authority. If you would like to come out and support us, a strong show of skydivers would be very welcome. Each and every one of you are an important part of our family and it would mean a great deal to us. If you are interested in attending please let us know and we can arrange to caravan over to the courthouse from the airport.

We apologize for the short notice and the inconvenience this email brings. Please know that Mike and I did everything we could at the hearing today to protect your right to skydive.

Our Super Otter will be at Emerald Coast this weekend.

We will let you know what Monday brings. Until then please keep Gold Coast in your thoughts and prayers.

Blue Skies,

Mike and Leanne Igo

"I'm not a gynecologist but I will take a look at it"
RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"

Sounds like there is an opportunity here...Mike has a consistent Jumpship, the Super Otter...MD at ECSC needs a consistent Jumpship to run his business each weekend and has a dz with a large landing area, safe outs, and beautiful beach jumps. I hope these two dzo's come up with a partnership of some sort...which would make me come "home" to visit the parents much more often:)
Regardless, I wish Mike and Leanne all the best as I know this has been a hell of a challenge for them.

Most of us at Emerald Coast are all for That !! Lets make our family much bigger !! Hopefully the management and staff can work out a plan. Right now there is a difference in training programs ( IAF vs AFF )and Jimmy Horak wants to be the S&TA and director of training. Mike and M.D. would have to come up with an agreement on how to best run the business. I believe if we could all work together we can make one hell of a great drop zone !! I am willing to do all I can to help.

Blue Skies, Timber

Most of us at Emerald Coast are all for That !! Lets make our family much bigger !! Hopefully the management and staff can work out a plan. Right now there is a difference in training programs ( IAF vs AFF )and Jimmy Horak wants to be the S&TA and director of training. Mike and M.D. would have to come up with an agreement on how to best run the business. I believe if we could all work together we can make one hell of a great drop zone !! I am willing to do all I can to help.

Blue Skies, Timber

I agree Timber. I think Jimmy staying as the S & TA isn't a bad idea. He's so heads up and observant about all the details..he's addressed several things with me early on which I actually appreciatiate and am grateful for..shit I didn't think or know about. He's all about safety. I really think that MD and Mike Igo can make a DREAM DZ...no doubt about it...and they can have an ideal staff and marketing and boogie ideas etc..you and I know what those are. ECSC can be what is known as the "OZ of the South" which everyone flocks to for beach jumps and the beauty of the Gulf Coast while the weather is crappy elsewhere. They have awesome facilities, weather, and access to everything from boating, scuba,and for the northerners a great vacation getaway!:)

***I am willing to do all I can to help.

Dude, You have been busting your ass around there for years and I appreciate it, as do many others. ECSC is a great DZ because of people like you, Becky, Slim, Rick, Danielle, Jimmy and the others that "make it happen". Hopefully MD and Mike can come to an agreement if things don't workout at GC. The potential here is unbelievable.

"I'm not a gynecologist but I will take a look at it"
RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"

Gold Coast is open this weekend, and there is another court date set. The official e-mail from Mike Igo is on the RWORG page I think.

They got the TRO knocked down and the case moved to district court, so it's a victory for the skydivers this time. It ain't over though... more rounds in the future.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

For those of us in northern climes, what's the issue at GC?

Some searching found this old thread, which is pretty much the beginning of the whole brouhaha. Basically the airport wants the DZ out. Something about the DZO catching them doing some dirty numbers trying to get more FAA money... That's not the only issue anyway but here's the link: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=1474641;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban