lawrocket

Favorite Beatle

Who is your favorite? And why?

This is the 25th anniversary of Lennon's murder, so I thought I'd bring it up. A quick forum search reveals that this hasn't been asked.

They were all such different personalities, each with some different strengths musically and socially.

My personal favorite was Paul. He is brilliant. He also was a perfectionist with the music, which would no doubt be irritating to anyone, as it was with the band. But, he also has the reputation of being simply one of the nicest and most personable guys in the world. Also, I prefer his solo career over all the others.

My second favorite would be George, for a number of reasons. He was usually the dark and brooding one, yet was the one who wrote Something and Here Comes the Sun on Abbey Road, two bright and wonderful songs on an album when they were all at each other's throat. Even Paul has said in the past that "Something" was the greatest song the Beatles ever did.

After that would probably come Ringo and John in a tie. I thought Ringo was a GREAT drummer. Why? Because he was a "drummer" and not some dude who did amazing stuff on the drums, a la Neil Peart. Ringo never overplayed and just kept a beat. he was also funny as hell.

Meanwhile, John was a brilliant talent (How does a 25 year-old write something like "In My Life?") But I think his problem was he took John Lennon - the man - too seriously and let his music take a second seat. It's too bad he was killed just when he started to do music again after abotu 5 years off to figure out what made him happy. But, he leaves a lasting legacy of the desire for peace, and I can't fault him for that at all.

I'd love to see what people think.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I like Pete...he's the Best!;)

Why did the Beatles get rid of Pete? The second reason was that he was not that good of a drummer - adequate, but nothing special.

But the big reason was he got all the girls. This is true.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I relate to John Lennon the most - his artistic side, but not really his political/activist side. But I think that they are all great musicians, and I love the stuff that they did as the Beatles quite a bit more than I love any of the stuff that they did on their own.

I like Pete...he's the Best!;)

Why did the Beatles get rid of Pete? The second reason was that he was not that good of a drummer - adequate, but nothing special.

But the big reason was he got all the girls. This is true.

Yes it is...but he was as good a drummer as Ringo....just "Let It BE";)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I grew up around the corner from the Dakota in New York City (this is the same building featured in the movie "Rosemary's Baby") and it really is a creepy looking structure. Anyway I recently saw an episode of "Headliners & Legends" on NBC concerning the nut case who shot John. I kept thinking, gee, this is just what this guy was after, notoriety and the chance to be "somebody." I thought about firing off an angry letter to the network, but in their pursuit of ratings they would probably count even negative letters as a good thing. I didn’t want them to even know I saw it . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

The Beatles were closer to my parent's generation than mine BUT probably the first rock and roll I actually listened to. I was a fan in Jr. High and High School, years after they broke up. I read all the books, saw the movies, bought the albums and plastered their posters in my room.

I've always had a soft spot for Ringo but John Lennon's death hit me like a ton of bricks. I can't believe it was 25 years ago either! I remember my dad telling me about it when he picked me up from work- funny because he wasn't ordinarily a sensitive thoughtful kind of guy, but he was then. And I remember hearing Imagine on the radio the next morning. I still get chills when I hear that song!

Definitely John. The stuff he did WITH and stuff he did without was amazing. Shaved Fish album was literally worn out at my house. I always respected his politics and willingness to continue to be open to stuff. So many artists today are worried about saying or doing the wrong thing and how it will affect sales or how they are perceived. Yeah...definitely, John.

I am a die-hard John Lennon fan. I absolutely loved his weirdness. He was quite the eccentric. The "Mind Games" years are just out there!! My oldest son was born naturally, one month early, and guess what?? On John Lennon's birthday, October 9th.